Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

Not a Pentax *ist DL review

QuoteOriginally posted by rayhosler Quote
I bought the *istDL in March 2006 as my first digital SLR. As a long-time user of Pentax, I did not consider other brands. I was not disappointed in this Pentax. It's reliable, easy to use, and older lenses are compatible.

I have used the camera at work as a photojournalist. Because there are so few controls and options I had no trouble learning how to use it to its fullest. The most frequent change I made was to the ISO setting for low-light settings.

I added a Sigma external flash and from then on I could shoot in any light and get good pics.

Using the veteran Pentax-M 150mm lens I got great portraits with nice brokeh.

I typically only use RAW for photos taken outside of work. While the camera industry has moved on -- since this now a digital world -- *istDL was a solid entry at the time.
I learned on a Spotmatic and I remember how well it fit in my hand. I didn't forget that and when the time came to buy my own camera I didn't consider other brands either. I got an MX. I've never looked back.

I've had power issues with mine for awhile. Now it won't power up at all. All I get is the dead battery icon flashing, even with new batteries. Spending money on a six megapixel camera without image stabilization made no sense so I upgraded to a K2000. Costco has it with the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm for $499.99 plus a free 2GB SD card. I ponied up $3.79 for UPS Second Day Air and it got here in 36 hours.

Costco - Hot Buy Pentax K2000 Body-Based Shake Reduction 3.5 Frames Per Second

Both of the lenses have plastic mounts and a hood is not included for the 18-55mm.

A long time ago one of my wife's friends gave her an M series 135 f/3.5 and gave me an M series 150mm f/3.5. That 135mm is really sharp. It's a little slow but it gets used outdoors so that doesn't matter. I haven't used the 150mm much but I like it a lot. I like that; brokeh. I'm not sure that I understand bokeh. I'll have to consult Mr. Wikipedia. Like Mr. Google he's a pretty smart guy.

I need to sit down and RTFM to find out how to use non K/A lenses on the digital.