Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #16

Original Poster
It's nice to use green mode when using a K or M manual lens when you're in a hurry and don't have time to adjust all the settings. On the K20D, the camera simply works around your manual aperture and greens what it can, and shoots. It's a good way to take a quick photo. On my manual lenses, I always shoot at the widest setting, like f/1.2 - that's why I bought a 1.2.

Yes, on the K-7 the green button works in MANUAL mode, but then GREEN DIAL MODE should work too on the K-7! Oh well.

So there are some things that are nicer about the K20D than the new K-7. But I do find myself using the K-7 more now... because yes, the K-7 does have new features I like, and only a few I don't like.

I've yet to test the IMAGE QUALITY side by side yet.

05-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
K-7: Green dial setting won't work if I select my aperture on the lens. Camera just won't fire! On K20D, the camera would fire fine and auto adjust based on the aperture.
It might fire, but it *definitely* is not adjusting shutter speed based on aperture. As documented in the manual as well as the sticky thread in this forum on how to use manual lenses, in any mode but M the camera completely ignores the aperture ring and simply fires the lens wide open. This quirk is more a bug than a feature, really. When using manual lenses, you need to use M mode unless you want to shoot wide open all the time. If the K-7 doesn't allow that particular quirk that in green mode, it should in P or Av modes.

QuoteQuote:
The K20 would work in any mode, on any setting, on any aperture, with any lens, and the camera would simply auto-adjust and take the picture.
Again, that is simply *not* true. It might takes a picture, but it does *not* auto-adjust. The only mode that works correctly with manual lenses is M mode, and that's true of the K20D, K-7, and every other DSLR Pentax has ever made. if you want the camera to works the way the K20D - which is to say, to ignore the aperture ring completely and always fire wide open - simply use P or Av mode.