Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #1

LCD preview in Pentax k100D

Hello all,

I just got my pentax k100D . But after 2 days iam still trying to figure how to see/compose the picture in the LCD before shooting.

In the manual it is said to go the custom setting and then select LCD preview ( this is not needed as it comes by default). I checked it and found to have the default setting which is the LCD preview . Still i dont get the picture in LCD.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Raj

07-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raj07 Quote
Hello all,

I just got my pentax k100D . But after 2 days iam still trying to figure how to see/compose the picture in the LCD before shooting.

In the manual it is said to go the custom setting and then select LCD preview ( this is not needed as it comes by default). I checked it and found to have the default setting which is the LCD preview . Still i dont get the picture in LCD.
Raj,

This is a digital SLR. You don't generally compose the photo in the LCD. You are looking through the viewfinder to compose your shot, which means looking through the lens. So, get used to the viewfinder. On the plus side, the viewfinder gives you a truer and sharper optical representation of the final result, because you're seeing what the lenses actually see, rather than a pixelated/digitized version.

The preview feature in the menu settings that you referred to is useful for composing your shot, checking exposure, etc. But it's not a "live" preview. On the top of the camera, the same little ring that goes around the shutter button and which you use to turn the camera on and off, has a third setting: off -- on -- and preview. Pull it over to preview. The camera will take a temporary shot and display it either in the viewfinder or on the LCD. You can see the histogram, your composition, depth-of-field, white balance, etc. But it won't be saved to the memory card.

I use the preview on my K10D only occasionally. It's just too easy to take an actual photo and see if I like it. If I don't like the composition, I can delete it immediately. If I do like it, then I'm done and I don't have to take the shot again.

Will

PS There is at least one brand of digital SLR -- I think it's Olympus -- that does offer live preview in the LCD. But they have to go to a lot of trouble to give you that feature.

Last edited by WMBP; 07-31-2007 at 09:52 AM.
07-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe you are trying to find something that does not exist. The Pentax does not have what some call "live LCD display" where you can compose a photo on the display. Most DSLRs do not have this feature since the focus mirror blocks the sensor when composing. A few DSLRs get around this barrier. Most point and shoots have this feature, some P & S cameras force you to compose on the display because they do not have a view finder.

You can find several threads on this forum discussing the pros and cons of live displays. My feeling is it should be an option on any modern DSLR, those who don't like it don't need to use it. I often image subjects that do not appear in the viewfinder such as IR and astro. Focusing those subjects is very tedious since I have to snap an image, look, adjust, repeat. The preview mode helps only in that it does not write to the memory card.
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
live preview

Thanks for both replies.

I was thinking that Live LCD preview would be there apart from the viewfinder .
Any ways, good that i put it here rather than wasting more time. I even thought about going to circuit city and test another one there.

Thanks again
Raj