Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Something odd about the K-x

Not sure if I'm just not used to the camera yet, but I noticed something that kind of bothered me when taking moon photos tonight. It seems like the viewfinder has some kind of weird angle to it because when I try to take photos facing up, either I have to try and find the viewfinder with my eye, or the light from the screen distracts me and is fairly irritating. Does anyone else have this problem?

05-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Not sure if I'm just not used to the camera yet, but I noticed something that kind of bothered me when taking moon photos tonight. It seems like the viewfinder has some kind of weird angle to it because when I try to take photos facing up, either I have to try and find the viewfinder with my eye, or the light from the screen distracts me and is fairly irritating. Does anyone else have this problem?
On the K7, you can turn the screen off by pressing the INFO button. Don't know what's up with your viewfinder though.

05-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The screen turns off when I hold down the shutter to focus, but it's before that where it is a little bit irritating. I'm not sure what is wrong with my viewfinder either, it has worked fine until tonight, but that was the first time that I tried taking a photo at that angle.
05-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What exactly is "weird" about it? Explain.

Jason

05-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure about the view finder but like the K-7 you can turn off the screen on the back by pressing INFO twice. I usually do this at night otherwise destroy my night vision.
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have instant review turned off, I have the startup info screen turned off. I have my K10 set to only turn on the back LCD if I press a button to see something, except the shake reduction focal length request, and I can defeat that. When I first mount the MF lens to the camera, I have SR turned on so that I can set the focal length. After that, I turn SR off, turn the camera on, turn SR on. In this sequence it doesn't ask me for the focal length I have already set. Alternatively I simply press [OK] without bothering to look.

For me, personally, the LCD is only there for me to use when I want to use it. After all, for all but the last 2.5 years, I never had an LCD to look at except on a cell phone. With film cameras, I had to make sure of my exposure in camera. No chimping possible. Now I have the possibility of checking exposure on site. Amazing!
05-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I have a little bit better understanding of the problem after going out and taking some photos today. It's like the viewfinder is too small for my eye the way it is built, or the cover around it, because while I can see the scene of what I'm photographing, the bottom LCD in the viewfinder usually doesn't even come into my attention because it gets cut off somehow by the way my eye fits into it. I don't remember having this problem before so I'll try using my other cameras and see if it's something that I just didn't notice that I do until I got the K-x.

05-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think I have a little bit better understanding of the problem after going out and taking some photos today. It's like the viewfinder is too small for my eye the way it is built, or the cover around it, because while I can see the scene of what I'm photographing, the bottom LCD in the viewfinder usually doesn't even come into my attention because it gets cut off somehow by the way my eye fits into it. I don't remember having this problem before so I'll try using my other cameras and see if it's something that I just didn't notice that I do until I got the K-x.
It sounds like the viewfinder ocular may not have enough eye relief for your eye - do you shot wearing eye glass's?

If not try it without the rubber eye cup. I use my k20 this way.
05-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't figure out how to take it off!
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's the problem I have with my K20D, and I don't wear glasses . I don't know about the other brands though .
05-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because I already know most of my settings with most of the cameras that I have (back LCD info display on both my Rebel XTi and the K-x) I don't even think that I usually pay attention to that anyways. But I noticed that I took a ton of photos at ISO 1600 without even realizing it on a K100D that I was borrowing a few weeks ago. I guess I'll just have to pay a little more attention to it, the viewfinder on the K-x is larger than both of the other cameras that I mentioned, at least I think it is.
05-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just rip the damn thing off. I did. There is still bits of it on my camera body but I can see the whole screen.

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.
05-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Place both thumbs under the two sides and slide it up.
05-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Didn't work, too afraid to use force, it is a brand new camera after all!
05-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't work, too afraid to use force, it is a brand new camera after all!
When all else fails, it is time to read the manual, but I have yet to see a Pentax where the rubber eyecup does not slide off as described, unless it did not have a cover at all, just the hard plastic square. If it is rubber I would expect it to slide straight up. It does on all three cameras in my signature.