Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Looks like a simple Sensor Klear pen should do the trick..I use one and it works wonders.

https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=SK1

Jason

05-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Canned gas could practically destroy the sensor because there is always built up moisture inside the can
Perhaps really cheap ones. I've never had a problem with contamination with the ones I buy.
The only way for moisture to be in the can is if there is a QC problem at the factory.
I have heard of Rocket Blowers spraying little chunkies, and they will get dust in them eventually.
05-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have heard of Rocket Blowers spraying little chunkies, and they will get dust in them eventually.
That happened to me as well.

The Giotto Rocket blower (Rocket-air) I got, felt tacky when I took it out of the plastic wrapper.
It blew away the dust particles on my K10D, but it also sprayed a few sticky rubber particles on the sensor!
I had to wet swipe the sensor to take that off.
No, a fine, soft, clean brush is much better.

Now, a year later, the stickyness is gone, the rubber solvent from the blower production must have all been evaporated.
The latest cleaning sessions with the blower all went fine. No rubber particles anymore.

I guess one should be cautious with new, tacky feeling, Giotto's.

- Bert
05-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well I took it in to get it professionally cleaned and its still there. The guy at the store said he could barly see it even with a magnification lupe but that it appears to be behind the filter and not above it. So I guess its off to Pentax, and I'll see if the warranty will cover this or not. The guy at the store said that it should be sealed and no dust should be able to even get there.

Wait till monday for Pentax customer service to get back to my email.

05-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #20

I've got similar issues with the K7 after a trip to death valley for the spring wildflower show. Per Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning. pollen can be pretty sticky. I've got pec pads on order and am making a swabbing tool since the brush/ puffer didn't do the trick. I'm also going to try some (moisture/ dust filtered) compressed air on one side of the chamber, with vacuum on the other as part of that "next step" and will report back. For now, however, those bird shots all have the same annoying starlings out of focus in the same place on every frame-- how clever of them!
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #21

Follow up to the sticky pollen issue

It's been a while but just for the archive, the ethanol on a pec pad on a soft plastic wand worked with some elbow grease. I.e., soft gentle strokes with the ethanol and then the second wand/ pad for pick up. At first the spots were really stuck and then tended to move around rather than pick up. But long story short, with swabs and a vacuum, (no compressed air) it's looking much better.