Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #16

Original Poster
Thank you all for an interesting discussion and the link to Peter's Thread. I have now tried everything I can think of and nothing works. Strange about the rapidly pulsating top display, which Peter did not experience.

So it's back to CRIS in October for a fix, which will probably cost me about half a K-x. Problem is, I really like the size and handling of the K-20 - even better than the K-7, which I also like.

Btw, for further information, I should disclose that this same camera has been to CRIS once before for a totally different and even stranger problem, which I posted on dpreview here (I was following but not posting on pentaxforums at that time): Need help. What's this? Chipped sensor? Dead pixels?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I wonder if the CRIS people made some kind of mistake when reassembling the camera after replacing the sensor. I'm not suggesting it; just wondering to myself.

Anyway, unlike Peter, I am finding this thing rather tiresome, as the K20 is my favourite camera and the DA17-70 + DA*50-135 is my favourite zoom combination.

Mostly, I tend to use primes, however, and the K20d is still good for those ... and then there is always my K-7 and K10d at a pinch.

05-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonska Quote
Thank you all for an interesting discussion and the link to Peter's Thread. I have now tried everything I can think of and nothing works. Strange about the rapidly pulsating top display, which Peter did not experience.

So it's back to CRIS in October for a fix, which will probably cost me about half a K-x. Problem is, I really like the size and handling of the K-20 - even better than the K-7, which I also like.

Btw, for further information, I should disclose that this same camera has been to CRIS once before for a totally different and even stranger problem, which I posted on dpreview here (I was following but not posting on pentaxforums at that time): Need help. What's this? Chipped sensor? Dead pixels?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I wonder if the CRIS people made some kind of mistake when reassembling the camera after replacing the sensor. I'm not suggesting it; just wondering to myself.

Anyway, unlike Peter, I am finding this thing rather tiresome, as the K20 is my favourite camera and the DA17-70 + DA*50-135 is my favourite zoom combination.

Mostly, I tend to use primes, however, and the K20d is still good for those ... and then there is always my K-7 and K10d at a pinch.
Even with your other cameras at hand, this is a frustrating experience. Hope, CRIS can cure the camera for once and all.

Ben
05-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Unless communication between devices is done with magic smoke, the pins must certainly cary some current. Not sure how else this stuff would work. Somehow I question the magic smoke idea.
OK sure, to be a bit more precise, the camera supplies the voltage on the pins when metering is active. Metering is not active as soon as the A connection is broken. The pins carry no voltage as the lens as removed.

Thank you
Russell
06-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday i had a similair problem with my 3 months old K7. Just went to the shop to pick up my new da*300mm. Put it on the camera and SDM didn't work. a lot of fluttering went on between AF/MF and i couldn't get in the menu. Only manuel focus was possible. The moment i put the lens on MF the fluttering stopped.

The lens was okay, the shop put it on various k7's and k-x's and it worked perfectly.

It was to be my first sdm lens and i chance lenses with the power off.

11-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to bring this thread back but yesterday, I experienced a failure with my K20/DA*16-50. I believe it is SDM related and clearly the auto focus has stopped functioning. Basically after nearly 2 years of fairly constant use it just stopped focusing. The next part was weird. The MF indicator in the viewfinder was flashing. Ok, so I went to manual focus and that stopped but then when I would look at either the functions on the LCD screen or the menu items, the LCD would stay on for about 1 second then turn off. I first thought it might be the batteries but then I swapped out my battery grips between my K10 & k20 and same result. I put on my DA17-70SDM and things were back to normal on the K20. I've mounted the DA*16-50 on my K10 and had the same behavior. I did try cleaning the contacts. So, it's the lens most likely. Now it's off to CHRIS for repair, I guess.

Is this what others have typically seen on an SDM failures?

Edit: just to be clear, this behavior went away with non SDM lenses.
11-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Had similar problem this summer.
Also had issue where the lens focus ring would turn in only one direction when auto focusing. I'd have to turn the ring fully out of focus in the opposite direction, then AF could catch (if id didn't have to make a second pass).

Have to agree, it sounds like a trip to CRIS is in order.

Last edited by amoringello; 11-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.
12-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I got my lens back yesterday from CHRIS. Took about 3 weeks door to door and about $230. Lens is good and works like new. They said they replaced the SDM power contacts and repaired the AF operation. Not sure if the motors were replaced or whether or not this was 'THE' SDM problem but it's all good again and that's what I wanted.