Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Not Pentax K100D reviews

Class A, that's one class act of a review, mate! I'm downloading your post [just for personal use], if that's ok?
I have owned my K100D S, one month today - my first DSLR!!!
I have to say that I don't really agree with you and all the others who say that this camera is 'too' slow for "sports and certain wildlife applications" [I do note the qualification in 'your' statement, though - it's all relative, as you said].
I believe this 'slowness' has been perpetuated mainly by [another word I've learned in the past 30 days] 'measurebaters'!.
Now, I'm only just starting, like I said, but I'm popping-off birds 'on-the-wing', already. This is because I just don't realize 'how slow it is', yet ; and I don't intend to find out. I intend to find out just how fast I can be with my K100D S! . By way of comparison, I'm the absolute slowest thing on my laptop - a 'two-fingered key-boarder', no less [and no more!]! I know that there are DSLRs that are quite a bit faster [relatively-speaking]; but how did sports photographers get their shots, 40, 50 or 60 years ago?
There - got that one off my chest, finally!

Thanks again, Dave.

05-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geronimo Quote
Class A, that's one class act of a review, mate! I'm downloading your post [just for personal use], if that's ok?
Sure, thanks a lot for the praise.

Congratulations to your camera, good choice.

I agree with you in general. People have been doing absolutely fabulous action shots with the K100D. This does not detract from the fact that other (typically more expensive) cameras have faster/better continues AF tracking and a higher burst rate. These properties by no means won't guarantee good action shoots but they may help get you a shot that you otherwise may miss. Just trying to capture a slightly nervous bird, you'll miss out on some of its postures by not having a high enough frequency of shots and only a short time span for a burst.
05-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Excellent review, Class A.

But I do have to take exception to this item you list in weaknesses:

No Automatic White Balance in Incandescent Light
The automatic white balance works excellently except for incandescent/tungsten light. This is a weakness the K100D shares with many other DSLR models, though. At least its incandescent preset white balance performs better than most.

The K100D's AWB has a range of 4000K-8000K. This is a fairly normal range for AWB. Incandescent/tungsten light has a color temperature of about 2850K. It is outside the range of the AWB. The fact that AWB performs poorly outside of its range is not a weakness--it would be a weakness if it consistently performed poorly within its range. It would also be a weakness if its range was markedly more restricted than other cameras, but as far as I can tell from my research this is not the case.

But, again, excellent review, thanks for the taking the time to do this.
05-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love your review. It explains all of the qualities of the K100D, attributes and flaws.

This DSLR was my 1st introduction to Pentax DSLRs and was quite impressed with the build quality. I've since shelved it since i've purchased a K200D, since the K100D seems to go thru batteries a bit quicker and AF seems a touch slower. (Or i'm a touch slower - opinions may vary).

05-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #5

Class A: Great summary of the K100D.
I have had this camera for two years now and have taken almost 14,000 images. Most of these have only been of snapshot or postcard quality. This is my fault not the cameras. When I am in "the zone" and using the camera well it always delivers. I must admit however that I have yet to take any images that I could honestly rate better than 3 stars.
But I am always reminded of Ansel Adam's suggestion that if a photographer captures even 12 great images a year he or she is doing very well. If I can eventually come even close to that standard I will be happy.
I was considering upgrading to a K20 or K200 but your review has reminded me that I allready have a great camera. The challenge is to concentrate on improving my technique, getting out much earlier to catch the good light and perhaps then I will find myself in the zone more often.
At least I can now hold off buying that K20D until the price drops even more. The K-7 is not even on my wishlist.
Regards and may all your histograms be right.

Dick K.
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Class A's said it all. The K100D is a fine beginner's dSLR, as it was for me when I first got it.

All the modes were there to start learning about photography and I quickly became accustomed to the K100D's features and operation.

The advanced wireless flash features that are not supported on the K100D were not an issue for me just starting out, but after appreciating the feature in the K10D onwards I realised this would limit how far I could have gone with the K100D.

I kept it for about 18 months, and in that time took over 15,000 photos, and noticed the progression from start to finish. So I've been thankful to have been introduced to Pentax with such a capable and well-built little camera.
11-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks Class A for a classy review. I too bought the K100D as my first DSLR after looking at the D40 and the Rebel series - was not impressed with those. I remembered what impressed me the first time were two things - one, I could use AA batteries and two, I could use SD memory. There was a big price differential between CF and SD at that time - I thought it was a great idea. Despite all those claims that CF is better and more reliable (which I still doubt) than SD, I thought it was just a matter of time, SD format will dominating the flash memory industry at the consumer level and that getting SD format is a smart choice.

I started out with knowing nothing about photography until I owned the K100D, which has been a great learning tool for me. I have not for one moment regret that I didn't choose the C and N brand. All this time, I have been getting great images compare to my friends who have the other brands; may be because of my skills/knowledge versus theirs, not the camera.

Thanks for writing and sharing that review. And I will keep my K100D even if I progress (from K10D) and move up to K-7 or any future models.
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Class A, I want to share with you my K100D with the classic SMC 50mm gems.

Here it is:

Last edited by aleonx3; 02-23-2011 at 03:16 PM.
11-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I want to share with you my K100D with the classic SMC 50mm gems.
Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful image with us!

The fact that the K100D gels so well with these classic gems and the appreciation it received through the posters in this thread is testimony to the fact that it seems to be much more than just a random entry-level product created to generate income for a company. It seems likely that a lot of passion went into designing this camera and that it is a worthy family member of the history making K10D.