Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by squarerigger Quote
Will - I should probably not be offering advice as I am not experienced enough to get paid to take photos, but I would probably go for the extra body. My reasoning is two fold - if one camera has a malfunction you are not screwed and secondly you have two lenses available without havng to make changes and possibly miss the shot.
Gary,

Eons ago, I used to carry a couple cameras around on a shoot, and they were often those twin-lens reflexes. That and a meter and a clunky flash unit. I don't remember how I managed it. I was stronger then than I am now. Nevertheless, this is a good point -- and I mentioned it in my original post -- and I'm not totally feeble just yet.

Will

07-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
When is the new K100D supposed to come out?
Answering my own question: Looks like the K100D Super will be available from Amazon (or rather, Amazon expects it to be available) September 1. Body only for about $530, which isn't bad -- although it's almost $200 more than I'd spend on a body-only *ist D. Decisions, decisions.

Life would be much simpler if I were rich.

Will
07-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

No kidding!

No good advice here - my first thought on seeing your list of equipment was "a fast prime" and I'm partial to close up shots of details, so a macro would be a great choice, but I wouldn't choose a macro or ~100mm for a wedding/banquet/other event.

When you think about a second body, think about how you'll be using it. I find myself fumbling from time to time going from the K10D with dual control wheels to the DS. But the DS, DL, and 100 have their strengths as well. How easily can you change from one to another and does it matter for the photography you're doing? It may for you, though for me as a strict "hobbyist" it doesn't so much.

Good luck with your choice.

PS - people speak highly of the 90mm Tamron as well, so if you go the macro route, you might look at that as well.
08-01-2007, 04:49 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi Will

I'm quietly relieved to hear that you're finally thinking along the sensible lines of a back-up safety option (Plan B) by purchasing a second body.

Here are just two quick thoughts for you. The 'new' K100D Super' (Wow, what an inspired product title !) only offers two improvements over it's younger sibling: support for Supersonic Drive Motor (SDM) lenses and Dust Removal (DR).

Q 1.) Will you EVER be using the more expensive SDM lenses when they finally become available ? If not, why are you paying for SDM support in the new body ?

Q 2.) How important is DR to you ?

All I am saying is that if you're on a tight budget right now, a K100D body is bound to be the cheaper option as it is slowly phased out. On the other hand, if you think that you would benefit from using both/either SDM & DR in the immediate future, the K100D Super is really a no-brainer.......just don't try reaching out instinctively for that second e-dial, cos one of your fingers is going to find itself temporarily redundant !!

Best regards
Richard

08-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
I'm quietly relieved to hear that you're finally thinking along the sensible lines of a back-up safety option (Plan B) by purchasing a second body.
"Quietly"?

And finally(bold and italics!)? I started this thread two days ago. And I was thinking about buying another backup camera in the original post.

QuoteQuote:
Q 1.) Will you EVER be using the more expensive SDM lenses when they finally become available? If not, why are you paying for SDM support in the new body?

Q 2.) How important is DR to you?
Dust reduction seems to work reasonably well on the K10D (in my experience, anyway). I think it's better to have this feature than not to have it.

As for your first question, I've already concluded on my own that it's not especially pertinent, as I already have the K10D. So I can use the new lenses if and when I feel like buying them.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. I did order the Sigma 10-20 already.

WP
08-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going to be shooting weddings, you need a back-up camera more than a new lens. I think you can actually get sued over equipment malfunctions, so you need a little insurance. Hell hath no fury like a bride with screwed up wedding pics. (If you were just shooting personal pics, I'd say go for the lens.)
08-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #22

Answering my own question: Looks like the K100D Super will be available from Amazon (or rather, Amazon expects it to be available) September 1. Body only for about $530, which isn't bad -- although it's almost $200 more than I'd spend on a body-only *ist D. Decisions, decisions.

Will
I got mine about a week ago from pixmania.com. I'm not sure if it's been released in Europe already.... anyway, I've got mine and I'm happy.

08-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Still not sure what I'm going to do. I did order the Sigma 10-20 already.

WP[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the new lens Will. I still think you should have a spare body as a backup for such important events. Not necessary to have it hanging around the neck just have it in the kit bag incase the unexpected happens. But then I am one who believes in redundancy.
08-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Will

Having discussed the 'why's & wherefore's' of your options pretty thoroughly on this post, I'm convinced that you're gonna love the amazing abilities that the Sigma 10-20mm has to offer. I hope that in due course you can find the neccesary funds to purchase a new/used Pentax DSLR of some description and then you should have 'all bases covered' for your future photographic endeavours

Best regards
Richard.