Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

pentax k-x or not?

should i get the pentax k-x? i have done some research on it and found that it is better then the nikon d3000 and how i could use the old lenses on it. is this a good camera or not? would you recommend it? do you have one? is it good? what problems do you have with it? sorry for all the questions but just trying to find this stuff out

05-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No need to shout...

It's a very good camera. The dynamic range of it's sensor is excellent, it's high ISO capabilities are very good and it's overall image quality (as measured by dxomark.com) is practically second to none at any price.

Buy it with one of the kit lens kits - eg the 18-55 + 55-300mm kit. You will have a great time with the camera, the lenses, and will have very few regrets.

For the rest of your questions, just lurk around these forums to gather all the information you need on the K-x. There are millions of threads here on the K-x.
05-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
k54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for the K-x. I'm a former Nikon D-80 user until I broke it. I tried my friend's D-5000 and D-90 and finally decided on the Pentax K-x due to this forum.

I loved my K-x and it is producing sharp images and very good images in low light at high ISO.

The D-3000 and D-5000 VR and AF motor drive is on the lens while the SR and the AF motor drive of the K-x is in the body like my former D-80 or the D-90.

You will have no problems with your lens choices and even use the old 70's K mount lens if you have them or from 2nd hand sources.

It won the 2010 TIPA award for best entry level DSLR http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details.php?iId=1768&sAward=Best+DSLR+Entry+Level
05-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by huskies4ever Quote
should i get the pentax k-x? i have done some research on it and found that it is better then the nikon d3000 and how i could use the old lenses on it. is this a good camera or not? would you recommend it? do you have one? is it good? what problems do you have with it? sorry for all the questions but just trying to find this stuff out
We would be able to read it in the above format as well

Which old lenses do you have? K-mounts will work (be careful if you have a lens with the infamous Ricoh pin). It might be full manual (no AF, no automatic exposure). M42 screwmounts will work with an adaptor.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No need to shout...
It's not shouting. Just indicating that the camera needs to have a magnifying eyepiece as well.

05-10-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-X is an excellent camera. You won't regret buying it.
05-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Buy a K7 - it is better than Nikon D300 if you want comparisons...
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
k-x is an excellent camera. You won't regret buying it.
it's easier to read when you type in all caps and color! Plus underscore! But i wish i could apply a shadow and outline style! Plus, it's good to use a lot of exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW COME IT WON'T DO ALL CAPS!?????? YOU'RE RUINING MY STYLE!!!!!!!

VERY INTERESTING! WOULDN'T ALLOW ME TO DO IT ON THE ORIGINAL REPLY!

05-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
K-X is an excellent camera. You won't regret buying it.
Can you speak up please?
05-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have never owned a DSLR before I bought the Kx and it is amazing. For ~$500 you cannot find a better camera.
05-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #10

"Better" or not depends.

I assume D3000, D5000, 1000D, 500D, 550D, k-x is rather similar all of them, with some being better for some things and others better for other things.

Regarding lenses I think you can put old glass (eventually with adapters) on all of them though some lenses will be manual focus only. And on the D3000 it lacks an auto-focus motor on the house so I further assume that all lenses with autofocus but no motor in the lens will only work as manual lenses on the D3000.

If you're not going to buy yourself info a lot of other equipment for your camera more than camera + kitlens I think the k-x may be a good choice (mostly based on shake reduction in the camera but on the other hand the Nikons and Canons sell with kitlenses with shake reduction in the lens so doesn't matter really.)
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will not regret. Get the K-x
05-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
get the Kx.. enough said
05-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The reason i would buy the Kx is its ISO performance, which is beyond that of any other entry level camera. The D5000 has a nice foldout LCD screen, but i shoot playhouse performances in low light, and so the ISO is the priority for me.
05-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
pentax k-x or not?

iwas not shouting iwas just seeing how big it really was! and thanks to all of you that recomends it!
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
k54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by huskies4ever Quote
iwas not shouting iwas just seeing how big it really was! and thanks to all of you that recomends it!
Well some people are nice and some are not. Just post normally to avoid flaming.

When flaming starts then there's DOS attack etc and the Server or Forum will go down, I'm an IT Officer and a former Admin at forumer.com and situations like these can sometimes lead to the downfall of a good forum.

Anyway, you will never get wrong on the K-x if you have limited budget. It is also the reason why I bought my K-x and I am impressed by the IQ and High ISO performance.

If I have enough money, I will go for the Nikon D-90 or maybe the K-7 being a long Pentax user.

However I use Breeze System DSLR remote pro as an application for some documentation related to our business that's why I was disappointed that the K-x and K-7 do not have this feature that is available on almost every Nikon or Canon.

If you do not require such computer application then go with the K-x or K-7 where your budget will permit.