Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These aren't K20D reviews

I believe Chris's review/short treatise of the Pentax K20D, with a very practical discussion on its advantage over the K10D, is worthy of being linked here...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/19036-my-2500-word-essay-k20d.html

05-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Just to point out... In the picture shown up top- The bottom part is the optional add-on battery grip...

(Just saying, cause the camera is shown with lens removed, but battery grip still on..)

I love my K20D too.
05-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another practical point not stressed earlier:

K20D's buffer shooting RAW fills after 14 continuous exposures, whereas K10D's buffer fills at 9.

This, if shooting RAW regularly, is a clear advantage for drive shooters.
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The memory buffer is great compared to my K100d. The picture quality is better than all my friends more expensive cameras and I'll leave it at that..
I think the wife will bury me with it.

05-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Inactive Account

low light

I love this camera!!! The only problem I had was trying to shoot in low light at 6400. It would not work in auto mode. Once I set everything to manual it did great! This camera is really great. I have taken night shot at the slowest shutter speed, captured fast action and fast motion from a train running at 60mph. It does great!!!!
05-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful DSLR!!!

I think that Pentax should break the K20D mold!!! The K20D has merely highlighted that a camera body doesn't have to cost $3-6K in order to facilitate a fantastic shot!

The feature set included with this camera makes all my Ni%%% & Ca&&& buddies extremely jealous. They all own more expensive cameras :-) Most of them also have less megapixels and additional features they will never use or don't have a use for...yet...maybe :-)

Equipped with the right lenses and knowledge...this DSLR is deadly and can bang with the best!

I use the following lenses for my wildlife and portrait photography...

smc Pentax A 50mm f/1.7
smc Pentax F 70-210mm f/4-5.6 ED
smc Pentax F 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6
smc Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
smc Pentax FA-J 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8 AL
smc Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
smc Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro (1:1) Limited
Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)

Pentax...I never leave home without them :-) The K20D you can't go wrong!

Last edited by Chr1st0ph3r; 09-19-2009 at 05:24 AM.
05-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #7

Totally agree with Chr1st0ph3r, all I can say is "If my K20D were Canikon, it would cost the double."

Cons....mmh, ISO 6400 maybe, I shoot a soccer game last week at night, I was able to see all the game with the naked eye perfectly, but camera doesn't, so I switched to 6400 and the noise level was unacceptable, I modified some setting at the custom menu, like reduce noise at high iso, and other that I don't remember, and results were OK, but not enough, I had to use longer time which created blur photos, I think it was results of the lens I used, Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro, which is not fast enough, but I couldn't get any nice pic.

I will try to get a better (and expensive) lens and test it again. but at the end of the day I still love my K20D.

06-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

I've owned it a short time and it's my first foray into digital bodies. I don't like the viewfinder, but other than that, it's well built and very heavy (almost too heavy with the attached grip and a decent lens). You really need the grip as I don't have huge hands, but my palm awkwardly falls off the side when I don't use it.

As far as the K-7 being the same megapixels and no full frame sensor yet, it makes this a much better deal, unless you need the slight tweaks and HD video that the K-7 offers. For me, I got this camera body for $820 less than what the K-7 retails at, so it was a no brainer.
06-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

K20d

I really like mine. It's my first Digital SLR because it was the first one worth having after a Canon A1. Not bad to have a Three Year Guarantee from Pentax either.

I have only one issue. If I take the same subject in quick succession (or use fast "motor drive") generally every third exposure is "Light" ie ev +2 to 4 on 14mpixel jpeg. Other than that the thing takes amazing pictures.

I have never used it RAW except for play and run the 16gig HDSD into my opensuse 11.1 laptop and play with the image in Gimp.

With the Katz Eye viewfinder it like the Canon A1 and the Pentax's before that is a real pleasure to use after a 8 year adventure into Digital. And Kodak's digitals were the best before 2006 so we are not saying much.
11-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Impressive

I looked to upgrade from my trusty k100d,
I did try some C and N brand... I find them to be very good and fast, I was stunned by some of them.
I also find them to be not so well build very complicated to use and expensive.

I love my k20... its well priced trong build fun to handle and easy to use.

IQ is amazing.
12-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
well even though i own one and love it, it isn't perfect!

the weight and size is how to say.. not for my hands, it's a little to big and a little too heavy.

viewfinder only 96 or 95% of coverage i believe all cameras in this class have it like that, but i find it very irritating to frame an image and later find that it's not like i've framed it.
3 fps isn't a spectacular while on k10d it was unlimited, now it's limited up to 40 shots, while mine ends in some 20 shots.. i do not know maybe it's because of the card, but i do not believe, because it's a buffer thing.. maybe it's deffective.. but, i do not want to send it for such a thing..

21fps.. is a ridiculous joke.. i find it totally not useful.. but maybe that's only me.

liveview.. no one mentioned, but it really stinks. But i do use it occasionally. even though it's hard to use it, because you cannot change anything whlie shooting with liveview on.

SR works fine, although in liveview a certain noise is audible of it working.

the extent of its customization is amazing! you can accomodate it to your specific needs, and it's awesome.

intervalometer is good, but.. only for 100shots.. that's a pitty.

ISO performance.. good until 1600 ISO, some 2500 ISO shots are good, but 3200 isn't usable to me. not to mention 6400ISO, even though others might claim differently..

oh and the main thing.. low light focusing.. but i guess several people already mentioned that. well it's not robust. although quicker than k10d.

built quality is amazing, weather sealing superb!

another thing that is irritating is it's not that fast and responsive, while to show the shot on lcd, and then to browse menu, and to add some filter or to develop raw or something, I sometimes experience lag, while i want to review shots, but the lcd doesn't shoe anything.

oh wireless flash and remote control is amazing.

I've been as critical as possible. other than that it helps me to make amazing pics and is an amazing tool for any photographer..
21 FPS is great with sports. Its the only reason why I got my K20D. Better than anything out there!
05-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Pentax K20D

All I can say is this camera is awesome I got mine September of 2009 and yes it was brand new I love it.
05-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Hook the M42 Takumar lenses into the K20 and what a combo - And they still work in AV mode.