Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K7 - Low Light Question

I am looking for a new DSLR and have narrowed it down to the T2I or K7. I actually had a KX and returned it due to not being able to see the focus points (drove me crazy) and the loud shutter. I know the KX has better high ISO performance than the K7 but it's not the camera for me.

Having said that, I am debating between the T2I and K7. Video is not a major issue for me. When I need great video, I will use a dedicated camcorder. My main concerns about the K7 are that I cannot try it locally and its high ISO performance. My daughter is in theatre and often performs indoors in low light conditions and I am concerned the K7 might have trouble in this type of environment. The T2I probably would too honestly. I am drawn to the K7 for some reason even though I cannot try it locally. Its current price and features seem impossible to beat. Has anyone used a K7 in this type of environment? A good 50mm lens would probably help. How much would this run? Thanks for any suggestions.

05-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot live theatre performances with a K-7. I use a K20D as well but try to use the K-7 more due to the quiet shutter. I actually shoot for an Arts Foundation to provide stills of their theatre productions. I've been quite pleased with the performance.

From a recent ballet/dance production:

05-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check out the "Post your High ISO Images" thread on this forum for tons more examples of high ISO images from the K-7 and other cameras.
05-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I shoot live theatre performances with a K-7. I use a K20D as well but try to use the K-7 more due to the quiet shutter. I actually shoot for an Arts Foundation to provide stills of their theatre productions. I've been quite pleased with the performance.
From a recent ballet/dance production:
Mel,
Great shot. What lens did you use ?
Thank you for sharing this shot....

05-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

This particular shot was with the DA* 50-135. The lenses I use for theatre shooting are mainly that and the 16-50. I just recently added the Sigma 70-200/2.8. This performance was shot at ISO 2000 and f/2.8. Lighting was really low and people were moving. But yes you can shoot theatre-type stuff with the K-7.
05-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #6

We share a similar problem. I also just bought a K-x and returned it because it just felt too plastic. I considered the Canon T2i, but today I ordered a K7 because I want a well build camera that will last.
05-25-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
whats the real name for the t2i? if its 550d then its a pretty good camera really, though i think the k7 edges it out, if its 450d or 500d then the choice is much easier.

grab it with an FA 50mm 1.4 and you'll get your low light performance. don't forget you have in body SR as well to add on top of that speed. something you cannot get with canon on a fast prime.
05-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
whats the real name for the t2i? if its 550d then its a pretty good camera really, though i think the k7 edges it out, if its 450d or 500d then the choice is much easier.
grab it with an FA 50mm 1.4 and you'll get your low light performance. don't forget you have in body SR as well to add on top of that speed. something you cannot get with canon on a fast prime.
The 550D and T2i are the names for the same camera: the name depends upon the regions.
I agree that the K-7 with a fast prime is a very capable camera in low-light. In fact, a strength of Pentax is the broad choice of very nice prime lenses, incl. the pancake lenses.

Last edited by hcc; 05-25-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Typo