Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D Firmware v1.04

Dear Folks, request your help for loading Firmware v1.04 to the K20D, as any error can lead to a non working camera. And Pentax charges are very stiff for any repairs due to Firmware loading errors:
1) The firmware installation instruction does not clearly state whether to a) Format the SDHC Card in-camera or b) in Laptop. When the SDHC card is formatted in-camera, it creates a blank folder DCIM inside the card.
2) After inserting the card to the Laptop slot do we need to delete the DCIM folder and then load the firmware file fwdc183b.bin from the Laptop to the card?
3) The instruction further states "Copy the Firmware file [fwdc183b.bin] to the Root Directory in the SDHC card".
What is this Root Directory and where is it located in the SDHC Card? So where / how do we copy the firmware file to the SDHC Card "Root Directory"?
Friends, hope you appreciate the concern.
Thanks Friends.
Nanhi.

05-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can if you like delete all folders(this is what I do).. but by just copying the .bin file to the sd card it will go in the same place where the folders are kept... that is your root directory.

My experience shows that the camera will pick up the .bin file and load the update.

Remember to delete the file when you have completed the install
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
You can if you like delete all folders(this is what I do).. but by just copying the .bin file to the sd card it will go in the same place where the folders are kept... that is your root directory.

My experience shows that the camera will pick up the .bin file and load the update.

Remember to delete the file when you have completed the install
Always format the card in your camera.
05-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Format

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Always format the card in your camera.
I second that.

Also your root directory is the one where the DCIM directory is located at. So if you delete this directory, you are in the root. After upgrade, delete the file or simply reformat the card.

05-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hrm. How'd I manage to miss news of new firmware....
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How sweet of you, all my Pentaxian Friends, for the prompt reply. I am confident now and will apply version 1.04 to my K20D tonight.
Actually when I bought the camera from B&H it had v1.01. I applied v1.03 and forgot how I did it - not eating enough califorinia almonds I suppose. Note: v1.02 does not exist.
Ratmagiclady Sir/Madam, please let me know the performance from your camera after you have applied the latest Firmware. Actually it was released in early April 2010 itself.
Nanhi