Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManOf7 Quote
So from what I read here, I should use AF-S for the standing still, and then AF-C for when he takes off or is in flight?
Yes. In AF-S the camera basically will only fire, when the AF has locked, whereas in AF-C you can shoot without waiting for the AF to lock.

Ben

05-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use of AF-c

I shot my son playing in the Conference Tournament for his college lacrosse team last weekend. Haven't processed ANYTHING yet, but the point is I used AF-c with the rear focus button enabled.

K10D, DA55~300 (SR enabled, TAv, 1/500, f/11, free ISO) and from what I can see in previews almost every shot is tack sharp. At 1/500 I stopped all motion except 100mph shots on goal.

I was also able to continuously zoom to keep players in good composition as they moved toward and away from me, and to pan while focusing and shooting.

I will post to this thread when I have some ready.
05-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

At f11 you should have everything in focus! Combined with 1/500 it must've been pretty god lighting.
05-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
At f11 you should have everything in focus! Combined with 1/500 it must've been pretty god lighting.
Actually I was a bit concerned about 1/500 and did shoot some at 1/1000. DoF is nearly the entire range from MFD to infinity.

It was an outdoor game with just a light cloud overcast, but very bright light directly overhead. I had asked some years ago for advice on settings to shoot Lacrosse and these were the consensus - has worked quite well.

05-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

You''re lucky. I shoot local rugby sometimes at a local park that has lights. I have to use f2.8 and 1/350, ISO1600 ish!! Not great.
05-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I used AF-c with the rear focus button enabled.
What's a rear focus button?
05-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The button on the back of the camera that says "AF".
I have turned off AF on the shutter button and use the rear button exclusively for AF. Good for sport.

05-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
The button on the back of the camera that says "AF".
I have turned off AF on the shutter button and use the rear button exclusively for AF. Good for sport.
Wow--I feel ridiculous, always referring to it as AE-L.

How is that better for sport? For getting a better grip/hold of the camera?
05-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, it's so the camera focuses when *you* ask it to, not on every shot as it would normally. If you're going to take a whiole bunch of shotsin a row of the same subject, no point letting the camera refocus between them. It justs slows things down and risks error. Although I have my camera set up the other way - focuses on half-press *unless* I press the rear button (labeled "OK" on my K200D).
05-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I like to keep my finger hal-pressed on the shutter button when taking action shots - it means I'm ready to fire, and it keeps SR activated (one of my wishes to to be able to turn it on full-time). But I'm not always pointing at what I want focussed, or if I am I usually have others running in front of or passed the camera, so if the camera was trying to focus the whole time it would get thrown by those other people. So by using the AF button (there is an AEL button as well) on the back I can control when it focusses.

When I am riding the shutter button to take a continuous sequence I usually also ride the AF button unless I see something coming either at the edge of the frame or out my other eye, it takes a bit of practice. I can now start and stop focussing while all the time holding the shutted button down for coninuous shooting (and zoom in or out at the same time!).

Actually it means a worse grip on the camera, the K20D AF button was in a better place I think. I was annoyed, and still am, that the K-7 button was moved even further left and down a bit (I think) to make the grip worse. But with a big lens being supported by the left hand the grip is adequate. I've seen the placement of this button on other makes and it looks more sensible.
05-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

My head is about to explode.

So on the K-x, I have to look for the AF/AE-L setting which says what? And is it only that one setting I have to change to toggle between using that button for AE-L and AF on demand?
05-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

It's conversations like this which make me love my Taks more and more every day.
05-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Okay - I have K-7, not sure about K-x. I see one button is both AF and AEL -RTFM

Actually that pic of you looks like your head is about to explode too!
05-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K20D has one AE-L button and one AF button
05-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

If the birds are still enough you should always focus on the eye and not the body. You want the eye/face to be the sharpest part of your picture and if you focus on the body you'll get varing results.