Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
pentax k-m +52mm reversing ring

has anyone had a go with the k-m and a reversing ring?.....or reversing ring with any camera?
just curious how people get on with them!
thanks.
adrian

05-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean a K mount-reversing ring, or a male-male filter reversing ring?

I've used both, and they both work.

What you need to keep in mind is that whatever lens is reversed should be an older lens, like an A or earlier. The reason is that you want the aperture to remain open. Modern lenses keep the aperture closed by default, and you would either need to rig it open, or hold it open with your finger.

Depth of Focus is very small using a reversed lens and a tripod is just about required for steady shots.
05-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Do you mean a K mount-reversing ring, or a male-male filter reversing ring?

I've used both, and they both work.

What you need to keep in mind is that whatever lens is reversed should be an older lens, like an A or earlier. The reason is that you want the aperture to remain open. Modern lenses keep the aperture closed by default, and you would either need to rig it open, or hold it open with your finger.

Depth of Focus is very small using a reversed lens and a tripod is just about required for steady shots.
I've used my 18-55 lens with a reversing ring. Yeah you have to hold that tab to open the aperature to about where-ish you want it and it takes some coordination. But it IS doable.
05-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just for fun I purchased a 49-49mm filter reversing ring and use it to attach my M 50/2 lens reversed to my A 100/4 Macro lens. This way I get ~3:1 magnification. DOF is extremely shallow (even at f32) and makes focusing very hard. I use remote controller with 3sec MLU because even touching the shutter button generates visible shake.

This is my wife's cactus shot with 100/4 Macro lens only at 1:2 magnification:

The same shot with 100/4 Macro + reversed 50/2 at ~3:1 magnification:

Another leaf with same combo at ~3:1, the pink buds are only 1mm in size

(yes, I know the sensor is dirty...)

It's fun if you have enough time to play with it. Too bad the K-m doesn't have liveview... liveview and a ~900k dots LCD would make focusing much easier.

06-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
ok, ive had a go...using a reversing ring.yep rigged it open with a bent paperclip to hold the ap open!
lighting is something im going to have to work on,maybe make some sort of lightbox!
the balance between unfocused/focused/unfocused is realy tight .
i actually made an extention piece so i could get further from the tripod and give me a bit more working space but it created a bit of un -needed movement,even stepping on the floorboards by the tripod moved things a bit.
lots to learn here!! but the idea is a good one,so far pics not too good but in time and a lot of patience
thanks all for the help and info...if i get any good pics i might put a few here!!
cheers ade
06-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Reversing an older 50mm M lens works pretty well. The double lens method (noted in prior posts) looks impressive.

I'd cheat and use a flash as the light source. keep shake blur down to a minimum. Does take a bit of playing to get the flash at the right distance from the subject for proper exposure. The background goes dark.

The pentax wireless flash (360, or Metz 48) works great, especially with wireless remote trigger.

Last edited by kelvybear; 06-01-2010 at 11:22 PM.