Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #16
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Dave, is there a reason why you don't want to use flash? Fast l
In my experience, flash is too strong and washes out the natural skin tones. Everyone appears like Casper the Ghost.

That's the only reason I don't prefer using flash.

08-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
I appreciate everyone's feedback, and taking the time respond.

I l-o-v-e my K1000, and Pentax's solid products. I need to go and try the k100D again at the store. I wish I could try it at my own home though, that would be the best. If only the Lotto would choose the same numbers that I choose. Then I'd just buy the k100D and not contemplate buying it.

Speaking of no shutter lag. Sometimes I'll use my webcam instead of my pns, for the reason that; when I press the shutter button, it fires instantly (just like my K1000). Even if it's a little out of focus, it's better than missing the shot all together IMO.
08-04-2007, 02:23 AM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Estonia
Posts: 261
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave21 Quote
In my experience, flash is too strong and washes out the natural skin tones. Everyone appears like Casper the Ghost.
That's why we have diffusers and that's why we bounce
08-04-2007, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
I've got a K100D and Sigma EF-500 flash and it's quite easy to get good indoor bounceflash action shots. However, DOF won't be as deep as a P&S, not by a long way, so you really do need to hit focus to get a good shot even at small apertures. It's usually fine.

By far the easiest indoor shooter for action shots is to get a P&S with a hot shoe, there aren't many around now, but if you can find a flash that works you can preset the focus distance manually to perhaps 6ft and get a massive DOF so everything is in focus, the flash freezes the action and EVERY shot comes out perfect. I did this with an Olympus C750 in manual mode using an old auto thyristor flash (a Nissin 360TW) to get the exposure right automatically (more or less). So easy once you've got used to it and bouncing gets rid of harsh lighting.

08-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #20
Junior Member
Sideways's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 46
Hi Dave,

Are you able to get in Focus Shots of your 2 year old with your K1000?
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #21
Forum Member
EvilPentaxUser's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: kentucky
Posts: 73
taking pictures of children

OK, according to the camera settings on the the K100D, there is a SCN option called, get this, Children. have a lens on the camera, push the FN button, it will show actually 5 options, press OK, it will then show 8 scene modes to choose from, choose the yellow smiling face, it reads" for capturing moving kids. Reproduces healthy and bright skin tone" OR, choose the runner on the dial to take fast pictures. may not have the skin tone though, but it is faster. Also, as I have learned the hard way, focus on subject face to make the auto focus detect that there is something there or it will focus in and out until it detects something there, then you can take the picture. of course, have AF lens on camera, or you have to set camera on focusing manually.
08-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #22
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideways Quote
Hi Dave,

Are you able to get in Focus Shots of your 2 year old with your K1000?
The triplet photo in your Gallery is nice.

I don't use my K1000 for taking photos of my kid because using the digital p&s is easier and I can take a bunch of shots and not need to develop film to see the results.

I've only taken a few photos of him with the k1000, but they were not good. The worst part is; I had to pay $$ to find out how bad they were. Didn't know they were bad until after developing the film.

I was just hoping that the k100d worked good for fast moving kids and didn't miss shots due to shutter lag or inability to lock-on in AF mode.

I'll just keep searching for the camera that can do the job. Maybe a Canon XT, or the Nikon D40, or even a faster p&s camera.
08-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #23
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EvilPentaxUser Quote
OK, according to the camera settings on the the K100D, there is a SCN option called, get this, Children. have a lens on the camera, push the FN button, it will show actually 5 options, press OK, it will then show 8 scene modes to choose from, choose the yellow smiling face, it reads" for capturing moving kids. Reproduces healthy and bright skin tone" OR, choose the runner on the dial to take fast pictures. may not have the skin tone though, but it is faster. Also, as I have learned the hard way, focus on subject face to make the auto focus detect that there is something there or it will focus in and out until it detects something there, then you can take the picture. of course, have AF lens on camera, or you have to set camera on focusing manually.
Have you used the Children Mode, or the Running Mode? Did you miss any shots due to the camera reacting too slowly?

08-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #24
Junior Member
Sideways's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 46
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave21 Quote
The triplet photo in your Gallery is nice.
Thanks... Like I said 3 reasons to buy a DSLR

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave21 Quote
I was just hoping that the k100d worked good for fast moving kids and didn't miss shots due to shutter lag or inability to lock-on in AF mode.

I'll just keep searching for the camera that can do the job. Maybe a Canon XT, or the Nikon D40, or even a faster p&s camera.

Dave I have just taken Heaps of shots at a Kids Gym party.. If that is not fast moving kids then i don't know what is!

See Photo

I've found the best settings for the K100D is the following...
Change Focus Mode. AF-C - This is continous Focus.
- This is the same as the sports mode.
- This will unlock the shutter from focus confirmation.
- When you press shutter all way down then it will take the photo.
- This may cause your photos to be slightly out of focus but you will get the photo you want.


Change OK Button to Enable Focus.
- Press shutter half way down.. Exposure taken.
- Press OK Button Auto focus starts and will continue to focus.
- Press Shutter all way down take photo.


You can also change your stratagy with this method.
Method used in photo.
- Point camera at mat underneath where the Child will be.
- Press shutter half way down
- Wait for Child to run and Jump.
- CLICK
- Photo in focus!

This means that you tell the camera what to focus on and when to focus. The Shutter is no longer connected to focus.

Took 250 Shots in 2 hours and 5 were out of focus...
Attached Images
 
08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #25
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sideways Quote

Dave I have just taken Heaps of shots at a Kids Gym party.. If that is not fast moving kids then i don't know what is!

See Photo
So that's what the new Spiderman looks like in his street-clothes.

Thanks for sharing your focusing techniques too, Sideways.
08-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #26
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
I have read reviews that the Canon Powershot S3 IS takes the picture when the button is pressed and doesn't delay. I might look into that one.

Also the Optio M30 seems pretty good. Lots of good things said about it's excellent CCD sensor, haven't seen anyone mention no delay when pressing the button.

I'm starting to think that maybe I just need a quicker p&s and forego the DSLR for now.
08-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #27
jro
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Posts: 41
Big thanks to Sideways for the tips on what settings to play with to get the AF to behave. I've been trying to shoot concerts in very dark rooms with an FA 50 f/1.4, but the AF just keeps searching for the lock. I set the camera to AF.C and the OK button to enable AF, and now I can lock the focus where I want and snap some shots. It's like having the speed of Manual Focus with the ease of Auto.

I guess one of these days I'll have to give in and just use a flash, but I'd like to push that off as long as I can.
08-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member
lapeen's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangor, maine
Posts: 381
Dave,

I can GUARANTEE you that the pentax is faster than the Olympus!! I had the Olympus 500uz and the shutter lag DROVE ME NUTS!! It was SO SLOW! It got dropped earlier in the year and I got a Fujifilm s6000fd. WHAT A DIFFERENCE...and it is not even a DSLR! Not to mention the difference in low light situations, my Oly pics come out VERY dark and/or blurry, my Fuji pics are FAR superior (Although not nearly as great as my friends d40 pics).

The Oly took WONDERFUL pics outdoors... but until I got the Fuji, I had no idea what I was missing. And now with dslrs everywhere... I constantly am seeing what I am missing with my Fuji (that I still love!) and am ready for the jump to SLR.
08-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #29
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAPAN
Posts: 14
Original Poster
I'm glad I'm not the only one to get frustrated with the Oly. Sorry that you had to be frustrated though.

Your Fuji camera is impressive. I've never looked at it before. Very nice. It must be in the same category as the Powershot S3 IS that I am considering. They are nice cameras, I think. I am still in decision mode. With each passing day I miss shots. I need to pony-up and just get a new one and stop agonizing over the decision.

Thanks for chiming in and telling me your experience with the Oly compared to your Fujifilm.


QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
Dave,

I can GUARANTEE you that the pentax is faster than the Olympus!! I had the Olympus 500uz and the shutter lag DROVE ME NUTS!! It was SO SLOW! It got dropped earlier in the year and I got a Fujifilm s6000fd. WHAT A DIFFERENCE...and it is not even a DSLR! Not to mention the difference in low light situations, my Oly pics come out VERY dark and/or blurry, my Fuji pics are FAR superior (Although not nearly as great as my friends d40 pics).

The Oly took WONDERFUL pics outdoors... but until I got the Fuji, I had no idea what I was missing. And now with dslrs everywhere... I constantly am seeing what I am missing with my Fuji (that I still love!) and am ready for the jump to SLR.
08-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sen-fah-sen VA
Posts: 26
dont know how similar this is but i use the auto focus when i photograph the cars in our crew on the highway...im hanging out of the window for a short period of time so i cant really look through the viewfinder to see if everything is focused or not but this is one of the results:



i know ur gunning for spur of the moment shots but i hope this helps. we were moving about 70 mph for this pic and i had not even prefocused before shooting...the AF locked on real quick.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, auto focus, camera, dslr, k100d, olympus, photography, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Reasons why manual focus primes are better than those new auto focus zoom lenses JoepLX3 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 188 07-25-2012 03:28 PM
IS there Auto Focus assist in Auto with the Metz 58? madman6767 Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 01-26-2009 06:27 AM
Auto focus seems slow, off focus after repair voicelit Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 10-14-2008 11:15 PM
my k100d will not auto focus,. help!! distorted_vision Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-17-2007 05:25 PM
K100D Auto Focus does not work when Flash is on ericmjl Pentax DSLR Discussion 0 10-08-2007 10:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top