Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #61
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by rRnt Quote
Card does not (or at least should not) affect image quality, but you benefit from faster card if your camera has high shooting speed - like that of the K-x (4,7 frames per second).
I shot my first continuous burst with my new K-x yesterday using my new PQI 8GB "class 10" SDHC card. Seemed very fast! Is there any reasonably easy way to determine the burst speed I'm getting?

I was using the card for the first time. I shot some HD videos, over 1/2 dozen, anywhere from 300MB to 1GB. When I went to play them in VLC media player on my PC, I got messages that the files were broken. I elected to fix them, and the index was rebuilt. I think it had to do with synch between the video and the audio. When I watched them on my laptop the day before, they played in the default player, WMP, and got no message concerning broken files. However, the audio finished before the video! I had the same experience when using my Kingston 2GB SD card. Could the problem be with the cards?

08-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #62
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
amazon has a patriot class 10 8gb sdhc for 25 bucks
Amazon.com: Patriot LX Series Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card: Electronics

i ordered one last week and paid 24 bucks.

or the transcend class 6 8gb for $18.60
Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC6E: Electronics

i would go with atleast a class 6 just to make sure you dont get any corrupted images.
i have a eye-fi 4gb class 2, i think, and one out of maybe 10 pics is not viewable. the card is cool with wifi and geotagging but i dont want to loose that 1 pic that could be the 1.

jorge
Those prices have gone up. Has there been a swing up in SDHC prices? Those two cards are now $21.37 and $29.54.
- - - - - -
I just tested my new PQI 8GB class 10 card, freshly formatted in my K-x ($10 coupon found on Fat Wallet):

Sequential Read : 19.124 MB/s
Sequential Write : 15.206 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 18.962 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.135 MB/s

Test : 100 MB [E: 0.0% (0.1/7551.0 MB)] (x3)
Date : 2010/08/05 7:22:21
OS : Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP2 [6.0 Build 6002] (x86)
- - - -
Looking at the other CDM tests in this thread I'm concerned at the last figure, Random Write 512KB, only 1.135MB/S. Other's cards are testing a lot faster.
08-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #63
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
For anyone having problems or even just questions about whether to format the card in the camera, a computer, a card reader, etc., just use the Panasonic SD/SDHC memory card utility:

SD Memory Card Formatting Software | SD Memory Card | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

I've used this on a variety of cards (SD & SDHC), including a couple of MicroSD cards that were giving me some problems in my phone(s) and my kids' Nintendo DS game consoles. The way I figure it, who can you trust to put out a memory card format utility if not one of the three original inventors of the memory form factor?

Just to throw my hat in the ring for what card to get, I've never had any problems with Kingston cards -- not even the "slow" ones (Class 4). I'm currently rotating several Kingston Class 4 4GB cards with my KX, and have no trouble shooting faster fps or even video. Don't know what the technical speeds are -- all I care is that it works, the brand has proven reliable over the years, and they're significantly cheaper than Sandisk.

-- Chris
Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, SDHC cards are very much a YMMV affair. I saw at least one post saying that Kingston cards have been quite problematical and just read a post in this thread by Shim saying that Sandisk cards have significant problems. So, there seems to be no safe way to go yet...
08-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #64
New Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 14
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
When I went to play them in VLC media player on my PC, I got messages that the files were broken. I elected to fix them, and the index was rebuilt. I think it had to do with synch between the video and the audio. When I watched them on my laptop the day before, they played in the default player, WMP, and got no message concerning broken files. However, the audio finished before the video! I had the same experience when using my Kingston 2GB SD card. Could the problem be with the cards?
I shot a few videos with my K-x and haven't noticed a video/audio sync problem. It might possibly be the codecs in your PC not being up-to-date. This would affect WMP. VLC doesn't use the codecs installed into Windows. VLC decodes multimedia using its own software libraries. Thus, for VLC, try updating to the latest version.

BTW, to subscribe to a thread without posting a message, simply click on the checkmark graphic on the bar at top of the message section. Look for [Checkmark] [Printer] [Envelope] ["Search this Thread"].

08-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #65
Junior Member
Xlusionist's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
i gotten the kingston 8g sdhc card (class 4) today, wanted to get class 6 but the shop didn't have it. the assistant told me class 4 will have no issue with hd video recording and continuous shots....

i did try but can't conclude whether the card gave any problem as im still new to the camera... how do i conclude that my class 4 card works without a hitch?
08-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #66
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
i gotten the kingston 8g sdhc card (class 4) today, wanted to get class 6 but the shop didn't have it. the assistant told me class 4 will have no issue with hd video recording and continuous shots....

i did try but can't conclude whether the card gave any problem as im still new to the camera... how do i conclude that my class 4 card works without a hitch?
Probably the way to check is to shoot a Movie at the highest quality (1280x720 ***) and see if there are any problems - probably a couple of minutes is enough to tell.

from page 44 of the K-x manual:


be aware of the Live View display time limit and temperature (page: 150) -


and page: 151 shows
Movie capacity (4Gb) or time limit (25 mins)
and warning about temperature again -


I don't shoot movies - so please correct if wrong.

However the practical way is to use the K-x the way you intend to - and figure out the most demanding - eg: if you intend to shoot continuous then try the K-x out to see if it conforms to spec for the number of shots in a sequence and time it to figure out if it is shooting at the rate in the specs (although that probably is more dependent on the buffer size and not really the SD card...) etc.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 08-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.
08-09-2010, 02:33 AM   #67
Junior Member
Xlusionist's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Probably the way to check is to shoot a Movie at the highest quality (1280x720 ***) and see if there are any problems - probably a couple of minutes is enough to tell.

from page 44 of the K-x manual:


be aware of the Live View display time limit and temperature (page: 150) -


and page: 151 shows
Movie capacity (4Gb) or time limit (25 mins)
and warning about temperature again -


I don't shoot movies - so please correct if wrong.

However the practical way is to use the K-x the way you intend to - and figure out the most demanding - eg: if you intend to shoot continuous then try the K-x out to see if it conforms to spec for the number of shots in a sequence and time it to figure out if it is shooting at the rate in the specs (although that probably is more dependent on the buffer size and not really the SD card...) etc.
thank you vincent.. appreciate your help.

i was trying out the continuous shots... initially the cam was snapping quickly... but later on it started to slow down... is this normal?
08-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #68
Junior Member
Xlusionist's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
did a search on google, i read that it is because the buffer is full and the shooting rate will slow down; if the card is fast enough it will have no impact otherwise it will.

i'm confused whether my card is working smoothly for continuous shots, as some people said at least class 6 but a few others with class 4 have no issues.
attempted two times of continuous shots, the first one had some frames missing after a number of shots which are in sequence, the second seems to be in sequence.

i only managed to take a minute plus of video, wanted to take longer but my area is too hot now (did outdoor shots where cars are moving). settings used were 16:9 and 3 stars but the video quality turns out to be quite noisy/grainy. where does the problem lies?


Last edited by Xlusionist; 08-09-2010 at 03:23 AM.
08-09-2010, 06:22 AM   #69
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 211
Look closer. The K-x specs indicate you can take up to 4.7 shots/second in burst mode, I think up to 25 shots. I saw somewhere (I think, maybe Imaging-Resource.com's review) that it was more like 17 shots, and that site definitely said they measured 4.3 shots/second. So, no matter how fast your card, the burst mode is limited in the number of shots it can take at the 4+/second rate.

I was unaware of the issues with heat when taking HD video using my new PQI 8GB "class 10" SDHC. A week or so ago I was out on the street and I around 9 videos, the longest of which was 3:36. I experienced no issues with it stopping the shooting. I stopped it myself, AFAIK. There were issues with audio synch-up with the video, and I had a similar issue with my Kingston 2GB SD card shooting short videos, less than a minute, shot indoors in typical in-door conditions. In both cases when viewing with VLC I was told that the files were broken and I was asked if I wanted to repair them. I believe it was indicated that the problem was a broken index and the program corrected the index and then the synch problems disappeared. I don't know if this is a problem with the cards.

Last edited by Muse; 08-09-2010 at 06:28 AM.
08-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #70
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
did a search on google, i read that it is because the buffer is full and the shooting rate will slow down; if the card is fast enough it will have no impact otherwise it will.
The continuous shooting rate is dependent on the buffer size of the K-x and that is what the rate is spec'd at -
once the buffer is full - the camera will slow down -
I am not too sure if any card is fast enough to write to and clear the buffer so that the Hi rate can remain unaffected.

All this is in the manual(!)

Specs page 300:


Details page 136:



QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
i'm confused whether my card is working smoothly for continuous shots, as some people said at least class 6 but a few others with class 4 have no issues.
attempted two times of continuous shots, the first one had some frames missing after a number of shots which are in sequence, the second seems to be in sequence.

i only managed to take a minute plus of video, wanted to take longer but my area is too hot now (did outdoor shots where cars are moving). settings used were 16:9 and 3 stars but the video quality turns out to be quite noisy/grainy. where does the problem lies?
I think a card that is too slow for the video would stop within one minute - so even a minute's worth of movies shows that it is probably OK - to be sure go to a cooler (air conditioned?) place leave the K-x there for at least one hour for it to cool down - then try the Movie mode again - and see if you can can get at least a couple of minutes - if so, the SD card is fine.

Noisy Movies - have you tried another card? is it the same?
High temperatures may affect the results -
try shooting movies in cooler conditions with good lighting -
eg: air conditioned room and shoot out of the window at a daylight scene? - then see if the movies are still noisy?
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #71
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 211
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
High temperatures may affect the results -
try shooting movies in cooler conditions with good lighting -
eg: air conditioned room and shoot out of the window at a daylight scene?
It's been so cool here I haven't run into that issue. It's the coldest summer I've ever experienced here in the SF Bay Area. The ghost of Mark Twain has been resurrected in its honor!
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #72
Junior Member
Xlusionist's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
Thanks vincent and muse.

I will do more experiment and continue to read the manual, now on page 112 (bought k-x 2 day ago).

Initially i wanted to get class 10 but the shop had only class 4. I was too eager to use the k-x so i bought it and hope my money wasn't wasted. The amount i spent on class 4 could have gotten myself a class 6 easily.

Thanks for answering my queries. Have a nice day guys.
08-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #73
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Xlusionist Quote
I will do more experiment and continue to read the manual, now on page 112 (bought k-x 2 day ago).
The amount i spent on class 4 could have gotten myself a class 6 easily.
You don't actually have to read the entire manual cover to cover-
it's there for looking up whatever it is one needs to know -
For the answers I gave I just looked up the information (and used the pdf version to crop the relevant parts)...
I am sure lots of others just do that and solve their own problems/questions.

So why didn't you buy a class 6 card if they were at the same or lower priced than the class 4 you actually bought? Then there probably be no doubt that it would work fine with the K-x?
08-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #74
Senior Member
Internetpilot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Thanks for that useful link.

However, not to be disagreeable -
but most experienced Pentax dSLR users here recommend formatting any SD/SDHC in the camera.

I only format in camera, and all the time, and have not had any problems -
but I do realize I am only a sample of one.
Previously, I would agree with you -- I used to think it's always better to format the card in the device that you intend to use it. But now that the SD memory format is the dominate memory card in most electronics, I tend to swap memory cards around or at least borrow them for another device when I need to, etc. A MicroSD card that's been formatted in my Palm phone may work perfectly in my Palm phone, but move it to my Pentax KX (using a full-sized SD adapter) and it may not like what the Palm formatting utility did. I can't format it in the camera without losing on the Palm data on the card.

Given that Panasonic (along with Toshiba and SanDisk) invented the SD card, it's a pretty safe bet that whatever utility they put out for formatting SD cards or correcting problems with them will be reliable across all devices (unless those devices are not adhering to the SD standards).

It would be different if I was recommending using Bud's Freeware Memory Formatter and AntiVirus. It's a Panasonic utility. I'd like to think they know more about what they're doing with SD memory -- even more than "most experienced Pentax DSLR users here".
08-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #75
Junior Member
Xlusionist's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote

So why didn't you buy a class 6 card if they were at the same or lower priced than the class 4 you actually bought? Then there probably be no doubt that it would work fine with the K-x?
Initially, i wanted to get class 10 from another shop in the same mall, so after buying the cam i went to search for it but found out that the shop had shifted out recently.

I was already late for an appointment so no time to search for class 6 or 10. From my price research, the price of class 6 is almost the same as class 4 iirc, but this price offered is not located in the mall.

I went back to the shop which i bought the cam from and the assistant told me they only have class 4 which will work for pentax k-x.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, devices, dslr, k-x, pentax, photography, sd, sdhc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Kx - SDHC Card srini Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 03-18-2010 09:48 PM
For Sale - Sold: 8GB Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s 200x SDHC, Pentax SF-10, Pentax Switch F jhaji Sold Items 9 09-15-2009 10:42 PM
SD/SDHC card tests for Pentax cameras ManuH Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 1 05-08-2009 07:37 PM
SD or SDHC? ron305 Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 05-27-2008 05:48 PM
sd or sdhc jmdeegan Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 01-09-2008 08:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top