Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 Movie mode documentation

Any useful information out there on the movie mode beyond what's in the manual? For example, I can't find anything on how exposure and metering is functioning. Is it in ISO sensitivity mode or aperture priority?

I ran some tests and heard some noises that could've been aperture being worked as I moved from dark to bright to dark subjects. At other times it seems that the sensitivity is changing.

I want to make more use of movie mode for some instructional web material (fishing, what else?) as these will all be short, outdoor clips. But first I need to know what the camera is doing before I go through the bother of planning a shoot, doing the location work, script, etc.

05-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, found some answers.

It uses both aperture and ISO sensitivity. The combination can produce artifacts when moving from light to dark back to light, plus noise that could be picked up by the mic. In the movie functions in the menu, the aperture can be set to 'fixed' so ISO only would control exposure while the movie mode is recording. According to the manual, no camera controls work while recording, though manual focusing and zooming is still possible. Flash does not work obviously.

Of course AF is not functional as the mirror is up. The AF button or manual focus has to be done before recording. This clearly this is not the best tool for moving subjects.

In the movie menu, shake reduction can be turned off. Since this looks like static shooting is best, a tripod is probably the best choice, so SR can be set to OFF here while in movie mode.

Rapid panning is not a good idea. An external mike is best to avoid picking up camera noises.

Most important thing I've run across so far -- if the output is intended to be used with Final Cut Express, then only use the 16:9 format as the two 3:2 formats cannot be handled by FCE. iMovie can handle the 3:2 formats and FCE can read the iMovie XML, but there is a quality drop. The native Apple codec for 720p 30 works fine in FCE with the 16:9 mode.

Fortunately the static nature of my shoots will fit in well with the movie mode's lack of flexibility.

Last edited by Rusty Rat; 05-12-2010 at 11:12 AM.
05-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the info and documentation. That is very valuable info and I agree with you that the Pentax K-7 instruction manual is poor on the topic.