Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
But what about when your partner is using the lens you want? Sometimes my wife uses my K-x and 18-250. Which means I can't carry it as a second body. I bought her a Fuji Superzoom but she constantly complains about it and wants the white camera. I don't blame her, the Fuji superzoom is pretty crappy. I wish she'd get her own dslr, but of course with all these cameras in the house she never will.

PS I was an only child for four years and never went to kindergarten. Maybe that explains why I don't like sharing my toys.

Fortunately my husband's interest was shortlived. Maybe. I loaded up the pics he took on the computer and I don't think he ever even looked at them. And he had some pretty decent ones too. Oh well. I've gotten so used to shooting two cameras that I think we'd have to get a third one if he wanted to shoot more. I guess that would be an excuse to get a bright green Kx? Or maybe orange. Okay girly. I admit to liking the colors.

05-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I've never touched a 200, so I can't really comment about that one. Last year I upgraded from a K10 to a K20. Both are excellent cameras and will do an excellent job as a first camera. If that is the kind of camera she is looking for.
As to my getting the wife using the K10, I finally did get her to upgrade from her P&S, but she really prefers my old DL to the K10. She likes the size of the DL over the K10 or the K20. Since she mainly shoots holiday snaps, she likes the smaller file sizes and playing with the mode settings. Go figure...
If she likes smaller camera bodies, you may want to look around and see if you can find an old "ist" in good shape. It won't give you the performance of a K10, but if it's a first camera, she may not worry as much about dropping it or trying to take snaps for anything more than having fun. Don't try to overload her with too much to start with, if it's not fun or it's too technical, she may go off the idea of photography all together.

Last edited by opfor; 05-05-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
05-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my own view is that it depends on who gets the camera.

the K10D and K200D are using essentually the same sensor, so except for camera features, AND SIZEthere is not much difference.

The K20 and K10 are in the same body but the K20 has the 14mp cmoss sensor, and woud be better at high ISO.

If you are going to use it, then a K20 might be the way to go, your wife can have your K200, you will have no problem helping to explain the controls because you use it, and you get the new toy to figure out.

If you don;t like the size etc, then as someone suggested look for a used KX.

In the long run, you could justify all the way up to a brand new K7 if you want because you can always share lenses explain this to your wife, as she will have to buy her own lenses making it much more expensive for the two of you as a couple
05-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Much obliged folks for all your responses.
I guess I'll be centering on a K20d.
Thanks again. Jools.