Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anyone wants me to email them my ESD piece that I did for the Florida's Turnpike....an easy to read 16-page study and lesson on the subject...PM me.

There is no way in helll you should have a unit powered up, and introduce an ESD event by handling a lens made of plastic. And plastic is the biggest conductor, worst material for tribo-electric charging, the biggest cause of ESD damage.

ESD is the major cause of damage/faulty operation of all bad cards.

05-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
If anyone wants me to email them my ESD piece that I did for the Florida's Turnpike....an easy to read 16-page study and lesson on the subject...PM me.

There is no way in helll you should have a unit powered up, and introduce an ESD event by handling a lens made of plastic. And plastic is the biggest conductor, worst material for tribo-electric charging, the biggest cause of ESD damage.

ESD is the major cause of damage/faulty operation of all bad cards.
ESD affects electrostatic sensitive components whether they are energised or not, most importantly they are generally most vulnerable out of circuit. A well designed circuit, such as one that has exposed contacts should have integrated ESD protection, it's all pretty basic from a design perspective.

The concept that the charge on the sensor due to it being powered would attract dust has been well and truly debunked many times. The voltages concerned are not remotely dust attractive, there may be a latent static charge on some polymer surfaces of the sensor due to a mechanical action (such as brushing with an brush that's not ESD safe) but in any case powering off the unit will not cause this type of static charge to dissipate.

For what it's worth I've never bothered to turn off any of my camera bodies (MZ-5n, MZ-S, *ist D, K10D, K20D, K-x) whilst changing lenses and I've never encountered a problem. However I don't own any SDM or power zoom lenses and if I did then I might tend to be more cautious as I the whole system seems to be a pretty poor implementation.
05-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How come pentax has no interlock between lens release button
and power supply?
05-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #34
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
ESD affects electrostatic sensitive components whether they are energised or not.
Yes, but they are made additionally sensitive by being powered.

Also, there's a misconception that ESD immediately damages a component, which it does. But the majority of ESD damage results in a shortening of the component's life--it's not usually immediate.

Would anyone like to discuss the familiar metallic ESD bag? And how everyone uses it incorrectly?

05-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes, but they are made additionally sensitive by being powered.

Also, there's a misconception that ESD immediately damages a component, which it does. But the majority of ESD damage results in a shortening of the component's life--it's not usually immediate.

Would anyone like to discuss the familiar metallic ESD bag? And how everyone uses it incorrectly?
The point is that the warning not to have the camera powered on whilst changing lenses has nil to do with ESD or static build-up around the sensor assembly, it's about potential shortcomings in the connection system. The contacts being proud and vulnerable to potential ESD should be sufficiently protected, what's baffling (as someone else mentioned) is why there is no interlock system associated with the lens release which negates the potential of damage during lens removal/replacement.
05-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #36
Pentaxian

How are they used incorrectly?
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
and power supply?
Because it's not needed.

05-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
"Because it's not needed"
when a heavy inductive load is powered down, say app is ignition coil
in automobile or a SDM drive in lens, field collapes, "BIG EMF" happens
is exploited in auto, is destructive in lens if engineering falls short in
dealing with it. Among conditions that occur can be arching conditions
that degrade contacts, thats nothing compared to what could happen
to field windings of SDM motor if insulation is over-voltaged.
A little preventative insurance could go a long way.
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #39
rkt

never tried changing lenses, or flash, when powered on... I think there is a good risk of a short-circuit/static of some type, that could fry some part of the electronics ...
05-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

when a heavy inductive load is powered down, say app is ignition coil
in automobile or a SDM drive in lens, field collapes, "BIG EMF" happens
is exploited in auto, is destructive in lens if engineering falls short in
dealing with it. Among conditions that occur can be arching conditions
that degrade contacts, thats nothing compared to what could happen
to field windings of SDM motor if insulation is over-voltaged.
A little preventative insurance could go a long way.
Right, and how many cameras do you know that use car batteries for power.

We are talking about 3-5 volts and milliamps. Not dangerous stuff. I think that the engineers would design the system to work powered on, or you'd be hearing about massive amounts of damaged lenses from everyone. Canon has been making USM lenses for 20 years and I haven't heard of a single instance of a lens being damaged by this 'BIG EMF'.

Comparing an ignition coil to an SDM motor is a bit ridiculous.
05-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I accidentally swapped lenses without powering off the camera first. Didn't realize that I had done it until I went to turn the camera on and noticed that it was already on. Nothing bad happened.
05-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I used to switch my Canon lenses all the time without powering them down. Never had an issue. Because of this habit, I have been doing the same with my K7 and really didnt think it would be any different.
05-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Well, I once swapped lenses with my K20 still powered on (I usually power it off while swapping), and it just got unresponsive then...
In the end I had to remove the battery...

So, now I always make sure I power the camera down before swapping the lenses (easy to do : I switch it off with my index, and I unlock the lens with my ring finger, it became a natural combo).
05-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #44
Veteran Member

and power supply?
Just curious: how do you know it doesn't have?
05-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #45

I had never given it much thought but from now I will make certain to avoid it being "on". Not worth the risk. For me not easy to repair or replace, besides that, I like to look after my gear. It's good gear.