Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #1

More problems with my K10d, but not giving up on it...

Well, to make a long story short, I'm on my second K10d.

First one had a large, deep scratch on the LCD that was replaced by the retailer.

Unfortunately, on my second K10d, I have found that there is an incredible amount of dust and hair that seems to be trapped in between the focusing screen and pentaprism (and some of it appears to be stuck onto the pentaprism/viewfinder itself!). Also, the sensor has at least 4-5 different dust whoppers on it.

All these dust problems shouldn't occur with a camera that is less than two weeks old (with only really 3 days of usage), and that has had a lens stuck on it from the second the plastic mount cover was removed, and when I have never changed lenses on it. In other words, I cannot fathom how the majority of the dust in my camera can be attributed back to me, leading me to believe either there was a deficiency somewhere along the line at Pentax, or at the retailer.

Obviously, I am once again quite pissed at Pentax...but unfortunately I love the K10d and its feature set too much to give up on it.

I'm crossing my fingers that Pentax Canada will repair/replace the camera free under warranty. I hope some of you can sympathize with the *unlucky* situation I am in. Maybe the third time *will* be the charm for me

07-29-2007, 02:45 AM   #2

It seems to me that you need to find a more reputable retailer. The cameras are not being delivered in the condition you describe; you are being sold a repack.
07-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I'd suggest getting the 2nd camera cleaned by the store. If it's working fine otherwise. Dust is a fact of life with DSLR's (and many 35mm's as well) and even with a lot of care one lens change can introduce dust inside the body with any brand. The dust could be from the lens or just got trapped when you put the lens on, as it only takes a second for it to get in. It could also be 'sucked' in through the lens if it's a zoom. If any dust was trapped inside these ways, it can move around inside the mirror box when the shutter is fired and the mirror moves up which created a small air flow. Having had an LX for years with interchangeable screens has taught me that even after a proper cleaning there will always be a little dust.
07-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #4

I agree with Darren M. Sounds like your retailer is not up to snuff. Scratch on the LCD display plastic would normally not happen in manufacturing with only one unit. (The company I work for is 98% robots from manufacture to packaging)

Hair in your eyepiece could mean someone has used the camera for testing etc and may have had a lense on it to demo to a customer.

One thing to remember, any type of zoom can add dust on your sensor. My Bigma always adds some dust to my sensor no matter how clean I keep it. Even Canon has this problem if you read the threads on DPR you will see constant complaints of dirt on the sensor of 5D,30D.

07-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fireball, I am wondering if you buy your K10D via online/mail order, in which case, you may be given a previously returned or demo unit. I would return it to the store and demand a new one. If it is a retail store, I would check it out first and make sure everything is new before I give them my plastic card.

Another thing to be aware of is that dust or hair gets into the sensor or behind the viewfinder very easily (static electricity) if you have the lens brush near it when you have the lens removed. Keep the lens brush away from the mirror, viewfinder or sensor. If dust gets in while you are changing the lens, it is most likely very minor and not too much to worry as suggested by other members.

If you take it over to Pentax Canada (Mississauga), they will clean it up for you (free if it is still under warranty). I had up my K100D fixed of the hot pixel problem and the dirty viewfinder cleaned (no charge) and they did an excellent job.

Looking to upgrade to K10D someday. (Please email me which retailer I should avoid in Canada since you may have bad experience with one).
07-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

why don't you just clean mirror and viewfinder? Looks like you've got camera which was returned by the customer. I think that Pentax in no way is responsible for problems you are experiencing.

OT: you know, now I can see that sometimes "no return" sales policy (it's on in most European countries, you can't just return non-defective camera) is an advantage. At least we can be almost 100% sure that we get new camera and not the one who was previously sold and returned back...
07-29-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you take it over to Pentax Canada (Mississauga), they will clean it up for you (free if it is still under warranty). I had up my K100D fixed of the hot pixel problem and the dirty viewfinder cleaned (no charge) and they did an excellent job.
OMG that gives me major piece of mind haha!

Damn, thats gross haha. I agree with the other posters that it could be a return/demo. Also, if you have any pets at home, you should be keeping your camera stuff well locked away. The zooms are going to be a pain and with the lack of the DA*, you can't really be 'free' of the dust problem. (I'm quite skeptical about the DA*16-50's weather sealage given its duo-cam type lens extension.)
08-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, been a while, but this is an update:

Spoke with Pentax Canada through the Camera retailer's rep, and they have taken it back to "make things right" for me.

To give you an idea of how bad the sensor was (keep in mind, this is a camera with 708 cycles and in a non-dusty environment, with the same lens being on the body since the body came out of the box):

Hopefully this will work out! I love my K10d, and would like to have it back ASAP!

08-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account

wow lol, id say thats a pretty dusty sensor! some dust is expected, even new... i did a test like that on mine right out of the box just out of curiosity, and there were a few teeny tiny specs there, but NOTHING like that lol... im glad you sent it in for servicing... best of luck to you man, i hope things work out...