Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
I tend to swap memory cards around or at least borrow them for another device when I need to, etc.

Given that Panasonic (along with Toshiba and SanDisk) invented the SD card, it's a pretty safe bet that whatever utility they put out for formatting SD cards or correcting problems with them will be reliable across all devices (unless those devices are not adhering to the SD standards).
That's fine....

I have certain SD(HC) cards dedicated to my Pentax dSLR -
so I format them in the Pentax -
I don't usually have the need to swap them around with other devices.

If I did swap them around different devices then perhaps I would use a Panasonic formatter - or even my PC's formatting -

But while they are dedicated to my Pentax dSLR - I format them in the Pentax dSLR
- can you really see a real disadvantage to doing that?

To be fair and to give your recommendation more weight and credence -
the SD Formatter version 3.0 beta actually links to
the SD Association's download page.
From there I found
the non-Beta version 2 download page at the SD Association.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 08-10-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: SD Association
08-10-2010, 05:31 AM   #77

Formatting in the Pentax camera is the safest way to go. It makes sure that the format is 100% compatible.

The Panasonic formatter is a great piece of software for formatting and checking cards on the computer, but I would still do a format in the camera before use.

Strictly speaking because it's a fairly simple FAT32 format it should be the same no matter where it was formatted. At least formatting in camera puts your mind at rest knowing that it works OK for millions of other Pentax users.
08-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Has anyone compared a class 10 to a 6 or anything less than a 10? I have a Patriot 8g class 6 and I don't know if just its me but it seems really slow at transferring from card to computer. Can anyone say that the class 10 is much faster?
I don't have time to read this thread through, but I can say that a class 10 makes a difference with a K-x. With the C10 I can mash the shutter and get 40+ shots (on JPEG) without any slowdown. With a C6 I get about half that. While that doesn't serve any practical purpose other than causing an early demise to the shutter, it does demonstrate a clear speed difference.
08-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #79
Inactive Account

At present, I am using Patriot Class 10 16GB and 32 GB cards with my Kx with no problems. Other cards I have tried that worked well with the Kx: A-Data Class 6 16GB, Kingston Class 6 8GB, Transcand Class 6 8GB and Sandisk Extreme III 4 GB. I use CrystalDiskMark to test the speed of SDHC cards and H2testw to verify that the SDHC cards I got are not fakes. The Patriot Class 10 cards I have tested to be faster.

08-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #80
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkamieneski Quote
Just purchased a Pentax K-x and I do not have a SDHC card yet. When I do, is it required to format it in the camera as the K-x instructions indicate, or will it work for storage as soon as it is inserted? I am getting a Kingston class 4, 8Gb SDHC. With other devices such as phones and computer devices, I have been able to just pop these cards, SD and MicroSD into the devices for use.
While waiting for this card I have another 1Gb SD card that I use in another device. Can I test the camera with this card, without formatting it and without removing the few files that are currently on it? It is probably 90% free right now.
If your shots will not have much value to you or anyone else, you can do whatever you want. A card right out of the package will likely work great. A card used in another device, maybe not. You can try, though you should be prepared for data loss on it, and the other device may possibly need to reformat it to be able to use it again. Pentax recommends formatting for a reason, to make sure that the camera has the card set up the way it needs it to be to minimize read/write problems with their OS. People tend to resent it when cards go unreadable. Pentax tells you how to minimize risk and you can do that, or take your chances. Nobody's standing over you with a stick!