Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Advice 1: Work on technique. If you can't get 90% sharp handheld shots with the K-x, either your technique needs work or you're using it in unreasonable conditions.

Advice 2: Stay away from the caps lock button.
Okay,no caps unless needed. You say its user error, before i posted i tried it on several settings plus i used a monopod. the shutter speed was 1/250. Now can you explain this as user error. Also i had no problems with the a350 or a K20d so why am i having this problem now. The day before i took some good clear shots of a bird but these had blue sky in the background. It seems as soon as i get a bit of background clutter i start having problems with out of focus shots. Some of these were taken at 1/500 and none under 1/100. You seem to know a lot, maybe you can help.

05-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX blurring problem

PM sent
05-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
thank you for interesting advice, what is caps lock button?
05-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nesnah53 Quote
Okay,no caps unless needed. You say its user error, before i posted i tried it on several settings plus i used a monopod. the shutter speed was 1/250. Now can you explain this as user error. Also i had no problems with the a350 or a K20d so why am i having this problem now. The day before i took some good clear shots of a bird but these had blue sky in the background. It seems as soon as i get a bit of background clutter i start having problems with out of focus shots. Some of these were taken at 1/500 and none under 1/100. You seem to know a lot, maybe you can help.
Ok, you were using a monopod, what focal lengths were you using, and what kind of blur are you seeing? If it's a consistent problem can you post some samples?

You note background clutter causing out-of-focus shots. OOF blur and motion blur (the subject of topics like this) are two very different things. It's quite possible that the issue lies in the autofocus rather than the SR. The K-x has 11 AF points but none of them are lit in the viewfinder, so for subjects like birds the autofocus system definitely needs some tweaking and practice to work well.

05-15-2010, 04:55 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Genshu Quote
thank you for interesting advice, what is caps lock button?
I was referring to nesnah53's post, which was written entirely in capital letters. The caps lock button is a key on the left side of the keyboard that causes all letters to be typed as capitals.
05-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #36

Original Poster
Dear HCC, frankly, a conclusion such as the one you quote, that SR produces little effect at any speed faster than 1/FL must rate as one of the non-statements of the year - shame on SLRgear.com for being so unprofessional.

You see, any competent photographer can get a sharp shot at 1/FL - this is the tried and tested guideline for a minimum shutter speed if you are handholding. What would be much more meaningful is how slow can you go with SR on before blurring the image?

In my case, it appears to be 3/FL but other posters say they can get 4 or even 5/FL, handheld with SR on. This fact makes SR very useful.

Apparent non-blurring at shorter focal lengths is a consequence of the focal length - a picture can be relatively blurred at a short focal length and look acceptable - not so at a long focal length. This makes an SR system that works effectively at longer focal lengths even more valuable.

To my mind the reviewers at SLRgear.com have shot themselves in the foot.
05-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nesnah53 Quote
That's OOF (focused on wrong part), nothing SR could help, don't blame on it .
Set your Kx to Spot focus (Center Focus Point) to shoot something with clutter background .
05-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Ok, you were using a monopod, what focal lengths were you using, and what kind of blur are you seeing? If it's a consistent problem can you post some samples?

You note background clutter causing out-of-focus shots. OOF blur and motion blur (the subject of topics like this) are two very different things. It's quite possible that the issue lies in the autofocus rather than the SR. The K-x has 11 AF points but none of them are lit in the viewfinder, so for subjects like birds the autofocus system definitely needs some tweaking and practice to work well.
Hi. I gave it another go this morning and you wouldn't believe it, all clear sharp shots. This without changing any settings and handheld. By the way i was using centre focus yesterday. This is the second time this has happenned so i will be keeping a close eye on it in the future. thanks for suggestions.