Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What does AF adjustment adjust anyway?

I got my K20D back today from Pentax Canada, after the replacement of the main PC board assembly and A200 circuit block. It's like a car that's just been detailed, showroom fresh. I haven't had time today to do anything with it, but all the presets and adjustments were removed. Any guesses as to whether I can just reenter my AF adjustments for my lenses? It seems to me that the lenses would be the same relative to each other, so if the focus was off a bit perhaps making a global adjustment would keep each lens adjusted. Or is it a case of a new circuit block requiring a complete set of new adjustments? Anybody been through this before?

05-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, you won't know until you test it out. I'd say take some test pictures with the AF adjustement off, and then take some test pictures with it on, and set to your previous settings. Hopefully, you won't have too much work to do...
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Any guesses as to whether I can just reenter my AF adjustments for my lenses?
If you got the same camera with just electronics parts being replaced, the old AF adjustment values should work.

However, I'd double check by validating the old values, just to make sure that nothing affecting the AF has changed.

You may find these AF adjustment hints useful.

Last edited by Class A; 05-08-2010 at 05:09 AM.
05-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends what the A200 thing is If that is the AF sensor, it might be in a slightly different position and none of your adjustments will be valid.

And your adjustments were probably not removed. They are more than likely stored in a chip on the PC board assembly and that was replaced.

PS I asked a question similar to your title not that long ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/98347-how-does-a...ment-work.html

05-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the old adjustment numbers are not valid anymore you should not have to re-calibrate for each lens. You are right that the lenses did not change relative to each other. Check one lens. If for example it used to need -3 and now needs -1 then just add 2 to the previous adjustments for each lens.
05-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, crappy weather notwithstanding, I grabbed a quick shot with each lens this morning and it would seem that my AF corrections are still accurate. Fortunately I thought to back up the data beforehand.

As an interesting aside, my camera seems to have been revirginized in that the exif data shows my shutter count to be ~100. Sort of like when I replaced the speedometer in my car. Makes me wonder about how much importance anyone should put in the number of shutter actuations.
05-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
As an interesting aside, my camera seems to have been revirginized in that the exif data shows my shutter count to be ~100.
Bad form on behalf of the service technician. Assuming they didn't exchange the shutter assembly, the technician should have transferred the old shutter count to the new board.

Last edited by Class A; 05-08-2010 at 06:02 PM.