Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #1

K-7 Video CUTS OFF after a few seconds! ANNOYING! Anyone else?

I have a K-7 and love many things.

However the first time I truly used and needed the video function it failed time and time again.

It only worked for about 45 seconds and cut off.

I assume it's because the camera was overheating - which says in the manual will happen if you use the video function - leading to auto-cutoff.

Ummm... what's the point of having video if it overheats the camera and cuts off?

I was filming outside on a regular day.

I guess the only way to use it is MAYBE always shoot inside in air conditioning?

In general the K-7 is supposed to be weather and cold-resistant - but I guess not normal heat resistant?

It makes no sense to add video and design a sensor that EASILY OVERHEATS and cuts itself off.

It makes the video function pointless unless you are in the arctic!

Anyone else?

05-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Or could it be that the memory card is not fast enough?
05-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by xjx Quote
Or could it be that the memory card is not fast enough?

Definitely this. Read the specs, it is pretty clear that it needs at least a class 6 (and an actual, genuine class 6 compliant) card to do video correctly.

Sandisk Extreme III or similar should fix you right up. I got a new patriot iris class 6 card from newegg, and it works a treat.
05-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 possible solutions. First Update your firmware. They addressed this in one of the releases. If that doesn't work, get a better card. I use a Sandisk class 10 30Mb/s 8Gb and can fill it with video in one take.

05-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
I got a 16GB Class 6 Transcend. It records video fine on my other cameras and they do 1080i. Just not the K-7. I will upgrade to a class 10 though. Can you provide quick link for upgrading firmware on a K-7 with an Apple Mac? Thanks!
05-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
xjx
Forum Member

Class 6 should be fast enough. I would suggest upgrade the firmware first. Here is the link: Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
05-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I got a 16GB Class 6 Transcend. It records video fine on my other cameras and they do 1080i. Just not the K-7. I will upgrade to a class 10 though. Can you provide quick link for upgrading firmware on a K-7 with an Apple Mac? Thanks!
You should be aware that most other camera's shoot AVCHD or likewise format, which is much more compressed than the K-7 MJEPG format. Hence you need more capacity and faster access.
If you are going to mix the K-7 video with other sources, make sure your software can handle 2 formats in one project.

My K-7 video shows no problems by the way.

- Bert
05-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I assume it's because the camera was overheating - which says in the manual will happen if you use the video function - leading to auto-cutoff.
This has nothing to do with overheating.

Previous posts pointed rightly to the correct issues: SD card and firmware. The card must be fast enough; in the negative, the video is temporarily stored ion the buffer memory until it is full, and the camera then stops to record. There has been also a firmware update that improves the video operation.

05-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Class 6 should be fast enough.
Not from my experience. And merely stating "Class whatever" doesn't give the whole picture. I would recommend the Sandisk Extreme SD card (Rated Class 10)
- Up to 30 MB/s read speed

Some info from Sandisk site:
Class ratings measure the minimum sustained speed required for recording an even rate of video onto the card. The class rating number corresponds to the transfer rate measured in megabytes per second. Class 2 cards are designed for a minimum sustained transfer rate of 2 megabytes per second (MB/s), while Class 10 cards are designed for a minimum sustained transfer rate of 10MB/s.

Rated Speed (e.g. 15MB/s, 30MB/s, etc.) is maximum speed of the card and also what you would expect to approximately see in typical usage of writing or reading files on the card. This measurement is pertinent to still photography, especially for taking pictures with high resolution and/or saving in RAW format where the files created are very large. The faster the card, the faster it can save the file and be ready to take another picture. You really notice speed differences with high-megapixel DSLR and multi-shot burst mode.

Still digital images shot on high-megapixel cameras should utilize fast data throughput (a large pipe), higher speed cards for improved performance. Higher speed cards can also improve how fast you can download (or upload) the files from the card to your computer.

Speed Class is a minimum speed based on a worst case scenario test. The Speed Class is important for video mode or camcorders, where the device is actually saving a steady stream of data. The resolution and format of the video determines the amount of steady stream data. This translates to a minimum speed you need to guarantee that the video captured on the cards is recorded at an even, sustained rate with no dropped frames (which typically results in lost data and choppy playback).

Compared to high-megapixel photography, video doesn't need as big a pipe because the video format is a smaller "fixed stream" that uses only a portion of the pipe. But you do need a minimum guaranteed speed for the SDHC card that satisfies the requirement of the data stream.
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
xjx
Forum Member

720p video on my K-x average at 4.5MB/s, which is definitely within the specification of class 6. I can easily record a 5 minutes video with a Transcend 16G class 6 card (which happens to be the same as the OP's).
05-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Inactive Account

720p video on my K-x average at 4.5MB/s, which is definitely within the specification of class 6. I can easily record a 5 minutes video with a Transcend 16G class 6 card (which happens to be the same as the OP's).
That's all well and good but the OPs camera is a K7 which records at 1080i.

05-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I agree with the others that it is a buffer filling issue; however, I have the same card (Transcend 16 G Class 6) and have had no trouble with video. I can't say that I have taken video lasting longer than about 3 and 1/2 minutes, but at least up to that point it does fine. If you haven't updated to the latest firmware, do that, it definitely helps.