Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter

I'm with deadwolfbones and nulla.

I have a K-7 that I control the ISO explicitly depending on my gut.

I have a K-x that I put on AV and auto-ISO, and it works great. I usually think it is choosing too high of an ISO value. But it does a pretty good job and the sensor is brilliant.

05-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
Tan
Inactive Account

IMO, just take the photo

as long as you happy with it, it doesn't matter what ISO that you use.

:-)
05-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to agree

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I have it set to 100-6400 on AV mode and it really works wonders for me, haven't taken a single bad photo yet or one with too much noise. I love this camera!
Nice that you can set it all the way up to 12,800, can you believe that other manufactures set a cap on auto ISO?

I love the assumption that a user won't want to use higher ISO's or that they shouldn't.

One of many reasons I love Pentax so much, they let the USER decide as much as possible on so many things.

This is a huge advantage of using Pentax.

Carl
05-14-2010, 12:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Flash or no flash?
no flash used on K-x so far

05-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #20
Forum Member

How Auto ISO helps me

How does it help you?
Well, for one thing, I don't have to push-process like I often did with my K10D's ISO1600 limit. That saves me considerable PP time.

Also, images are much noisier shooting ISO 1600 on the K10D at -1 EV or -2 EV and push processing up +1 or +2 in PP to compensate. If I need ISO 3200, or 6400, or higher, I just use that.

It also often helps me get the shot. When I set the ISO myself, sometimes it's enough, sometimes it's not. If it's not, i have to take the time to chage it, and can sometimes miss a shot.

With Auto ISO, I can set Tv mode at 1/400, and if the exposure is such that the widest f/stop isn't enough to expose the scene properly at ISO 800, the camera pushes up the ISO to whatever is needed, without me having to stop, bump up the ISO, and try to get the sot (which by that time may have already passed my by).

Last, and I haven't been able to test this in a controlled setting, but it is an observation I've made: When using the 55-300 lens in Av mode, the camera appears to take the FL into consideration, and increases the shutter speed and ISO if needed. For example, if I'm set to f/5.6 at a FL of 70mm, the camera will meter and set the shutter speed accordingly. But if the shutter speed drops below, say, 1/40, the camera bumps up the ISO to keep the shutter speed at 1/6 or faster.

Likewise, if I'm with the same lens at FL 300mm, the camera bumps up the ISO as necessary to keep the shutter speed at 1/125 or higher.

Again, I haven't tested this last thing extensively in a controlled setting; it's more of an observation. I seem to notice that, when the scene gets brighter, I seem to get a combination of BOTH and increase in shutter speed, and a drop in ISO. The two factors seems to work in conjunction in Av mode.

In summary: Because the high ISO ion the K-x is so good, I often shoot in Auto ISO, with a top ISO setting if 8000, 10,000, or even 12,800.

I definitely do notice the NR kicking in at these higher ISOs, especially 12,800. But, if it's the difference between a blurry sot because the shutter speed was too slow, or a shot with some NR softness, I'll take the latter.

Greg
05-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you, Ira, that if you are taking well thought out shots, you should be thinking about everyone of your settings -- iso, aperture, and shutter speed. I also agree that any camera suffers (at least a little bit) both in dynamic range and noise as you go up in iso. However, when I am taking snap shots of my kids, auto iso is terribly useful, as it is awfully easy to have shutter speeds drop into the blur zone, even with aperture wide open.
05-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't use auto iso myself but the k-x is just amazing up to iso 3200, I never expected such a good performer
I actually think the Sv mode (or what's it's name...) can be great for situations of constantly changing lighting as I often encounter in stage performances but I never really did use it. it's hard to make new habits I guess, but I'm trying...

05-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Auto ISO should be banned.
How so? Because you don't use it? Then things could easily turn a little restricted, don't you think, if THAT is the criteria?

I personally don't use auto ISO, but the way Pentax implemented it is fantastic. Letting you choose the boundaries makes so much sense. If it makes people enjoy their photography more, why whine about it?

While we're at it, should AF be banned? Or zooms?
05-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Rather have auto ISO than Auto flash

I almost never use the flash, because flash = boring pictures. Unless you take time to set flashes up. Natural lightning wins every time.

So if im indoor i just set it to auto 100-6400 and shoots away.
And it can be very very helpfull when you lend your camera to a noob. Just tell him to press the trigger.
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Rather have auto ISO than Auto flash

I almost never use the flash, because flash = boring pictures. Unless you take time to set flashes up. Natural lightning wins every time.
I couldn't agree more. It was trying to dispense with flash that brought me to a DSLR. Which brought me to the K-x.

I love Pentax's ISO controls. So easy to use. I admit to changing my settings quite a bit (when securely set on a surface I like to go to ISO800 or less), but when needed having a (cleaner than before) high auto ISO is great.
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
How so? Because you don't use it? Then things could easily turn a little restricted, don't you think, if THAT is the criteria?

I personally don't use auto ISO, but the way Pentax implemented it is fantastic. Letting you choose the boundaries makes so much sense. If it makes people enjoy their photography more, why whine about it?

While we're at it, should AF be banned? Or zooms?
Moderators, I am not going to respond to this, because properly doing so would result in an infraction.
05-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #27
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ira Quote
moderators, i am not going to respond to this, because properly doing so would result in an infraction.
We understand completely, Ira.
05-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
We understand completely, Ira.
I'm trying. BELIEVE me, I'm trying.

I have a very misunderstood sense of humor.
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm trying. BELIEVE me, I'm trying.

I have a very misunderstood sense of humor.
If it was humor, then indeed I misunderstood strongly. If it wasn't, my comment stands.
05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I usually do street photography and have a lots of things to be taken care - Auto ISO simply works great and have one less thing to take care of.

I can really appreciate how useful it is since I was not able to use it at its full potential in k100d due to a nasty bug (fixes ISO to 200 whenever exposure compensation is applied).

Last edited by yusuf; 05-20-2010 at 06:52 AM.