Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

how to connect my *istD to an astronomical telescope

WHICH IS THE CHEAPEST AND BEST WAY to take pictures with my TASCO reflective astronomical telescope using my *istD camera. Which adapter(s) do you recommend? I also have a refractive telescope as well. How do I connect to the eyepiece?

Dan

05-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess would be to go with a generic m42 adapter, but that's just a guess. Hopefully someone else is more knowledgeable here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

I believe you need a T adapter (part that fits in where the eyepiece would go) and a Pentax T mount.

I've been toying with the idea of getting these to set up my k20d on my parents orion 8" dobsonian.
05-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Found this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46862-k20-astronomical-telescope.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

General Brand | T-Mount SLR Camera Adapter for Pentax K | ATPK
Celestron | SLR (35mm OR Digital) Camera Adapter | 93625 | B&H

Good old B&H, no need for custom stuff.
This will work for a refractor with a 1.25" eye piece.
I don't have a reflector so will not comment on it.

Cheers, Mike.

Or you can go digi-scoping route like in the pictures. Prime focusing will give better results how ever and is easier on telescopes draw-tube.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
05-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by techristian Quote
WHICH IS THE CHEAPEST AND BEST WAY to take pictures with my TASCO reflective astronomical telescope using my *istD camera. Which adapter(s) do you recommend? I also have a refractive telescope as well. How do I connect to the eyepiece?

Dan
There are those adapters from eyepiece mount to T2 thread and then you add a simple T2-K-mount adapter for the camera (as posted above). Which size of T2-eyepiece tube adapter you need is a telescope specific question. Currently most lower end scopes use 1.25-inches tubes and bigger/better scopes use 2-inch drawtubes/focusers.

But some older scopes also use the much smaller 0.965-inches focusers. These last ones will vignette visibly with your camera as the diameter is so small and the overall length of the focuser + adapters is quite long.

Some scopes already have an integrated t2- thread at the focuser end - perhaps you are lucky there?

My question would be, what do want to photograph through that scopes? If you want to take astronomical images through the scope, your tracking mount should be very good (unless you take images of the Sun and Moon exclusively).

Ben