Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I have 2 Transend card 4GB class 10. I just took over 1000 photos from my vacation in my K-X and I got no problems at all. I was able photo in raw in continuous witout a hitch. This seem strange

07-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

SanDisk results?

QuoteOriginally posted by shim Quote
A lot of people have had problems with Sandisk as well. I've had two faulty Extremes and it seemed a lot of trouble sending them back from the UK I think we have to send them to Belgium or somewhere in Europe.
Now you have me wondering ....

How many posting here have had failures with SanDisk??

I've tried two or three brands but almost everything I shoot is on SanDisk Extreme III or (less likely) Ultra II. No problem over three years and 20-30K images.

I simply don't remember random SanDisk or Lexar failures although I'm certain they exist.

SanDisk/Lexar users comments ???
07-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I will have to "knock on wood" since posting this, been using san-disk extreme and ultra for past several years with no problems.
I did have one "card error" with my newest class 10 in the K-7, just happened once, reinserting the card took care of it. Not sure what triggered that event.
07-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The main problem with users reporting is that it is based on a sample of one or very few samples.

Think of the hundreds if not thousands of SD or SDHC cards sold
then the sample of one or few then becomes statistically insignificant.

However that obviously does not take away from the validity of any individual report.

The general opinion is that SanDisk and Lexar have a well deserved reputation for reliablity - that obviously does not mean they are always perfect (and I did choose that word deliberately).

However it's funny that the few reports of any SanDisk (or Lexar) having problems are put down to a bad sample or operator error -
yet anything from a lesser known brand -
gets instant advice like why use an unknown brand - use SanDisk or Lexar....
kind of biased isn't it? - based on very small samples - and what information does the advice giver have that's more than the average person - do they really have true failure statistics from all known brands to give such definitive advice?

The truth probably is that most known brands do probably work fine most of the time in any camera - we tend to hear of the horror stories (sample of one or few) but for each of those there are probably hundreds (perhaps thousands) of satisfied users that we do not hear from - that's just human nature.

If a particular SD/SDHC was that bad that the majority fail - then there would be news from the industry and that product would not last long on the market -
even SD/SDHC cards with pretty poor reports (horror stories even) on places like Amazon are still very small samples -
and the fact that those continue to be on sale and listed probably means most of them do work just fine........

It's like the earlier blanket statement that the K-x has problems with Class 10 cards - where is the evidence - other than difficulties with a few samples? where's the statement from Pentax on this?

07-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #35

SDHC Card Choice

It's difficult to decinde on what SDHC card size and what brand to choose. But I think I am going along the route of several smaller (4 or 8 GB) card rather than one large. Partly this is influenced by having a 32GB SD fail yesterday, fortunately with only just a few test shots on it !

But what brand should I go for..... Sandisk seems to be well thought of so I am seriously considering these, I have seen the Sandisk Extreme that are Class 6 or Class 10, I don't know in detail what Class 6 or 10 means apart from I think a 10 is supposed to be faster is that correct ? Also There is a choice of Sandisk Extreme and Sandisk Extreme III, can anyone tell me what the difference is ?

I will use them in a K100D, does it make any difference whether I have a Class 6 or 10 and if I have an Extreme or Extreme III ? With certain cameras does it get to a point where getting faster memory makes no difference ?

Regards,

Frosty
07-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty Quote
I will use them in a K100D, does it make any difference whether I have a Class 6 or 10 and if I have an Extreme or Extreme III ?
There have been tests on the write speed of the K100D = 2.54Mb/s
please see this old Post #4 for the reference.
This means that a Class 4 card is more than adequate for the K100D
since class 4 is rated at a minimum 4Mb/s write speed.

Faster cards will not make one's camera faster (you'll see in that old post I used 150x SD cards that have a sustained write speed of about 8-10Mb/s so it would be a class 6 possibly class 10 - if class ratings were available then and my K100D did not go any faster).

Also it is less critical to have faster cards in the K100D since it does not do video.

Hope that helps
07-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #37

Many thanks for that Vincent that was very helpful, I can save money with no loss of speed then :-) Do you happen to know what the difference between the Sandisk Extreme and Extreme III , and also the ultra range is, is just a speed thing again which with the K100D I can safely ignore ?

Frosty

07-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frosty Quote
Many thanks for that Vincent that was very helpful, I can save money with no loss of speed then :-) Do you happen to know what the difference between the Sandisk Extreme and Extreme III , and also the ultra range is, is just a speed thing again which with the K100D I can safely ignore ?
SanDisk has the details on their own site:

SanDisk Extreme SDHC - notice these are the latest 30Mb/s Editions - that has to be a read speed.
These are rated as Class 10 which means minimum write rate of 10 Mb/s.

SanDisk Extreme III SDHC - again these are marked as 30Mb/s Edition - so what's the difference between the III and the above?
Class 6 - so write speed has to be >6Mb/s but <10Mb/s

SanDisk Ultra SDHC - notice it is marked 15Mb/s - this has to be the read speed - the Class 4 means it has a minimum write speed >4Mb/s but <6Mb/s (otherwise they could call it a Class 6).

The Ultra series would do fine in the K100D.

But so would any Class 4, Class 6 or even Class 10 and there are plenty to choose from - just choose a well known name and buy from a reputable/reliable vendor - and you ought to be fine.

Buying and paying for a more expensive "fastest" card is unlikely to show any advantage in the K100D - other than uploading via a fast card reader - then it's not really the K100D going any faster is it?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
07-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #39
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
So far I've had no problems with my K-x and my Transcend 8GB class 10 chip. No heavy usage yet, but everything seems to work just fine.
07-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I have a white class 10 16GB Toshiba that seems to work fine with the K-x.
07-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I bought myself a no-name card "MUSTANG" 4GB class 10. After 330 frames, all goes well.
It was the cheapest I could find (about 12 EUR). Writing speed 7.8MB, tested with the card reader embedded in Dell Laptop, whatever controller Dell are using.
07-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #42

For anyone having problems or even just questions about whether to format the card in the camera, a computer, a card reader, etc., just use the Panasonic SD/SDHC memory card utility:

SD Memory Card Formatting Software | SD Memory Card | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

I've used this on a variety of cards (SD & SDHC), including a couple of MicroSD cards that were giving me some problems in my phone(s) and my kids' Nintendo DS game consoles. The way I figure it, who can you trust to put out a memory card format utility if not one of the three original inventors of the memory form factor?

Just to throw my hat in the ring for what card to get, I've never had any problems with Kingston cards -- not even the "slow" ones (Class 4). I'm currently rotating several Kingston Class 4 4GB cards with my KX, and have no trouble shooting faster fps or even video. Don't know what the technical speeds are -- all I care is that it works, the brand has proven reliable over the years, and they're significantly cheaper than Sandisk.

-- Chris
07-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
For anyone having problems or even just questions about whether to format the card in the camera, a computer, a card reader, etc., just use the Panasonic SD/SDHC memory card utility:

SD Memory Card Formatting Software | SD Memory Card | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

I've used this on a variety of cards (SD & SDHC), including a couple of MicroSD cards that were giving me some problems in my phone(s) and my kids' Nintendo DS game consoles. The way I figure it, who can you trust to put out a memory card format utility if not one of the three original inventors of the memory form factor?
Thanks for that useful link.

However, not to be disagreeable -
but most experienced Pentax dSLR users here recommend formatting any SD/SDHC in the camera.

I only format in camera, and all the time, and have not had any problems -
but I do realize I am only a sample of one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
Just to throw my hat in the ring for what card to get, I've never had any problems with Kingston cards -- not even the "slow" ones (Class 4). I'm currently rotating several Kingston Class 4 4GB cards with my KX, and have no trouble shooting faster fps or even video. Don't know what the technical speeds are -- all I care is that it works, the brand has proven reliable over the years, and they're significantly cheaper than Sandisk.
Kingston is actually a very reputable memory manufacture - they actually make a lot of the flash drives out there that are sold under other well known names - in fact one of the fastest USB flash drives by test and reputation is the Patriot XPorter XT - I have the 8Gb version and according to the USBDeview utility and their page of published test results it is made by Kingston.

Class 4 means that the minimum write speed is >= 4Mb/s and most likely <6Mb/s otherwise they could sell it as a Class 6.....

Wikipedia on SDHC speed class ratings
07-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have tested my main card - sandisk extreme III for speed in camera, as well as the class 10 Mustang as backup, and a Toshiba class 4, from my colleages at work. K-x is behaving the same: 17 frames in 4 seconds, 88 frames in 30 seconds, with all 3 cards, in the same conditions.
That makes me believe that not the speed of card is issue, but mainly the quality and warranty that you will not loose your pictures before saving them on HDD
07-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I have a white class 10 16GB Toshiba that seems to work fine with the K-x.
Toshiba White's if you can get them are probably the cards to go for. I've used load of them no problems and faster than anything else I've got. Made in Japan not China.

shim