Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
alphalt

Blowing dust. Will I get more dust inside ?

Hello,

I'm sorry for creating new thread and this topic was discussed lots of time, but now I want to look at it from other perspective. Now I have some dust on sensor and I have Pentax O-ICK1 and Giottos Rocket Blower. I get dust very frequently (all time when use tele lenses) so I think its not very good to touch sensor every two weeks. Now I'm considering to use Giottos, but I'm concerned about the new dust. Somehow I think that I will blow more dust inside than blow out from sensor. Am I wrong ? Maybe you have some special technique of blowing out dust with Giottos ? Please share it with me and maybe with other members

05-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a rocket blower, and it does a pretty good job at keeping the dust down so I don't have to wet-clean the sensor that often. I generally face the camera more or less lens opening down and puff up at a slight angle, theory being that it'll dislodge the dust which will then fall out of the camera. So far it seems to work for me! I predict that you'll get every possible opinion on this...

Julie
05-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
Hello,

I'm sorry for creating new thread and this topic was discussed lots of time, but now I want to look at it from other perspective. Now I have some dust on sensor and I have Pentax O-ICK1 and Giottos Rocket Blower. I get dust very frequently (all time when use tele lenses) so I think its not very good to touch sensor every two weeks. Now I'm considering to use Giottos, but I'm concerned about the new dust. Somehow I think that I will blow more dust inside than blow out from sensor. Am I wrong ? Maybe you have some special technique of blowing out dust with Giottos ? Please share it with me and maybe with other members
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
I have a rocket blower, and it does a pretty good job at keeping the dust down so I don't have to wet-clean the sensor that often. I generally face the camera more or less lens opening down and puff up at a slight angle, theory being that it'll dislodge the dust which will then fall out of the camera. So far it seems to work for me! I predict that you'll get every possible opinion on this...

Julie
^^^^^^^

What Julie said.

Use the sensor shaker first. Followed by the blower. You can buy a brush (some use a soft makeup brush) to dislodge some of the more static dust, using the same method as the blower. Then use the I-OCK1. If none of those work, then it's time for a wet clean (I use the sensor swabs and Eclips2).

There is one here who will swear by Canned air. If you use it, make sure to give a test blast to make sure it doesn't expel any propellant or other moisture before aiming it at your sensor.

Keep your lens mounts clean as well as the rear Caps. Clean out the mirror box once in awhile to help keep migrating dust down.

The last time I did a wet clean was on my first K10d, over 2 years ago. I found that the K20d and the K7 are far less prone to holding on to dust for dear life.

Good luck..

05-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What kind of camera are you using?
My K10D needs regular cleaning while the K-7 self cleaning system is so effective that it has stayed clean up till now.

You say that you need to clean the camera often. Perhaps a lot of dust has assembled inside the body over time.
So new dust particles get on the sensor merely by camera movement, not necessarily by lens changes.
You may try to have it professionally cleaned. In our local camera shop they have a special camera vacuum cleaner, that does not only clean the sensor, also the rest of the inside parts.

For the rest I would like to support JeffJS his reply.

- Bert

05-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Make sure you turn off the camera when changing lenses. This made the biggest difference in "time between cleaning" for me.
05-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
alphalt

Hello,

I'm happy owner of K-x
I always change lenses when camera is turned off and always do it facing camera down. Most dust I have is because of my tele zoom lenses. By changing focal length I move a lot of air inside camera, so that's why I have dust in it. My living environment is not dusty, so it is not the case.
I blew today with Giottos and it worked well. Very well. No need to use O-ICK1 so far. I have never used wet cleaning as well. I have 2-3 spots on my sensor which are seen only when I use colour auto levelling in software to see them, so I only know that I have 2-3 welded dust spots (which maybe came for factory ?), but I never see them in normal life, so I forget about them. All other dust was successfully removed by Giottos today. O-ICK1 do the job even better, but I don't like to touch sensor every time I see dust on it.
05-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
O-ICK1 do the job even better, but I don't like to touch sensor every time I see dust on it.
What you are cleaning is the front filter, not the actual sensor. That filter is made of glass, and you would need to really work at scratching or damaging it.
05-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
alphalt

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
What you are cleaning is the front filter, not the actual sensor. That filter is made of glass, and you would need to really work at scratching or damaging it.
Thats very good to know. Then you feel more self-confident