Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Black and White

So...I've had my K10D for about a half a week. Can it only shoot in color? i found the Black and White filter, but is that it?

07-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, only in color. Most DSLRs only shoot in color. The idea is that since you bought a DSLR you must want more control so they assume you will do it in post. I have to admit, in my case they are right. If you have a color photo you can filter it in a photo editor to look like you shot with different color filters, or just have massive control over selective contrast. You can emulate real B&W better in a decent computer app than any built in black and white I have seen. Then again, I have not checked out any of the last generation of cameras to see if that has been improved. Things do change.
07-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

With the K10D, you can apply several digital filters to your photos after you have taken them. Black & white and sepia come to mind.

It is really easy to convert your colour photos into B&W using digital darkroom software. This gives you the most control. Pentax has included an in camera feature that will do that for you however if you so wish. Consider this a nice bonus. It is not something I would use, but to each their own as there is some debate on the benefits of in camera filters as opposed to out of camera filter applications in regards to file saving and JPEG image degradation.

I know this may be slightly off topic, but you may be interested in this tool. I like this one a lot, and of course it is free. It is called Opanda Photofilter 1, a free standalone program that gives you a nice range of Kodak, Cokin, and Hoya filters for your photos. Indispensable, and quite fun to run some photos through the list to see the various effects. It sort of beats having a bag full of filters at times.

Opanda PhotoFilter - Professional photography filter imitation software