Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ready to upgrade : K20D or KX ?

I'm ready to upgrade from my first dslr, the K100DS, which I love, to either a K20D or KX. My main reason to change is I'd like a higher MP sensor.

The K20D was my first choice, but the slight size increase as compared to my K100DS makes me hesitant. The WR is also a plus but I'm not sure how much it would matter for me based on my shooting habits.

The KX from what I've read on PF seems equally interesting, more my size body, but the lack of the top LCD turns me off. I've gotten very used to using that feature on my K100DS.

Live view, video features, don't matter to me much. I'm an old school 35mm guy and just like to keep it simple, enjoying photography as a hobby. Although I do feel ready to try new challenges learning more advanced features.

I read PF all the time, and value all the opinions of its participants. Thanks to all for your future input.

05-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

if you are going to catch high ISO and new sensor ,K-X is the right one for you,
but take a look little bit with K20D, if you say that , you are old school...
that kind of "feelling" semi Profesional Camera will stay in K20D and in compare of KX , it will be a lot of difference, its not a toy in your hand , with 2 Jog dial and UP colour LCD ,,,,
the conclusion is all up to you ...
05-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I have a K100D. I recently had an opportunity to handle the kx. If megapixels is your main requirement, then I suppose the kx is an upgrade, and I guess there are other things that some would say represent an upgrade, but to me, the kx did not feel like an upgrade.

Among other things, it felt too small, too light, and not as solidly built as the k100d. The lack of a red focus indicator didn't bother me, but no top lcd did. Like you, live view and video is of no importance to me.

I may well be the only person in the world who doesn't think the kx is an upgrade over the k100d, but fwiw that's my opinion.
05-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What lenses do you have and want to get. If you are getting big lenses, then a big body is a minor point. Want a battery grip? One choice, then.

05-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Well, a K100d was my only camera for 30 months and after 34,000 + shots I decided to upgrade to a K20d last December. I tried a Kx for 2 days prior to making the K20d purchase and my experience then and now completly echoes the post by MPrince.
I am `old school` having owned a camera since I was 11 years old ( over 50 years ago) and the K20d so far meets all my photo requirements, even using ISO up to 1000 is fine.
05-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You won't miss the top LCD panel.
The improved menus and back-panel of the K-x are great.
05-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
if you are going to catch high ISO and new sensor ,K-X is the right one for you,
but take a look little bit with K20D, if you say that , you are old school...
that kind of "feelling" semi Profesional Camera will stay in K20D and in compare of KX , it will be a lot of difference, its not a toy in your hand , with 2 Jog dial and UP colour LCD ,,,,
the conclusion is all up to you ...
What's old school got to do with it?
05-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're more into manual/advanced controls and less into gimmicks, then go with the K20D. The K-x nice, but it's an entry level camera and really cuts a lot of corners in terms of buttons and controls. Not only does it lack the top LCD, as you said, but it also doesn't have the two scroll wheels or the multitude of external buttons that the K20D has. The advantage of the K-x is low-light performance, so your choice should depend on who much you'd be using that compared to the controls.

If the decision takes too long to make, I'm sure Pentax will be providing us with something new and exciting in the coming months

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
The KX from what I've read on PF seems equally interesting, more my size body, but the lack of the top LCD turns me off. I've gotten very used to using that feature on my K100DS.
What about buffer?

My wife owns a Kx and I use it(almost exclusively) for indoor shooting with our Pentax lenses, though the tiny buffer comes as a real limitations for someone like me. Its a problem that keeps coming up too. ie. Yesterday, I was out shooting sea birds and decided to take the Kx along, which was good because I was at ISO6400 almost the entire time. However... I kept having to wait for the buffer to empty which was really frustrating because I was missing my shots and so I threw the Kx off the cliff where I was standing, grabbed my K20D and couldn't be happier!

PS. When I say throw off a cliff, I really mean putting it back in my bag