Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #1

Is my K7 damaged?

Hi
I just purchased a used K7 from the marketplace and received the camera today.
I noticed that when I lightly shake the camera I hear some internal movement in the camera like something is loose.
Is this normal?
I took out the battery and still no change, I also tried it with the camera turned on. Same thing.
This is my 1st K7 body

Steven

05-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Read this.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/94122-beginners...ntax-dslr.html
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
wildlifephotog,
I did read that thread.
I don't hear a clunk when I turn on the K7,
but am I to assume that when I lightly shake the camera with it turned on or off what I am hearing moving around inside is the anti shake / sr moving around??

Steven
05-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its the camera's SR moving about when you shake it. Its free floating IRRC.

enjoy your new camera

05-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

That is the sensor moving around. Shaking the camera is not a good idea.
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
Hi
I just purchased a used K7 from the marketplace and received the camera today.
I noticed that when I lightly shake the camera I hear some internal movement in the camera like something is loose.
Is this normal?
I took out the battery and still no change, I also tried it with the camera turned on. Same thing.
This is my 1st K7 body

Steven
Wy are you shaking the camera in the first place? If you do that then you WILL hear the sensor moving . .
05-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #7

Hmm.. I may have to hear this for myself when I pick up my K-7 tomorrow... My K200D certainly does not have any kind of sound as you have described here.. but then again that's a different camera... interesting topic....
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Wy are you shaking the camera in the first place? If you do that then you WILL hear the sensor moving . .
I think everyone uses the word "Shake" because that is the first word that comes to mind. I don't think anyone actually grabs the camera in both hands and shakes it violently. When I first got my Kx and by just taking it out of the package it was moved (shook) around and I heard a clunk. If I didn't already know that was the SR then I might have asked the same question using the word shake when all I really did was move the camera about.

Give people more credit, they are not all moronic or infantile babies.

But to answer the original question: Yes that is normal and it is in fact the SR as it "floats about".

05-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Hmm.. I may have to hear this for myself when I pick up my K-7 tomorrow... My K200D certainly does not have any kind of sound as you have described here..
Yes it does. You just haven't managed to turn it in the particular manner that causes the sound (or you haven't done so in a quiet enough environment to hear it). Every single Pentax model with SR does this, but many people do indeed fail to notice it.
05-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Hmm.. I may have to hear this for myself when I pick up my K-7 tomorrow... My K200D certainly does not have any kind of sound as you have described here.. but then again that's a different camera... interesting topic....
You might not hear it, but maybe you can feel it. On my K10D, I can feel it but not really hear it. Admitted, my hearing is not the most briljant.
06-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #11

I thought i had the same problem as you with my K-7. But as i figures out later, there is nothing wrong with it and it was just the strap. Like the metal things that attach the strap, they are moving and making that noise that something little is moving inside. hold the metal parts from the strap attachment and try again.

I hope this helps!!
06-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

what strikes me as odd is that if pentax entended you to put your ear to the camera they would have included headphones, not an eye level view finder.

When you move any of the K series pentax cameras (except the K110) you will hear the sensor shift if you listen for it.

It is normal with any camera with in body shake reduction.

your camera is fine, go out and use it,
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #13

thanx, but that's not the sounds everybody's been talking about here
06-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Everyone here except you is talking about the same thing: the soft clunking sound the sensor makes as it shifts around inside the camera. While straps might make noise too, everyone else is talking about the sound of the sensor moving.
06-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

RTFS.

Jason