Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I used the Zone System in my 4X5 days, but I wouldn't consider it directly applicable to digital. So much can be done in software these days.

However, understanding the Zone System is a considerable plus when working manual mode with the intent of turning the image into B&W. No matter what the format or the media, getting the right exposure first time is always the best policy and understanding Zones will get you there. One could blast a bracketed bunch and hope for the best, but there's more satisfaction out of nailing it with one shot. At least for me.

Just thinking as I wrote this, I guess my 4X5 days aren't as far behind me as I thought . . .

05-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
I thought the Pentax Spot Meter used a Pin diode as the sensor which are pretty much colour neutral and view the Luminence as if it was illuminated by White Light (which it usually is of course). So whether the barn was Red, Blue or Green it would give the same Luminence level, or am I wrong?

Chris
According to Fred Picker you are, though it wouldn't surprise me if he chose Pentax meters for modification because they were the least flawed.
His modification involved adding a couple of filters over the photodiode to correct their colour sensitivity.
As noted, he was quite anal on the subject, so his modifications might have merely been gilding the lily.
05-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I gave the zone system (ZS) lectures in our Photography club for sometime for the members, ZS is not about technique, it's all about vision, ie like which part of photograph should take the attention, and in which way your photograph should give the impression to viewers. For instance when a low-key, high contrast photo might give a dramatic effect, same photograph could be a normal cheerful meeting photograph if you don't use high contrast and a lot of dark areas (this not a rule).

My belief is every careful experienced photographer who uses EV adjustment in any way is utilizing the ZS. Regardless of film or digital, post-process or not. Also post-processing is like developing film and the card both.

Both reference books given here are perfect on the subject, I also recommend them, if you have to pick one I favor Farzad's "Simplified Zone System" book, other bookis more descriptive and less experimental, Farzad's more leaning towards practice.

A sample: Consider this, what if I measured the light from the walls or from the mans's face, what kinda impression would be given?.Would fire take same attention like below picture?

ZS is just like that in digital era.....

PS. Painting teacher Fred Archer co-operatively invented the Zone System with Ansel Adams applied to photography and developed it. Simple thanking to immortal Archer and Adams wouldn't be enough.

Youtube lecture on ZS, IMO which would helps digital post-processing too : watch?v=1Xanb3J81EA
Attached Images

Last edited by cbaytan; 05-30-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add info