Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2010, 09:29 PM   #16

Original Poster
Looks like aluminum tape is the way to go. I'll check out Walmart or a home improvement store for a tiny roll, as I won't need much (2 inches at most).

05-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
JClay,

What you need is an Adaptall 2 P/KA adaptor.

alohadave is right. The soiid metal flange is shorting everything out.

Why don't you try covering the Adaptal flange with cellulose tape and see what happens.

Mickey
Hey, Mickey - the opposite is true. Pentax expects the contacts to be shorted out if you have a manual focus lens. Those who have troubles with M42 lenses have the trouble because most of them are painted mounts.
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm glad I came across this thread, because I forgot about Catch-In Focus and have been frustrated at times with my A 70-210 and missing shots.

Anyhow, I tried this on my K20D and it works perfectly, and I didn't need a remote. I have AF disabled from the shutter button and only use the AF button for this. On my camera, the appropriate Custom Setting menu settings are:

"13. AF Button Function" set to 1 (Enable AF)
"14. AF by Press Halfway" set to 2 (Off)
"16. AF in remote control" set to 1 (Off)
Obviously, the Catch-In Focus is set to on and AF.S mode is selected.

When I press and hold the AF button first then press and hold the shutter, a shot is taken once in focus. BUT YOU HAVE TO PRESS AND HOLD THE AF BUTTON FIRST since pressing the shutter release first will take a shot no matter what. I'm not sure if CIF works with AF linked to the shutter button because I've had #13 and #14 set as above for quite some time now.

I hope this helps anyone who may not have had success with CIF to date.
05-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I'm glad I came across this thread, because I forgot about Catch-In Focus and have been frustrated at times with my A 70-210 and missing shots.

Anyhow, I tried this on my K20D and it works perfectly, and I didn't need a remote. I have AF disabled from the shutter button and only use the AF button for this. On my camera, the appropriate Custom Setting menu settings are:

When I press and hold the AF button first then press and hold the shutter, a shot is taken once in focus. BUT YOU HAVE TO PRESS AND HOLD THE AF BUTTON FIRST since pressing the shutter release first will take a shot no matter what. I'm not sure if CIF works with AF linked to the shutter button because I've had #13 and #14 set as above for quite some time now.

It works perfectly with the shutter button AF enabled. I use it all the time with my macro lens when chasing bugs around. As long as I can keep the bug in the centre of the focusing screen, his portrait will be taken when the camera detects focus. I have been using Trap Focus since I bought my SF-1 brand new some 25 years ago. They now call it Catch-In-Focus, but it is the same animal.

05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #20

Original Poster
I was finally able to make it work by just testing it with a ring of aluminum foil around the Adaptall-2 adapter on my lens. Shorted out the pins, and it works just as described now. My adapter is to blame, its coated in a plastic grip that goes from the outside around to the center of the metal ring that screws into the camera. This feature is a must use for macro!
05-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

also you can paint a strip with metalic paint ( you can buy it in electronic shops) on your lens base ,just in the contacts area to short them.

sorry bad english
05-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Aluminium tape on my Helios, works perfectly.
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
also you can paint a strip with metalic paint ( you can buy it in electronic shops) on your lens base ,just in the contacts area to short them.

sorry bad english
There is nothing wrong with your English. Don't apologize for it.

05-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

There's only one problem with the aluminum tape:

When you buy a roll, you have enough to modify about 10,000 lenses.

And since you already have the tape...
05-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
There's only one problem with the aluminum tape:

When you buy a roll, you have enough to modify about 10,000 lenses.

And since you already have the tape...
The only possible solution is to tape your wallet shut with the excess. This has to be the biggest single contributor to waking up latent LBA.
05-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote

One benefit to this setup is that you can do both CIF and Focus and Recompose, depending upon the situation.

CIF
1. press and hold the AF
2. press the shutter
3. focus
4. shot is taken when center point is in focus

Focus and Recompose

1. press and hold the AF
2. focus
3. release AF
4. recompose
5. press the shutter
6. shot is taken with the selected object in focus, even if it's not in the center
10-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the same Tamron 60-300 as JClay, + Tam 90 macro f2.5. Both work brilliantly in CiF mode. Soon as I stick my M42 Avanar 135 f2.5 on, nothing. Shutter fires no matter what. None of my adapters are painted, all metal

weird
10-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
I have the same Tamron 60-300 as JClay, + Tam 90 macro f2.5. Both work brilliantly in CiF mode. Soon as I stick my M42 Avanar 135 f2.5 on, nothing. Shutter fires no matter what. None of my adapters are painted, all metal

weird
Is the lens painted? Is the lens mount covering - or at least contacting - the connections on the body? The automatic pins must be shorted out for CiF.
10-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well spotted CR. I think the lens base is painted. The adapter certainly isnt.

I bought the adapter from that fine American dude Rainbow Imaging on Fleabay - nice adapters.

The pins look like they're being covered, but i can just see the very edge, a very tiny part of the connections. less than 1mm though

I need to scrape that Avanar 135, i think
10-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Well spotted CR. I think the lens base is painted. The adapter certainly isnt.

I bought the adapter from that fine American dude Rainbow Imaging on Fleabay - nice adapters.

The pins look like they're being covered, but i can just see the very edge, a very tiny part of the connections. less than 1mm though

I need to scrape that Avanar 135, i think
Glad to help. You could try a piece of aluminium foil between the mount and the pins. Some claim it works.