Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you believe that Pentax needs improvement on aftersale service and communication?
Yes, absolutely 2057.14%
A bit 38.57%
Perhaps 12.86%
I am not sure 12.86%
Maybe not 12.86%
Not at all 12.86%
I do not know 822.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
It is a shame of pentax europe

Dear friends,
I am an owner of a Pentax K10D with the usual back focus problem of this body and the unbelievable stiffness of Pentax to keep the firmware locked.
Although I 've heard of cracked firmware in order to adjust the focus problem, I preferred to send my camera at the official Pentax Service of Greece where I live, on 28th of February, 2010.
Greek Pentax Service is not capable of adjusting this problem (sth which is easy for an amateur hacker), so they sent my camera in Europe. I do not know where. Maybe France, or Belgium or wherever....

Today, on 19th of May, after 3 months, I 'm waiting for my camera and they do not know here in Greece to answer me what happened with it.
After 3 months I addressed to buy another second hand Pentax K20D camera (because I didn't have any other digital body), which has the capability to adjust the focus level. It is a software case very easy for Pentax to change it.

I wonder if they ask me money for repairing, at the same time they will give me my camera back for a problem that the camera had from the beginning, with a horrible service that cannot repair a software focus problem, with incredible Pentax Europe, as they are moving (I don't know if it is true) and without any information service.

As you understand I 'm still waiting for my camera, hoping to take it back at least at the same situation I gave it to them.
I hope that Pentax Administration will stop to consider us as money bringers to them and give us a product with its real options, as e.g. sharper jpg images, unlocked focus adjuster, 50-3200 ISO etc. that Pentax K10D could make for its owners.
They did produce a nice Body and they forgot it in the name of Money! All we are suckers and they are the clever people.
Bill Gaytes tricks of windows also in Digital Camera world. They give us just little, and then a little more and a little more like cheese to the mouse.

Where is the past that Pentax Producers made wonderful cameras without any secrets for their customers, with honest and full specs?
As you understand, politicians are not the only liers and thieves...

I wish your Pentax bodies to be good, and if you have focus problems try and get the cracked firmware and don't even think of sending your K10D at Pentax Service. Don't even think about it!!!

05-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I totally agree that Pentax Greece should be able to tell you the status of your camera, even if it takes them a day to find it out.

I use a K10D and it is a great camera; the only thing it lacks in my opinion is the AF adjustment option. I bought this camera knowing (most of) its functionalities; I do not expect the firmware to be updated; if I need different functionalities, I will buy another camera (or I would have choosen another camera in the first place).

With regards to the extra functionalities: there have been a few threads regarding this. As indicated above, I do not quite agree with your statement (although it would not mind if some things would come along). And it's not always very easy; code size might be an issue, storage space for parameters might be an issue, higher ISO might require a hardware modification) and it costs lots of money (that can be better spend on creating a new camera with the requirements).

PS I did not vote as you cover a couple of things in your text (service, software updates) so I could not give a vote that covered everything.
05-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
Dear Sterretje,
Thank you for replying my message.
Let me begin from the end of your message! Of course you have the right to vote or not. You are a free personality as all of us in this forum.
I didn't write all these to make bad to Pentax, as it is my favourite company. I 'm still using Pentax, because I respect the past of this company and I believe that they could make it better. I sent this message to help you know what's going out with Pentax Europe, if you live in Europe, and make them to be more responsible to their customers.
I also have to inform you that a guy managed to get into the service menu of Pentax K10D by pressing a combination of buttons. But when Pentax understood this path, immediately produced a firmware (1.20 or 1.30 I think) in order to lock the "door".
So, if you got into that door and saw the secret menu of your camera you could see that the 50 and 3200 ISO were included on the camera. And as for a camera with fewer megapixels you ought to know that it is easier to have less noise than another with more megapixels. With other words theoretically Pentax K10D can have less noise than Pentax K20D. That's why Pentax K20D has 2 filters for noise.
Also the Raw of Pentax K10D was the better file than Nikons and Canons and Olympuses etc. But the jpg was the worse. They updated it in Pentax K20D. Believe me that they can do the same for K10D. It is just software. The hardware is wonderful. Really wonderful. I believe that Pentax K10 is one of the best cameras ever made. The only minor for me is always that it is not Full Frame but this is another story.
You also said that if you need different functionalities you could buy another camera. I will tell you to imagine that you have a porche with a potato in your exhaust. The car seems to have a problem. If you put the potato out the porche will run like the wind, and maybe more.
Another example is the locked mobile phones. Why do you think that they are locked? They don't want you to find what you can do. If you like it then I I stop here. Undoubtedly, we are educated from different schools.

Last edited by teogin; 05-19-2010 at 07:12 AM.
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So far I have not needed to use the services of Pentax Europe, so I had to vote 'Don't know'

But it's interesting that that option is in second place behind 'Yes'

Apparently there's not much middle ground?

05-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
If pentaxians had nice communication experience from Pentax you wouldn't have this worry.
I think that Pentax customers are happy with their equipment that's why they participate to this forum, but the official Pentax just plans whatever they want and wait for people to buy them.

A nice DSLR body was missing in the past. They achieved the target by producing the Pentax K10D with new and fresh functions that made Nikons and Canons faces shy.

I admire the quality of Pentax products, but they need to rise the communication section in order to get into the hearts of people.

The quality is the most important think of course but communication is very necessary nowadays, as well as after-sale service and support.

Last edited by teogin; 05-26-2010 at 06:07 AM.