Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #1

Pentax k-x: Use laptop insted of LCD screen to manually adjust sharpness

Hi,
Being brand new here I did not find any answer on the forum when searching...

Bought my k-x yesterday. I also purchased an Opteka Slide Copier / Dias to digital converter, to put on the end of my lens. In order to get the copies as sharp as possible, I wonder if it is possible to connect my k-x by the USB-cable to my laptop and preview the images, hence finetune the sharpness before shooting?
With the camera came also the "Digital Camera Utility 4".... however I have not had the time to look around for possibilities.

05-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. No tethering on the K-x.
05-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about the K-7?
05-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Nope.

05-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Would actually have been nice being able to use external monitor for preview before shooting in order to get the best possible sharpness, when you HAVE to focus manually as for the Opteka dias to digital converter.
So this also means that there is no benefit in using the cameras USB cable instead of putting the memory card in the PC? There are no other interactive functions I can do by using the USB cable?
05-05-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For slide copying with that apparatus, I doubt you're going to have any focus problems. Your depth of field could be like the minimum because how much do you need for a flat sheet of film anyway?

The USB can be used with a remote.

There may be a way to shoot while simultaneously hooked to your monitor or TV for playback/review after each shot, and you can check like that, but not in real time while you're shooting.

Last edited by Ira; 05-05-2010 at 05:12 AM.
05-05-2010, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With both the K-x and the K-7, you can indeed use the AV out connector on the camera to get a live real-time feed of what the camera is seeing via a remote AV monitor (eg a TV). It works quite well.

With the K-x you only get a component-video feed that outputs PAL/NTSC video though - ie standard resolution video. If your laptop doesn't accept component video inputs directly maybe you can use a TV to preview the images and tune your focus. A full description of using this is on p221-222 of the K-x manual. You will need a USB to component video cable like the Pentax I-AVC7 cable or similar.

With the K-7 I believe you can either get a PAL/NTSC feed (like the K-x) or use the mini-HDMI plug on the K-7 to get a HDMI feed that supports full 1080i HD video. Full description of all these output options is on pp233-236 of the K-7 manual.
05-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For fine manual focus on my K-x I like to use live view and then zoom in as close as necessary to make sure my subject is as sharp as possible.
Not quite what you were asking but an effective method for me to achieve the same thing.