Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I love the auto ISO on my K-x

I have it set to 100-6400 on AV mode and it really works wonders for me, haven't taken a single bad photo yet or one with too much noise. I love this camera!

05-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I have it set to 100-6400 on AV mode and it really works wonders for me, haven't taken a single bad photo yet or one with too much noise. I love this camera!
You are obviously a much better photographer than me! Actually, seriously that probably is true. I'm happy if I get a few good photos from an outing.

That said, I also use auto ISO although 100 - 800 (or sometimes 100 - 400). Probably because I pixel peep way too much and find the noise in darker areas of the image too annoying from 800.
05-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Curiously, which Capture mode do you use, and any EV compensation needed ?
05-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Auto ISO should be banned.

05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Forum Member

In my opinion, when taking pictures just for the webs, ISO is the only way of grabbing more light without changing the way the picture looks. i also have it on -6400.

Btw, if you ever come across a "Semipro" bitching about how cool his 7D is, just say AutoISO and they'll shush, cause they dont got it(at least not in a usable form).

Why should AutoISO be banned? I think ISO shouldnt be the photographers concern since it doesnt have a huge effect on your picture like a closed or opened aperture or fast or slow shutter speeds.
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LinXitoW Quote
In my opinion, when taking pictures just for the webs, ISO is the only way of grabbing more light without changing the way the picture looks. i also have it on -6400.

Btw, if you ever come across a "Semipro" bitching about how cool his 7D is, just say AutoISO and they'll shush, cause they dont got it(at least not in a usable form).

Why should AutoISO be banned? I think ISO shouldnt be the photographers concern since it doesnt have a huge effect on your picture like a closed or opened aperture or fast or slow shutter speeds.
I disagree that ISO doesn't change the way the picture looks, it really can make a large difference. Think about noise and differences in colour and DR.
Or - try using film at different ISO ratings and look at the difference!

I could argue that changing the ISO by one stop would have more of a subjective effect on the photo than changing the aperture by one stop, depending on the FL, distance and other factors of course. ISO is part of exposure as much as shutter speed or aperture, so how can it not be the concern of the photographer?

Maybe you guys have been too spoilt by the clean high-ISO images of the K-x!

Anyway, I have nothing against Auto-ISO, it can be really convenient in some situations. It's good to hear that jct us101 is finding it very useful.
I'm all for manual control, but I don't know why you would want to ban it, Ira.
05-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I think comments like that should be banned. Why would you want to ban Auto ISO If people want to have full control it's no dilemma to turn it off but there are clearly people that do not want to worry about controlling ISO.

When I have time to set up a shot properly I use M mode but generally I let my K-x sit in P mode with Auto ISO in case I come across something that I want to be able to shoot immediately.

05-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Auto ISO is great but not so smart when using flash

at least in my experience w/ the kx, it seems to try to use as high ISO as possible when using the on-board flash

i've taken some pictures and while they turned out okay, the Kx picked ISO 3200 when the flash was used.
05-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

I just think that ISO has such a large impact on your final image that you should only go high when you have to.

An automatic mode is still an automatic mode with manual ISO, but that's a variable I really want to select for myself. I just see it as a redundant feature.

If I'm at early dusk, I know I want to be at say 400. I don't want 800. And in bright day, I'm at 100--period.
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I'm all for manual control, but I don't know why you would want to ban it, Ira.
Well, since I unfortunately don't have the power to do it, it was kind of a moot comment anyway!
05-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Having used auto-ISO on the K-x and now on my D700, I can say that with the right sensor it's really a blessing. On the D700 I just set it to max range and forget about it. If it's ever using ISO 12800, it almost certainly needs it, and even then the results are usable with the right PP. Rockin'.

On the K-7, on the other hand, I shoot strictly ISO 200 unless otherwise needed. The sensor just doesn't perform well enough to use auto-ISO.
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

I use Auto ISO nearly all the time

I love auto ISO.
Never used it before the K-x.
Now I used nearly all the time.
I LOVE it!

Greg

Last edited by gkreth; 05-13-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Got the Subject title incorrect
05-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gkreth Quote
I love auto ISO.
Never used it before the K-x.
Now I used nearly all the time.
I LOVE it!

Greg
How does it help you?
05-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

How does it help you?
I have the K-7 and K-x

Never used Auto ISO before the K-x and only use it on the K-x indoors and other low light situations along with AV mode.

K-x has wonderful high ISO performance as we know and it has turned my thinking on this subject around 100%

Cheers

Neil
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I have the K-7 and K-x

Never used Auto ISO before the K-x and only use it on the K-x indoors and other low light situations along with AV mode.

K-x has wonderful high ISO performance as we know and it has turned my thinking on this subject around 100%

Neil
Flash or no flash?