Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 03:22 AM   #1

What's a good Pentax DSLR in your opinon?

Well I've heard that Pentax got pretty decent DSLRs so in your words what is a good one? I do photography(street, Portrait, and sometimes sports) I'm thinking about getting a new camera, I'm tired of my Nikon I want to try something new, So help me out. haha Thanks

-Robert

05-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
well.. since you're already familiar with the whole Dslr thing you might want a Pentax K-7 .. check it out..
I myself have a K20d, since I don't do sports I'm ok with the slow fps.. IQ is magnificent and the fact that it's weather sealed, has SR and I can use all my old lenses from all my pentax film slrs.. good choice
05-08-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

IMHO, it does not matter what features a camera will provide, they just have to work. I am annoyed when features didn't work as intended. Also, Pentax proved to be capable of producing quiet and low vibration shutter/mirror, but their quality vary a lot between models, not good. I cannot name a Pentax DSLR that I really like or recommend, yet. But why are you tired of Nikon anyway? Need some new toy? Making too much money?
05-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
well.. since you're already familiar with the whole Dslr thing you might want a Pentax K-7 .. check it out..
I myself have a K20d, since I don't do sports I'm ok with the slow fps.. IQ is magnificent and the fact that it's weather sealed, has SR and I can use all my old lenses from all my pentax film slrs.. good choice
Oh whats the difference between the K-7 and K20d other then the slower fps? Does the K-7 have a weather seal also? Sorry for the questions I'm new to Pentax cameras. Pentax never crossed my mind on cameras but I'm tired of the whole Canon and Nikon thing, and I wanted to try something new Ya know.

05-08-2010, 03:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
IMHO, it does not matter what features a camera will provide, they just have to work. I am annoyed when features didn't work as intended. Also, Pentax proved to be capable of producing quiet and low vibration shutter/mirror, but their quality vary a lot between models, not good. I cannot name a Pentax DSLR that I really like or recommend, yet. But why are you tired of Nikon anyway? Need some new toy? Making too much money?
Hahahaha not making enough money but Yes I want a new toy. haha
05-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you know how to Google? Your questions are so generalized, maybe you should narrow it down a little. Maybe then you can get some quality informnation that may prevent choosing the wrong camera hence getting "tired" of Pentax later.

Jason
05-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Let me google that for you

05-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HuhPentax? Quote
Oh whats the difference between the K-7 and K20d other then the slower fps? Does the K-7 have a weather seal also? Sorry for the questions I'm new to Pentax cameras. Pentax never crossed my mind on cameras but I'm tired of the whole Canon and Nikon thing, and I wanted to try something new Ya know.
The K7 is weather sealed, faster AF, higher fps and is more compact. Also, it is much quieter than the K10/K20 (which have the same body). And finally you get HD movie capability.

On the other hand the K20 has basically identical image quality, which I find very, very good and en par with more expensive cameras from Canon or Nikon, at least on standard ISO settings. Byond 1000ISO, the K20 (and presumably the K7, havion the same sensor) will show more noise, than CaNikon - BUT because the internal noise reduction id less aggressive. Thus the Pentax images show more detail, than Canon's. And noise reduction can and should be applied in post-processing anyway, as the computer software is much more capable, than internal nr.

Another very good camera is the small K-x, which does not sprot the professional features (lower fps, smaller viewfinder, no battery grip etc.), but has very good high ISO capabilities, due to haviong a different sensor from the K20/K7, with a smaller pixel count.

A K20 or K7 is so cheap (compared to CaNikons of the same capabilities), that you can add a Kx just for high ISO shooting - and get a backup body thrown in.

Ben
05-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HuhPentax? Quote
Oh whats the difference between the K-7 and K20d other then the slower fps? Does the K-7 have a weather seal also?
Price and in your country you might not be able to get a K20D new. K7 has an autofocus assist beam, so one does not have to use the flash for that. If I'm not mistaken 4 channel instead of 2 channel sensor readout, but I can't tell you what difference it makes (maybe to do with the fps).

Kx is well known for its high iso performance, but lacks AF adjustment for individual lenses (back/front focus compensation) and has no focus point indicator in the viewfinder and no autofocus assist beam.

I suggest that you head over to e.g. Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ to read some reviews.

What's the best one? The one that lets you take good photos.
05-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After doing your research on the features you want and which of the Pentax dSLRs will offer them to you, you should then decide on a budget and see how it compares with the current cost of your most suited camera.

I can personally put my hand on my heart and recommend ANY Pentax dSLR, depending on what the user wants out of it. Seeing as though you talk about high fps, I figure this may be a feature you're after. This limits you to a used K20D (very affordable) or used K-7 (still expensive) or even a K-x (reasonably affordable, even if bought new).
05-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of them are "good". Only question is which is right for *you*, which no one can answer without a ton more information regaridng your needs and your budget.
05-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #12

Small, weather sealed (and cheap for this feature by comparison with CanNikon) with fantastic small lenses with and better IQ than say the Panasonic or Oly 4/3's, Vibration reduction/Shake reduction in camera so lenses are less complicated and smaller, intuitive menu logic ( I disklike my dad's D90 logic). And you find an old Takumar at a yard sale, and it's GOLD. Enough-- just do it.
05-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #13

I don't understand why you should switch either unless there is some specific reason for it, but this page can probably help you out with some things:
Pentax Digital Camera and lens resources from Photo.net
05-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
All of them are "good". Only question is which is right for *you*, which no one can answer without a ton more information regaridng your needs and your budget.
the only honest answer there is

I agree 100%

Right now, I have 3 that I use, all different, all good at something specific.

Any one of them I wouold be willing to pick up and use (obviously I bought them all didn't I)
05-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have the budget for the K7 go for that or else get the K-x dual kits