Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K10D CCD vs. CMOS K 20D

Habe eine K 10 D, die wohl leider unreparabel defekt ist und berlege mir, vorerst eine K 20 D zuzulegen, bis vielleicht eine neue Kamera aus K-x und K7 auf dem Markt kommt. Habe mal die Daten verglichen und dabei sind mir die beiden verschiedenen Sensortypen aufgefallen.
Habe mal gelesen, dass der CMOS bei Vollformat Vorteile bringt, sonst eher der CCD Vorteile hat.

Welcher der beiden Sensortypen ist denn nun wirklich besser fr die K Serie von Pentax und welchen Unterschied machen sie aus?

05-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
This may help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82932-upgrade-k10d.html

I find the colours from the k100d alot better than the dull colours of our k20d.
05-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Page Quote
This may help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82932-upgrade-k10d.html

I find the colours from the k100d alot better than the dull colours of our k20d.
Without going into technical details of semiconductor technobabble, let me try to explain.

CCD stands for charged coupled device. Think of it as long series of semiconductor bins, or buckets, that are linked in a long row and pass on electrical charge from one to another.
It's like a series of elements, where when entered a certain quantity of electrical charge into the first, after passing it on, this charge is delivered at the last.
This passing on of electrical charge takes some time.
CCD technology was originally not invented for image sensors, one of its early applications was for instance audio delay lines for wow or echo effects.

The advantage of CCD technology is that you need a relative few electrical contacts to read out a large amount of bins (pixels), however, it takes some time.

So, one it is relatively easy to manufacture large sensors using CCD technology, but the technology is rather slow. Therefore it cannot do live view or video.

CMOS is a term that stands for a certain type of transistor technology. Not for a setup of the pixel array. CMOS sensors use parallel readout. That is the main difference. CMOS (or NMOS for all that matters) is a technology that uses very low currents and is very sensitity to input signals.

What is much more important than CCD versus CMOS is the overall chip design, micro lens setup, cross talk etc.

I would not worry about the sensor technology, rather look at the end results.
I feel that at low ISO values my K10D still produces images better in balance and less noise than my K-7, while at 800 ISO it is the other way around.
The question is what is more important?

- Bert
05-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
So would you agree with me about the colours as well bymy141?

05-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it`s worth. I find the colors from K100d better than from K7.
Hey, Sony has been making CCD sensors for a long time.. "Therefore it cannot do live view or video",( the CCD), and video cameras to think of it

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
05-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Page Quote
So would you agree with me about the colours as well bymy141?
Well.... it depends.
Many people praise the K-7 for its auto white balance under artificial light.
It is *good*!

However, in bright tropical sunlight in yellow gras with black soil environments, my K-7 AWB believes that it is working indoors.
Resulting is a far to cold color temperature setting by the AWB.
Since I only shoot RAW it is hardly a problem and easily corrected in post processing.
Look at this post please: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/74456-k-7-auto-whi...e-problem.html

All in all I find my K10D colour in daylight feeling better. I guess just a matter of taste.
What I've seen of the K-x, looks better to me as well.

A link to explore: ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒXK-xy‘2‰z‚Š“x‚K-7‚”Šr‚‚ - ƒfƒWƒJƒWatch
It is a Japanse article, read it using Google's chrome translator and you'll understand the content.
However, the translation is not important the images speak for themselves I think.

Here you can clearly see the differences in the colour rendering between the K-x and the K-7.

Cheers, Bert
05-10-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Do note that the K10D does not do forced auto-DFS (for long exposures such as fireworks photography), while the K20D and all later cameras do.
05-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
For what it`s worth. I find the colors from K100d better than from K7.
Hey, Sony has been making CCD sensors for a long time.. "Therefore it cannot do live view or video",( the CCD), and video cameras to think of it

Cheers, Mike.
I find that the color red is saturated too quickly on the K100D. I prefer the K20D colours wich are more neutral.

Pascal

05-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #9

I have K-x and K10D, I still prefer the K10D color, don't know if that's the senor difference.
05-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to have K100, GX20 and still keep 2x K10.
I agree that red on K100D gets oversaturated too quickly and blue is too much in magenta teritory.
GX20 was better but in these respects but I never liked the output more than that of K10. At low ISO settings this good old (and well appraised - think of Nikons D80 and D200) still delivers superb results. As far as high ISO goes, with correct exposures you can get great shots up to ISO1000-1250, at 1600 its doable but the age of the sensor shows there....
Anyway, if the high ISO is not as important to you than K10 still delivers great results.