Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Ordered a k20D !

I cant wait until it comes in! I bought it online in like new condition for $600 with 2,500 clicks in box with everything included. Upgrading from my k10D...

05-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NicK10D Quote
I cant wait until it comes in! I bought it online in like new condition for $600 with 2,500 clicks in box with everything included. Upgrading from my k10D...
I don't mean to be rude but why didn't you consider the K-7 instead? You can probably get a brand new K-7 for about $850 these days. Going from K10D to K20D seems like a baby step to me.
05-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I don't mean to be rude but why didn't you consider the K-7 instead? You can probably get a brand new K-7 for about $850 these days. Going from K10D to K20D seems like a baby step to me.
Actually it is very easy , though it seems like a baby step, some Photographers do not want to pay for a SLR that also is a video camera ( call us old fashioned ). we prefer to be Photographers instead of videographers. Also the accessories between the K10 and K 7 aren't compatible and the K7 is a smaller camera in the hand so it doesn't have the same feel. Please remember that Photography is subjective and moving to the latest and greatest may not be in the best interest or wallet of someone else.

George
"The Pentax Master"

Last edited by geojazz; 05-06-2010 at 09:20 AM.
05-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congradulations and you will enjoy the upgrade. I use both my k10 & k20 on shoots love them both.

05-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

K20D, a long lived wish

I have wanted to upgrade to a K20D from K10D for some time. My K10D was stolen from the truck at work. The familiar feel is a draw over the K7and upgrade options like ISO are better than the K10D. Like you folks have mentioned above. If I want Video Ill carry my Sony HDVC as well.
But taxes and such have put my K20D purchase on hold. resorted back to my original K110D. Congradulations on your K20D purchase. Have fun with it.
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geojazz Quote
Actually it is very easy , though it seems like a baby step, some Photographers do not want to pay for a SLR that also is a video camera ( call us old fashioned ). we prefer to be Photographers instead of videographers. Also the accessories between the K10 and K 7 aren't compatible and the K7 is a smaller camera in the hand so it doesn't have the same feel. Please remember that Photography is subjective and moving to the latest and greatest may not be in the best interest or wallet of someone else.

George
"The Pentax Master"
I don't to go into the details but the K-7 has a lot more to offer over the K20D besides the video capabilities.

This discussion has been covered a lot before so have a look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/61302-pentax-k-7-a.html
05-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Dude, I don't care. I was extremely lucky to even get my k10D from my uncle at no cost and he actually bought it back from me for a back up camera so all I needed was a few hundred for the k20D that I barley got together. If it wasn't for him I would still be using a Sony point and shoot camera. If you think I am going to regret my purchase....think again.

05-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

You're going to have to change your screen name now. Enjoy your new camera.

George
That's the most ridiculous argument against the K7 I've ever read. I've shot maybe 10 minutes of video since I've owned it and it certainly wasn't a reason for me to buy the camera. You are right that the accessories are not compatible between the two platforms. We are talking about a battery, the grip, and the focusing screen. That's It. The size difference is minimal and once you add the grip, the K7 becomes a Very comfortable camera. The only thing you Lose going from the 10/20 to the 7, is Tethered shooting. To some that's important, to most, it isn't.

05-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #9

I don't to go into the details but the K-7 has a lot more to offer over the K20D besides the video capabilities.

This discussion has been covered a lot before so have a look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/61302-pentax-k-7-a.html
Duc
I am well aware of the capabilities of all Pentax Cameras (being a 30 yr veteran of Pentax Cameras) . I have shot the K7 and KX and I will say I prefer the feel of my K20. As I said it is subjective , and I don't feel like replacing accessories that were made for the K10/K20D body.

Nick10D..... your Uncle sounds like a OK guy ....... wish I had a photographic Mentor like that when I started out

Whichever camera you prefer just remember No other Camera is like a PENTAX!

George
"The Pentax Master"
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
Ok, now that my thread has been hijacked into a"you shoulda bought a k7 thread".....Goodbye
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You're going to have to change your screen name now. Enjoy your new camera.

That's the most ridiculous argument against the K7 I've ever read. I've shot maybe 10 minutes of video since I've owned it and it certainly wasn't a reason for me to buy the camera. You are right that the accessories are not compatible between the two platforms. We are talking about a battery, the grip, and the focusing screen. That's It. The size difference is minimal and once you add the grip, the K7 becomes a Very comfortable camera. The only thing you Lose going from the 10/20 to the 7, is Tethered shooting. To some that's important, to most, it isn't.

Jeff
I have Nothing against the K7 I prefer not to own a camera that does video. As I said it is subjective. Tethered shooting is important to me and the feature set on the K20 suits my needs. I am old school I started shooting with a K1000 in 1979-1980 when I was 15-16 yrs old, so I have been a faithful Pentax user that whole time. So please don't misconstrue my comments ... so I will say it here and clearly so I am not misunderstood .......

I PREFER THE PENTAX K20D!

George
"The Pentax Master"
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congratulations Nic(soon2BK20D)! I still love using my K10. I have only handled a K20 once for a short time but I am sure they are a very pleasurable further extension of the Pentax family of great cameras. Enjoy your photography! And post to your satisfaction.
05-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

ducdao, i think you missed the point of the thread. he ALREADY made the purchase. He is not shopping and asking for you to tell why he needs to buy a K-7.

congrats, nick. I recently sold my K10D and replaced it with a minty K20D too. i've been happy with the upgrade.
05-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks Mike
05-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Jeff
I have Nothing against the K7 I prefer not to own a camera that does video. As I said it is subjective. Tethered shooting is important to me and the feature set on the K20 suits my needs. I am old school I started shooting with a K1000 in 1979-1980 when I was 15-16 yrs old, so I have been a faithful Pentax user that whole time. So please don't misconstrue my comments ... so I will say it here and clearly so I am not misunderstood .......

I PREFER THE PENTAX K20D!

George
"The Pentax Master"
I got that. My point, perhaps rudely made, was that there are a lot of reasons one can choose not to buy a given camera. Some didn't want to go to the K20d because the K20d lacks the ability to turn off noise reduction on long exposures (Dark Frame Subtraction). Some will not buy the K7 because it lacks tethering (A move by Pentax I'm still trying to understand). Video however, is a feature that is easily ignored (as I do most of the time), on any camera. I'm from the same school of thought, Video recording belongs on video cameras. It still doesn't hurt for it to be there and it Can be useful.

As someone who owns and uses all 3 cameras, I can say with certainty, that the K20d is miles more than "baby steps" above the K10d in many respects. The K7 is a quantum leap further ahead again. Worth the difference? Personal preference. To me, It is.

Again, NicK10d, enjoy your new camera. It is indeed a fine box.