Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

well that'll teach me... (cropping and printing pics)

well that'll teach me...

a few weeks ago my wife had this great idea as a mothers day gift for a family friend of ours... We "stole" her suburban and "kidnapped" her kids took em to the park and shot em to bits (camera duh ;-) seems she doesn't have a lot of pics of her kids on the wall and my wife thought we could help with that haha.

while I wasn't 100% happy with the shots I managed to get some good ones... dealing with 3 kids under 10 made for lots of shots w/ someone off in space or blinking... (so kudos to those of you who do family portraits on a regular basis)

anyway cleaned up the pics and finally went to have them printed out, seems some of the nice framing I did with the camera was a waste... somewhere I missed that the pics taken need cropped for most larger size prints doh

so... beware... shoot loose for when you have to crop doh lol...

i'm sure she'll be pleased with the outcome come mothers day so thats another story... but figured i'd share.

mark

05-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can use a matte around the image that fits into the next size up frame. Done all the time.
05-06-2010, 04:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
we're doing basically that for one of em, printed it in the closest aspect that didn't require much cropping...
05-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #4

One of the things I do is to have white backgounds in several sizes, 8x10, 5x7, etc. I just drop my crop on the closest size, and send that to be printed.

05-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It definitely helps to think about size of expected print when shooting. It is not always easy to go from 2 by 3 ratio to 4 by 5. In fact, if you don't leave enough space you are in a bind. After the fact, as others have said you can drop them on to a white or other colored back ground to get them to fit.
05-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I dont understand. why do you HAVE to crop your photos that you framed properly in the viewfinder? I can understand why someone would want to crop a photo to fit a standard size frame but I dont understand why you would HAVE to crop it. There are plenty of framing services available on the internet that will build you a custom size frame with custom cut matttes and acrylic "glass".

If you like the way you composed the photos in camera just get a frame that fits. I use this place. you can order a frame in just about any dimension.

American Frame - Picture Frames Wood Metal Canvas Custom Photo Printing Custom Art - American Frame

I'm assuming that you are also aware that you can get your photos printed to just about any size you want if you're using a decent lab.
05-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Yes, it is difficult to purchase "off the shelf " matte & frame that fits a very tight pics. I like custom sized matte's, something that is "out of the norm". I'm the guy that will break the rule of thirds for a different perspective. Capture the personalities/characteristics of each child. Tilt the camera 45angle for a shot, cut a matte in a triangle. Good Luck
05-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
got the photos back and they came out very nicely...

we where going with standard sized printing options and trying to use standard sized frames... one of them we did end up going a frame size up and matting it in ourselves.... customer frames are expensive and that wasn't an option...

all the same i'm pleased with the results... got to use a the local camera shop for the printing and that was nice i'll talk to them about doing custom size prints... i'm sure they can but it was late and I used the online system.

Last edited by donalson; 05-07-2010 at 06:25 AM.
05-07-2010, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of places will print 8x12 and 12x18, which are the proper aspect ratio for your camera. These are the sizes I usually print and have had good luck finding appropriate sized frames for them after matting. I do, however, cut my own mattes.
05-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I've had issues with this as well when trying to print and frame in the US. My solution has been to print the photo uncropped and then have it mounted on black or white foamcore or gatorfoam. It gives it a museum-like appearance, and you never have to worry about whether the frame or mat will match the room you want to hang it in. Plus it's WAY cheaper.
05-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I crop to what I want, then get mats made at MatShop.ca. There is also a .com
05-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Unless you already know the costs involved, i'd advise those who want to minimize the costs, to not use custom print sizes for printing, framing, or mats unless you really have to.

A local theatre asked me to decorate their lobby with prints from their most recent play. I used 16 prints in sizes of 8x10, 8x12, 11x14, 11x17 and got the whole batch printed for a total of $45 from Costco. The frames used were an inexpensive plastic/glass assembly sold under the name "format" by MCS Company in those sizes - no matting required.

By the way, Costco does not print a 11x17, so i printed the 4 prints of that size as 12x18 and cut them down. Elements has a handy resizing menu choice that lets one resize the images to a specific size (say 11x17) and then lets one place that image on a black or white background of a different size (say 12x18) - called the canvas. Very handy for various kinds of pirnting problems. Scaling it down in that manner saved any loss of image material.

I'm not against people doing a custom anything, but just be aware of the additional costs when one jumps out of the standard frame and print sizes.
05-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
A lot of places will print 8x12 and 12x18, which are the proper aspect ratio for your camera. These are the sizes I usually print and have had good luck finding appropriate sized frames for them after matting. I do, however, cut my own mattes.
thanks for the tip on there... my local shop has 8x12 for the same price of the 8x10....

good info to have