Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x Review in progress

I'm trying something different, thought it might be of interest here. I will continue to work on this review as time allows. Still working on my K7 review, as well.

Pentax K-x Review - AlphaMountWorld.com

Cheers,

Carl

05-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

carl good read that was.

i am rather busy at the moment so i would make only one comment:

about AF, if i remember reading dpr correctly about their news release about kx , they mentioned that AF is pretty much taken from k7.

(this was one of the reasons i chose kx over k7 because IQ was better (subjective opinion) and second important thing AF was close to k7).
05-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks Zxaar

on the AF, I have both bodies here and it seems the K-x winds it's motor slightly slower than the K7 does. I think the 11 point AF system is the same as far as the sensor and electronics, but I think the focus motor is either slower or they have the K-x set to focus a bit slower because it doesn't have micro adjust like the K7.

Just some thoughts though right now.

C
05-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a suggestion that I think would perfect your already great review of the camera, and that's more photos of the camera. Not necessarily photos to describe the parts of the camera, but just various angles for beauty shots of the camera between every other paragraph. I think that those keep interest and excitement for those who want the camera.

05-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yep that's part of the plan

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I have a suggestion that I think would perfect your already great review of the camera, and that's more photos of the camera. Not necessarily photos to describe the parts of the camera, but just various angles for beauty shots of the camera between every other paragraph. I think that those keep interest and excitement for those who want the camera.
Most of my reviews include more pictures of the camera, I'll continue to fill in blanks as I go along such as more photos of the camera when they pertain to the review in the more technical aspects.

05-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7/K20D and whatnot definitely have a bigger stronger focus motor, perhaps due to the extra voltage of the li-ion battery.

Nice review, look forward to the rest of it. I really liked the sony's as well and considered them ( I heard they have just as if not better legacy lens compatability?? ) but the entry level grips were way too thin for me!
05-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
Sony Legacy Lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
The K-7/K20D and whatnot definitely have a bigger stronger focus motor, perhaps due to the extra voltage of the li-ion battery.

Nice review, look forward to the rest of it. I really liked the sony's as well and considered them ( I heard they have just as if not better legacy lens compatability?? ) but the entry level grips were way too thin for me!
Thats a catch 22. There are many AF Minolta lenses that are used out there that are very good, yes. But, since the A700 came out, all Sony's DSLRS do not support any MF lenses in A,S,P modes , only M mode... and without any focus confirmation.

Pentax are the better brand in that case, and, they seem to have just as many lenses available on the cheap.

Cool on the motor/battery comment, that makes sense to me.

Carl
05-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Thats a catch 22. There are many AF Minolta lenses that are used out there that are very good, yes. But, since the A700 came out, all Sony's DSLRS do not support any MF lenses in A,S,P modes , only M mode... and without any focus confirmation.

Pentax are the better brand in that case, and, they seem to have just as many lenses available on the cheap.

Cool on the motor/battery comment, that makes sense to me.

Carl
Without focus confrimation? Ack. Do they get metering in M mode?

05-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes they do at least give metering on the EV bar, but its very backwards overall.

Sony took focus confirmation and use of modes out of the DSLRS to try and get Alpha shooters to buy the new lenses. There is NO other explaination for it. Why?

Because the A100 and A700 (first two designs) allowed the use of those modes (albiet did not have focus confirmation either).

Sony is too arrogant in design decisions, they are try to trap users and they didnt realize that users were smarter than them.

C
05-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
Added another small section today

just an fyi for those who are following this sort of "diary" review..

carl
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
Realized through testing today the K-x has a different dust reduction system than the K7, noted it in the review. DPR didn't catch it either, at least on the specifications page, I emailed them and let them know.

Carl
05-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice review so far, different slant is a good read.

By the way, why did you shoot the K-x photo in the "product shot" at 640iso? Were you hand holding your K-7?

Jason
05-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks Jason, I'll be adding much more to it piece by piece.

Yep sure was. Wasn't in the mood to set up the whole lighting thing for product shots, basically I was being lazy but I liked the unprocessed unsalesy look.

C
05-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Forum Member

Great review!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
I'm trying something different, thought it might be of interest here. I will continue to work on this review as time allows. Still working on my K7 review, as well.
Pentax K-x Review - AlphaMountWorld.com
Cheers,
Carl
Very nice review! I just bought a K-x, and I am having a BLAST with the High ISO!

Hmm... sunshine, ocean, seagulls, and pelicans - makes me wanna go to the beach and take pictures!

Greg
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkreth Quote
Very nice review! I just bought a K-x, and I am having a BLAST with the High ISO!

Hmm... sunshine, ocean, seagulls, and pelicans - makes me wanna go to the beach and take pictures!

Greg
you mean all this is not marketing hype. If you shoot raw you have no advantages over others.
How can you shoot with it , it has no weather sealing.
Without focus point confirmation i do not know how you can even frame anything and then focus.
To add to all this misery, there is no stabilization in lens and we know in body SR does not work well.

And in the end, can you click more than 5 times and battery still charged???

Edited to add: Camera is useless without two wheel control. :-D

/// sarcasm