Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-x overexposure?

I just received my new K-x this week and am getting a bit of overexposure in auto exposure modes, particularly outdoors. I'm experiencing this with the kit lens, and my 70-300 tamron, shooting RAW. Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions?

-Kevin

05-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tyhe obvious things to check is to see if you have exposure compensation dialed in, or if you are in spot metering mode. If that's not it, then you should post an image (with EXIF intact) that demonstrates the problem.
05-16-2010, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, K-x tends to overexpose at default settings. In good daylight I use it with -0.7 or -1 'reference' exposure compensation, depending on the lens. (The 16-45's output is a bit brighter then that of the kit lens, so it goes well with -1 rather than -0.7.) My compensation options may be a bit exaggerated, but I prefer to be conservative about highlights and I shoot raw, anyway. On the other hand, I find myself changing the exp. compensation pretty often, depending on the situation.

Last edited by causey; 05-16-2010 at 12:38 PM.
05-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #4

This k-x has metering that is spot-on

I have noticed quite a few postings claiming that the k-x metering is balanced to overexposure. After playing around with exposure settings for the past few weeks (I bought the cam 1 month ago) to see how it performs, I have come to the conclusion that my meter is both accurate and predictable--not overexposing at all--at least to my taste.

Today I took some test shots, posted below to demonstrate (these are NOT what I would call keepers!). The day was overcast, giving an even lighting. Most shots were taken in P mode (a couple in Av), matrix metering, metering linked to focus point, using the kit 18-55 lens (tried to keep around 35mm focal length as extremes tend to be softer). These pix have no compensation, just shot with Program Line metering. No post-processing on any of these.

For me, the trick to know when to use metered exposure and when to use compensation has been to try to evaluate the scene before me in terms of tone averages...is there a good balance of light and dark in the scene? Or if certain substances like grass or brick or asphalt fill the frame, you get to know with experience they tend to yield pretty average/flat metering results. Although beware--different types of grass or brick, etc, will yield somewhat different results. So not an exact science by any means...

PLEASE BE AWARE THESE SHOTS LOOK EVER SO SLIGHTLY LIGHTER (OR PERHAPS A BIT LESS CONTRAST) HERE AS ATTACHMENTS THAN THEY DO WHEN VIEWED IN MY PHOTO EDITORS.

Last edited by lectrolink; 03-08-2017 at 01:38 AM.
05-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have not found my K-x to overexpose, neither in RAW nor JPEG.
Here's a couple of images on my dogs, taken recently with K-x and DA 35.
Camera set to full automatics, pet mode. (just a test from me to see how the pet mode works ).

It may be your RAW software that does some processing to the files when opening them, so they look overeposed to you.

My experience with the K-x is that the exposure is very well balanced.
Pentax DSLR's in the past has often got criticised for underexposure in bright situations, now the K-x may handle bright situations better.
05-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #6

When I know I need to use + compensation...

My previous post showed my k-x using no compensation...just the Program Line metering. The following pics shoe test shot examples of when I knew I needed to add some positive (+) compensation.

First photo is without compensation; second shot of same scene (zoomed in) includes much more light-colored wall, so I cranked it up to +1.3 compensation for an equivalent exposure.
Third shot has quite a bit of light stucco and sky, so I added +.7 compensation. Fourth shot shows a light colored tree bark, which called for more compensation-- +1.3
Last shot had a fair balance of dark and light, but more light coloring overall, so I used only +.3 compensation.
Again, my general settings (using kit 18-55 lens) were P mode, matrix metering, exposure linked to focus. No PP used at all.
I don't know whether there is sample to sample variation of metering with the k-x. But I can say that mine seems to really be metering just great and very predictable.

Last edited by lectrolink; 08-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.