Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

HELP! K100D Super with jammed MF lens

Hello out there, I just purchased a K100D Super at the Henry's Digital Imaging show and the first thing I did was pop on my 28mm lens (from my Ricoh gear, make is actually Magnicon), and it wont come off! Something inside is stuck, because it releases but only turns about 5 degrees and stops stiff, really stiff, like wrenching on it does not do anything stiff. If anyone out there knows my pain please post! I'd rather not wait 4-6 weeks for the warranty repair, I just want to use my camera!

05-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do a quick serach for "Ricoh" and "Pin" here on the forums. Your lens more than likely has a pin on it that is stuck in the AF screw drive hole. A few people here have been able to get a lens unstuck so searching out those threads should help.
05-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First put down the camera before you really damage something. Now do a search for Ricoh lens pin sticking either here or around the Internet.
There are some manual focus lenses that have a pin that will catch on digital bodies. Do a search and read dome suggesting and cross your fingers. I wish you good luck.
05-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
yeah its got the pin. Im going to search for that stuff now.

05-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
a 0.20 mm automotive feeler gauge, poked it in behind the pin (behind from the frame of reference in the direction of rotation to remove the lens) and she popped right off.death to the pin!
05-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Certainly better than death to the camera I say.

People get rid of those pins intentionally, so they can use their Ricoh gear safely.
05-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Congrats. I don't think that this would have been a warranty repair so you have saved yourself some money.
05-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I think there is currently a Sears 28mm f2.8 up for sale in the marketplace.

I'm sure many of us are relieved this one worked out as well as it did.

05-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by jimi Quote
Hello out there, I just purchased a K100D Super at the Henry's Digital Imaging show and the first thing I did was pop on my 28mm lens (from my Ricoh gear, make is actually Magnicon), and it wont come off! Something inside is stuck, because it releases but only turns about 5 degrees and stops stiff, really stiff, like wrenching on it does not do anything stiff. If anyone out there knows my pain please post! I'd rather not wait 4-6 weeks for the warranty repair, I just want to use my camera!
I found that an old 35mm negative strip was thin enough to slip into the gap between lens and body and stiff enough to depress the stuck pin. Slipping it into the pin area (near the autofocus switch on my k-m) and working it around until I got it under the pin allowed quick removal of the lens.

The advantage there is that the negative is far softer than the metal on the lens and camera mounts so there is no scratching on either camera or lens.
05-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brycec Quote
I found that an old 35mm negative strip was thin enough to slip into the gap between lens and body and stiff enough to depress the stuck pin. Slipping it into the pin area (near the autofocus switch on my k-m) and working it around until I got it under the pin allowed quick removal of the lens.

The advantage there is that the negative is far softer than the metal on the lens and camera mounts so there is no scratching on either camera or lens.
The trick is to use a thin enough feeler gauge which are actually designed to measure without damaging precision metallic mating surfaces.
05-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimi Quote
a 0.20 mm automotive feeler gauge, poked it in behind the pin (behind from the frame of reference in the direction of rotation to remove the lens) and she popped right off.death to the pin!
I'm glad you found the feeler gauge solution!
05-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Do not forget to remove the Ricoh pinafter your were able to dismount the lens. So next time will not be a problem.
05-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you have a Ricoh gear then you will be busy removing pins..that is still good though coz once that's done, you can use all those lenses on your new Pentax gear.