Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Remote Assistant anomalies ?

Hi there,

I've just downloaded Remote Assistant from Pentax's website to have a quick look at it and although I've not yet had an opportunity to connect the K10D with my laptop, I've just noticed this little nugget of information which appears on page 12 of the pdf file:

QuoteQuote:
As it is not possible to check the composition of your subject in the
PENTAX REMOTE Assistant window before shooting, make any
adjustments while looking through the camera's viewfinder.
If you use a laptop computer, you will have a great deal more freedom in
positioning, and being able to shoot outdoors.
Does this actually mean that there is no means of previewing the image via the software on the laptop BEFORE taking a photograph: i.e. No Live Preview ???
I know 'live preview' it not a feature of the K10D itself, but do you REALLY have to to take a photo FIRST, BEFORE an image becomes viewable on the screen of the laptop ???? If so, it's like something out of the Dark Ages !! Any comments please ?

Last edited by Confused; 07-28-2007 at 02:43 PM.
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yup thats right.

But you can change all of the settings from saturation sharpness and contrast to wb to iso....

i think what i would do is get a longer usb cord and hire an assistant to run Pentax Remote Assistant and adjust minor settings, delete bad shots, compile what i call the 'product folder', begin the edit, maybe even email proofs to the client before the shooting is done.

this program makes me lean toward the idea of WiFi Pentax.
07-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
In reply to "MJB DIGITAL":

Jeez, that really stinks ! So are you implying that if the K10D was capable of outputting 'Live Preview' from it's sensor, you would be seeing a corresponding 'live' output on the laptop screen ?
07-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm confused and you are Confused!!

I don't get what you are asking - are you needing the K10D to act as a video camera while you sit at a computer and press a button to snap shots as you see them?

Or do you want to be able to fully control the camera on the tripod and swivel, go up, go down etc so as to compose your shot.

I'm not really up on all the modern capabilities of DSLR cameras and perhaps all other cameras do have the capability of composing shots from a computer, as you require.
But to me it seems to be asking a lot of the camera.

Perhaps one day cameras in the future wont have view finders and we can send them out into the world while we sit at a computer controlling our antigrav cameras floating around eagerly pressing a button on the keyboard producing perfect shots time after time after time. Then maybe one day some genius will invent a camera that can work independently of mere humans, floating around taking perfect photos that are downloaded for no one to enjoy - but they will be perfectly composed and exposed.

07-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I'm confused and you are Confused!!

I don't get what you are asking - are you needing the K10D to act as a video camera while you sit at a computer and press a button to snap shots as you see them?

Or do you want to be able to fully control the camera on the tripod and swivel, go up, go down etc so as to compose your shot.

I'm not really up on all the modern capabilities of DSLR cameras and perhaps all other cameras do have the capability of composing shots from a computer, as you require.
But to me it seems to be asking a lot of the camera.

Perhaps one day cameras in the future wont have view finders and we can send them out into the world while we sit at a computer controlling our antigrav cameras floating around eagerly pressing a button on the keyboard producing perfect shots time after time after time. Then maybe one day some genius will invent a camera that can work independently of mere humans, floating around taking perfect photos that are downloaded for no one to enjoy - but they will be perfectly composed and exposed.
Yes Falcons, actually you have spoken a bit of truth. But there is more. An alien race will descend from heaven with new technology. A colony of artists will recieve the gift of the LASER BLAST AF BEAM!!! As the dreaded drone cameras are working at stealing our jobs we can just press the AF button BLAST and the shutter will trip. We will have then recorded the defeat of evil robot drone cameras!!! YAY!!!

But seriously though. Remote Assistant is just that its an assistant its not a main photographer's user terminal. your assistant belongs at the terminal. this is called "shooting tethered'.

try it like that and develop a workflow with a good assistant.
you could really have a set of proofs in the clients email ten seconds after the last shot is taken...um...if you shoot small jpg and upload fast
07-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
In reply to "Falcons" & "MJB DIGITAL"

One scenario I was imaging where this 'live' facility on a laptop might have come in especially handy would be for photographing birds or wildlife in it's natural habitat etc. Say for instance you were seated indoors looking out into the garden or maybe located in a 'bird hide' (to avoid potentially frightening away timid creatures) and had previously trained your camera lens on a particular spot such as a feeding station. When birds started landing there, a 'live view' would enable you to capture precisely the shot you were looking for ? I hope this suggestion has some validity to it and there are probably many other situations where this type of facility would become invaluable ???
I'd considered taking the video-out signal from the K10D to a monitor, but yet again I don't think this would provide a 'live' video feed and secondly, you'd need a second mini-USB socket on the body of the K10D, in order to utilise the Remote Assistant software at the same time. All-in-all, I can't envisage a practical workaround to this conundrum and reckon you'd require the output from a separate video-camera to provide a practical solution ?

Last edited by Confused; 07-30-2007 at 05:20 AM.
07-30-2007, 04:14 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Could you possibly set up a focus trap system?

Then you could sit in your lounge room and as the photos are taken you can check them etc and even process.
07-30-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
To "Falcons"

Well I have considered a 'focus trap system', but was hoping that Remote Assistant might have provided an alternative solution. Alas it seems like it isn't capable of doing so....ces't la vie
etc

Best regards
Richard