Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Full frame or improved AF. What do you want in the "K-8"?
Full-frame sensor 8141.54%
Improved AF 11458.46%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2010, 02:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FF for sure, not that I will buy one, or Pentax AF is good enough, but that's how Pentax might grab the market.

05-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #62
Forum Member

I would want better dynamic range and more wide angle options, both of which could be assumed with FF, so that gets my vote. The K-X is already one of the top handful of cameras with respect to dynamic range. Most of the rest are FF. An FF body with K-X IQ and K-7 build quality and functionality would be fantastic. The fact that the recent 100mm and 200mm lenses are FF capable gives reason to hope that Pentax is leaning in that direction.
06-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #63

Can we have a "neither, better high-ISO performance" button please?
06-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What AF? Even manual only lenses ok with me. I want:

1-FF that means more resolution, that means less pixel density less diffraction error, less DOF.
2-And a re-placed SR button please, forgotten SR mode makes me mad.
3- 50 ASA please if possible I am dead serious.

06-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #65
Inactive Account

i vote for improved AF.
f2.8 or faster sensitivity and AFC that works w/o slowing down the FPS

please pentax, NO MORE SAFOX VIII.

will pentax deliver or disappoint? i guess that is subjective
we'll know 81 days from now at photokina, i hope
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full frame. I don't AF on any of my cameras. Sometimes I shoot in small places and now my K100D cuts some of that off. eck!
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #67
Pentaxian

This isn't an either/or issue. If Pentax decides to go full frame, they will have to continue to upgrade and improve their present APS/C models. Canon and Nikon are continuing to upgrade their APS sensor sized cameras and that is still their bread and butter.

06-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #68
Inactive Account

24x35mm !!!
06-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Frankly, even though it wasn't one of the choices, what I'm looking for is better video capabilities.
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #70
Veteran Member

OK, big fan in general (look, texture).

BUT, tonight I said (maybe shouted) "EFFING THING!" in front of my amused 6 year old, uncaring 3 year old, and unamused wife. I was chasing a not-too-fast back kite.

Pentax AF!!!
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I'd define the better af more specifically. Most people just think its straightforward speed.
The speed is good, but the responsiveness and situation dependent performance can get horrible.

Eg, sometimes it seems that when i half press my shutter, nothing happens - Other times, it feels like AF makes illogical actions.
There should be some more configuration options to optimize AF performance.

E.g. if the camera starts to hunt, but in the middle of hunt will get a glimpse of contrast, it will stop its action completely and lock at blinking hexagon. It should either allow shutter release, even with warning, if it's locked, or continue hunt in smaller steps, not block action completely.

Another example, is putting the camera on tripod, and pointing it to a static scene. Very often when half pressing the shutter button several times, the camera will lock at slightly different distance.
In a static setting this is not a problem, you simply use MF and nail the shot. But this is a serious indicator of inaccuracy and inconsistency that can be the cause of unpredictable results in a dynamic environment. This means that besides determining the actual distance and achieving one correct focus there is a random variance or error present. This way you cant learn the behavior of AF and know what it might pick as distance.
06-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #72

Where's my pony, dammit!!!
06-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
both,preferably.
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #74
Forum Member

Faster/Better AF (incl tracking)

Well I want both. I also want even better high ISO, in an APS-C sensor. And even faster frame rate, e.g., 6 to 8 fps.

But, from a marketing perspective, i would imagine that better AF performance - faster, and better tracking, predictive, or whatever it's called elsewhere - would be the smartest move.

Pentax would bring in more new users, both first-time buyers, and even those switching from another system, with better AF performance.

The K-x rivals the D90 (and possibly even the D300) for high ISO output. The K7 successor surely will have that, and probably a but better.

The K7 has 5.2 fps; not as fast as competitors, but not slow, by any means. It's maybe a generation behind, but tons of people are using Canikons that are one or more generations behind, shooting in the 5 fps range, and are perfectly happy with that.

It's the superior AF performance that draws users to Canons and Nikons, especially first-time buyers. Sony, too gets accolades on the AF speed of its DSLRs. In fact, I don't ever recall reading anything about Olympus having slower-than-desired AF speeds.

The K7 was a nice improvement, but AF speed is still complained bout. IMO, it is arguably the area in which there still is the greatest gap between Pentax and its competitors.

Just my $0.02...

Greg