Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-x image similar to Point&Shoot

Recently shot some photos in bright daylight, outdoors, and at closer look, the 100% crop is quite smudgy and lost most of the details. Yes it was shot in JPG 3stars but i don't think it should be that bad. Does anyone else have the same prob?

Setup:
K-x, 18-55mm L, ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/250

I've shot K100D, K10D, K20D but this is quite bad compared to them.

Actual Photo:

100% Crop: Notice the dark colours (noise??) , the subjects' hair is all smudgy.

05-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Inactive Account

wich was the FL of the picture?
If it was @55mm then my 18-55 bheaves in a similar way, the long end isn't sharp when pixel peeping for my taste at every aperture and i try to avoid it.
Also you're looking at the border of the image, and the kit lens isn't a stellar performer in that regard (at least my copy).
05-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Matam, thanks for responding.
Yes FL was 55mm. But this happened to all the photos even at the centers. I didn't post the centres coz they were family shots.

I'm actually more concerned abt the rendering of the darks , see the dark-coloured shirts of the subjects. Very very noisy. I didn't really expect that from the acclaimed sensor.
05-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Havent had a chance to use my 18-55 much yet, but other alternative possibilities...

Lets say the ship was about 200ft away and your lens was at 50mm. (sort of looks that way from the photo), the near focus limit would be around 45ft. Part of the blurriness may simply be due to your focus point being in the distance.

I'd be more interested to see what the railings on the ship look like since that is more in line with where the camera may have been focusing. (unless you specifically focused on the people before recomposing... in which case ignore what I just said, and the photo is pretty bad).

Did you have any noise reduction on? Dunno how that works at higher shutter speeds and low ISO (does the Kx turn it off?), but it looks like noise reduction artifacts as well.

Since you're shooting jpg, you might want to check the contrast and sharpness settings. If they got turned way down, maybe an issue?? Although this really doesn't look like its caused by those settings.

05-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's 2 more crops from different sections of the photo.

Below: Notice the loss of details especially on the collar of the man facing us.
05-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Something definitately not right with those...
05-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
Inactive Account

sorry was my monitor setting and i couldn't see a single trace of noise in the shirt, to me was almost all black.
Now i've retuned my display and i must say that's not right at all and there's a lot of chroma noise too, i see purple and green noise on those central crop.
Do you have shadow correction eneabled?

05-22-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Everything off
No correction, plain vanilla. Curve set to "Natural" in the camera.
05-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you wait to see the shake reduction hand icon appear before fully depressing the shutter? Very important. It's not active before you see that icon, and can make things worse.

Also, have you done much serious photography in the past? And I ask for a simple reason, not to be condescending:

95% of casual shutters have the bad habit of bringing the camera down and away from their eye as they simultaneously click the shutter. It's almost an instinctive thing that everyone does, but you have to be aware of it with each and every shot.

Hold the camera steady before, during, and for a second AFTER you depress the shutter.
05-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am having trouble seeing the problem. You're posting crops from areas that are clearly not in the focus zone, and they are underexposed to boot, because they are so much darker than other areas of the picture that are properly exposed.. Of course those areas are going to lack detail - that's going to be the case with *any* camera. Things are only going to show maximum detail when in focus and when exposed well. Asking the camera to produce less-than-best-quality JPEG's isn't helping, either.
05-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is easy, it's underexposed by almost a stop.

ROT with Pentax cameras, +0.5 Ev is where you start.
05-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This is easy, it's underexposed by almost a stop.

ROT with Pentax cameras, +0.5 Ev is where you start.
What does ROT mean?

I'm terrible with acronyms.
05-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Note too that the Natural image tone is meant for further processing. Natural defaults to -1 in sharpness, as opposed to Bright which is +1, two stops higher. And yes, the photo is definitely underexposed.

Ira, ROT stands for Rule of Thumb. I disagree with Alfisti about the K-x needing +.5 Ev all the time, but I would definitely have pushed the exposure one stop with these dark subjects and bright sky.
05-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I searched my photos for a 200 ISO examples, and found one that had noise like this, checked more and it was from the K10 where i had drawn detail out of shadow areas by a lot of fill light, and some exposure bump, etc. Taking my image back to import in LR, all the noise disappeared. yep, post processing did this.

Was this a jpeg or RAW. RAW will leave you with more detail.
05-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Going back and looking at my photos with the K-x kit lens, I have to say the lens plays a big role in your photos as well. The camera settings (exposure, SR, shutter speed) definitely needed more attention, but even at really optimum settings my k-x + kit lens didn't do much better. There's a reason we all upgrade

You can get really lovely shots out of the kit lens if you use it at its sweet spot and know your camera well, but it's not a lens that forgives much