Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Distortion correction on K-x - am I wrong to not be impressed?

I live by the harbour in Hong Kong, and take far too many photos of our view....

With distortion correction on, tall buildings up to 5 miles away (basically all I can see) at all focal lengths still tilt inwards. It's not as if I'm shooting tall stuff from close up.

Am I dumb/missing something?

05-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you may mis interpret distortion correction.

distortion correction is not for the natural perspective distortion , i.e. tilting of lines when the camera is not at a right angle to the subject.

Distortion correction is for the curving of straight lines, inward at the ends (barrel distortion) or outward at the ends (pincushion distortion)

Additionally it only applies to JPEGs, not RAW

In my opinion, it is a waste of time because this is much easier to correct in a photoeditor,
05-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Also it only works with certain Pentax lenses (but then you would not be able to enable it if your lense was not supported).

I find it quite good. But I don't have the budget for software that corrects it.
05-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Also it only works with certain Pentax lenses (but then you would not be able to enable it if your lense was not supported).

I find it quite good. But I don't have the budget for software that corrects it.
You could try PTLens. Quite cheap, and very good.

05-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

I second that comment: PTLens is very effective and excellent value for money. You can download freely the software to test it before buying it.

PTLens has an impressive database of cameras and lenses. In addition, the developer is friendly and prepared to assist to add a new lens that would not be in the list.
05-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Will play with PTLens.

Lowell, thanks for your kind reply (not saying "learn physics, dumbass!"). You're right, I'm not seeing curvature, just converging. Because I'm shooting from 100 feet up, I expected the buildings to be parallel... But as they are approaching 1,500 feet tall, it's understandable that they will look as they are leaning in.
05-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Might want to look into perspective correction, not distortion correction.

Hugin is free and can do perspective correction pretty easily. It can also do distortion correction IF it has the right parameters for your lens/focal length, which can be difficult except when stitching panos, in which case Hugin can automeasure distortion if you have enough image overlap.
05-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Thanks guys. Will play with PTLens.

Lowell, thanks for your kind reply (not saying "learn physics, dumbass!"). You're right, I'm not seeing curvature, just converging. Because I'm shooting from 100 feet up, I expected the buildings to be parallel... But as they are approaching 1,500 feet tall, it's understandable that they will look as they are leaning in.
re the reply, you asked, I responded.

Usually I don't respond on a first go with what you typed. I save that for people who persist at being one

note that most image editing software does include perspective correction

I use Corel's PSP X3 at present (although I have used in the past Versions 8, X X1 and X2)

they have all contained perspective correction so you can make leaning buildings stand straight.

The program also includes correction for barrel and pincushion distortion, thereby eliminating the need to run this lens correction in the camera. What it does not include is any lateral CA correction, which I believe pentax does also incorporate.

It's your choise, but for me, any corrections I do are in PP not in camera.

05-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys