Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Still unhappy with k-7 focusing

I have been using my K-7 for about one month now and I am still unhappy with the auto focusing. I shoot mainly in the Av mode using the 50-200 smc Pentax DA lens, spot metering and center focus. Using the same photo finishing firm, I have compared pictures shot with my Olympus 520, under almost the same conditiions and the 520 kicks the K-7. The K-7 has some features that I love but I am almost ready to sell it and go back to Olympus. Any help you guys and gals can give will be appreciated.

05-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe post some (side by side) examples of the same subjects under the same conditions. And tell us what you think is wrong.
05-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
have you tested for front focus or back focus? You have adjustments for the K7 in the menu.
05-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tried a different lens? The 50-200 was pretty good on the K100D, but was hitting the limits on the K20D

05-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree, nothing anyone can possibly say without pictures from each and a clear explanation of what specifically you like better about the Olympus picture. But I'd just point out that cameras don't read minds about what you want to focus on even when you're selecting the focus "point" - anything *near* that indicator is fair game.
05-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have not done lens calibration with the AF adjustment tool (Menu item C 37,) then you really don't know whether your camera has a problem. I have done it with my K-7 using the LensAlign system, and all of my lenses are now razor sharp. There are other, less expensive, calibration aids, but you definitely need to go through the AF adjustment process. You might be surprised by how much your camera is front or back focusing. I had to replace my first K-7, because it was so far off that I could barely get it into proper calibration even with maximum AF adjustment. My second K-7 required much less adjustment, and I find its focusing to be fast and accurate. Just don't give up on the K-7. It is a great camera in so many ways.

Rob
05-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rainbowrider Quote
I have been using my K-7 for about one month now and I am still unhappy with the auto focusing. I shoot mainly in the Av mode using the 50-200 smc Pentax DA lens, spot metering and center focus. Using the same photo finishing firm, I have compared pictures shot with my Olympus 520, under almost the same conditiions and the 520 kicks the K-7. The K-7 has some features that I love but I am almost ready to sell it and go back to Olympus. Any help you guys and gals can give will be appreciated.
I would add to the other posts that you shoul provide more infos:

- do you use AF-S or AF-C?

- do you use center point, 5 pt, 11 pt ?

- do you have the same pb with another lens?

I advise to use AF-S and center point for your tests, and to repeat the test with another lens.