Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have the K10D so I took a pic of my K-m. There should be a plastic pin somewhere.

05-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I checked my K10D and also did not see it. Definitely not as in the above picture.
05-14-2010, 02:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps the K10D is different?
05-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Did you do as Ira suggested ? Oh and just for giggles press the Fn (function)button and make sure your in Flash On mode.The pin they are speaking of is not easily visible without dissassembly of the pop up. I just went and got my k10 out as I seldom use the pop up flash except when using it as the controller in wireless mode for my shoe mount Pentax flashes. If it appears that the hot show has been used (i.e. tracks evident in flash shoe from mount and dismount of a flash) I would suspect that the circuit has been damaged by using an older flash with a high trigger voltage. In low light situations at low shutter speeds say below 1/30th does the flash symbol ( lightning bolt) flash in the viewfinder? If so and the flash is up it should fire. If you search posts there are several regarding repair and common problems with the pop-up flash. You might also mount a pentax flash on the shoe and confirm that the flash cirsuit is indeed operational. This would at least show if it is just the pop-up flash or the trigger circuit. Best of Luck!

05-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 71Matador250 Quote
Did you do as Ira suggested?
I wanted to ask but didn't want to seem pushy.

This is one of the problems you have to take one step at a time.
05-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Perhaps the K10D is different?
No obvious pin on mine either. Just the metal hook for the flash unit, possibly the hook does both tasks?
05-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 71Matador250 Quote
Did you do as Ira suggested ? Oh and just for giggles press the Fn (function)button and make sure your in Flash On mode.The pin they are speaking of is not easily visible without dissassembly of the pop up. I just went and got my k10 out as I seldom use the pop up flash except when using it as the controller in wireless mode for my shoe mount Pentax flashes. If it appears that the hot show has been used (i.e. tracks evident in flash shoe from mount and dismount of a flash) I would suspect that the circuit has been damaged by using an older flash with a high trigger voltage. In low light situations at low shutter speeds say below 1/30th does the flash symbol ( lightning bolt) flash in the viewfinder? If so and the flash is up it should fire. If you search posts there are several regarding repair and common problems with the pop-up flash. You might also mount a pentax flash on the shoe and confirm that the flash cirsuit is indeed operational. This would at least show if it is just the pop-up flash or the trigger circuit. Best of Luck!
Yes thanks, I had done what Ira had suggested before starting this thread, as well as searched the forums thoroughly. I mainly found people posting about their camera not working due to the blown flash bulb. I also had already switched the custom flash setting disabling the shutter on and off when flash is charging and the camera still took pictures in both modes. Before posting here I had also taken the flash apart to ensure all the wires were properly connected and they were. I had also tested a few other flashes on the hot shoe and all worked perfectly. The flash is set to on in the Fn menu. I use this forum as a last result when I am stumped.

When the shutter speed is slow (say below 1/30) the flash symbol blinks in the viewfinder. Raising the pop up flash doesn't change the shutter speed and the lighting bolt continues blinking. The camera seems to not even recognize when the flash is raised. As mentioned before there is no pin, even with the flash taken apart.

05-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Yes thanks, I had done what Ira had suggested before starting this thread, as well as searched the forums thoroughly. I mainly found people posting about their camera not working due to the blown flash bulb. I also had already switched the custom flash setting disabling the shutter on and off when flash is charging and the camera still took pictures in both modes. Before posting here I had also taken the flash apart to ensure all the wires were properly connected and they were. I had also tested a few other flashes on the hot shoe and all worked perfectly. The flash is set to on in the Fn menu. I use this forum as a last result when I am stumped.

When the shutter speed is slow (say below 1/30) the flash symbol blinks in the viewfinder. Raising the pop up flash doesn't change the shutter speed and the lighting bolt continues blinking. The camera seems to not even recognize when the flash is raised. As mentioned before there is no pin, even with the flash taken apart.
This may be silly, but try, when the flash is up, pulling the latch forward. It might simply be that the latch is sticking. By latch, I am referring to the hook that moves when you press the flash up release button on the side of the prism.
05-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
This may be silly, but try, when the flash is up, pulling the latch forward. It might simply be that the latch is sticking. By latch, I am referring to the hook that moves when you press the flash up release button on the side of the prism.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried shooting a bunch of pictures while moving the latch in various positions. I also watched the LCD screen to see if the shutter speed changed (in Av mode) at all while moving the latch around. No such luck. The flash still hasn't fired and the camera still doesn't recognize when the flash is raised.