Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

HDR and 2 second timer

I mentioned this in another thread and the mods said I should start a new thread for something like this. So here it is!

Unless you have a remote, HDR just isn't gonna happen.

Why oh why can I not use the 2 second timer to get HDR?!?!?!?!?
I've seen others get some great results using HDR and thought to myself "hey, that looks awesome, I might give that a go! 3 shots eh, handheld won't be good here, I'll just bang it on the tripod and use the timer.... oh..."

Surely it wouldn't be too hard for Pentax to issue another firmware update with a fix for this? That would be most awesome

05-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to have to test this myself. Why wouldn't the camera allow this. Doesn't make sense, so it must be some sort of firmware glitch. I, too, hope it gets fixed if it's there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whats wrong with the 2 second timer on a tripod?
I use it all the time to do hdr and have never had a problem.
05-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Probably something dosnt works, that the original poster didnt mention.
Something like the built in HDR effect or bracketing.

05-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm not talking about the effect for HDR, I'm talking about the HDR in menu page 2 "HDR Capture". When this is on, go to your shooting timer options and all the timed options are greyed out.

Oh, I'm using a K-7 by the way.

Hey Pentax, I'm sure you're reading this, reckon you could whip out a fix for us?
05-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh i see now what you mean. Have you thought about just shooting HDR photo's the normal way and do the processing yourself?

From what ive heard the in-camera HDR processing is nothing to write home about anyway
05-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess you are talking about the K7 onboard HDR.

Just use your Automated bracket, 3 shot or 5 shot and forget all about the onboard HDR. Then stuff them into Photomatix or a dozen other similar HDR programs after you've turned the camera off. You can use 2 sec delays for all the automated bracket images. Problem solved. time to start taking pictures :-)

IMO, the K7 and Kx onboard HDR tools don't compare to what you can do with software off the camera anyway.

05-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must admit that one thing I found funny with the K-x is that if I use the automated bracket then I can't use the timer or remote. If I want to use autobracketing for HDR then it has to be "handheld" (which I still use a tripod for). Obviously this isn't ideal so I normally just pop it into manual mode, take a shot, adjust the exposure, take another... until done. I would have thought that using the timer or remote to take three autobracketed images for HDR would be one of the more useful features of autobracketing but instead they limited it to the shutter button (and without timer delay) only.
05-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
I must admit that one thing I found funny with the K-x is that if I use the automated bracket then I can't use the timer or remote. If I want to use autobracketing for HDR then it has to be "handheld" (which I still use a tripod for). Obviously this isn't ideal so I normally just pop it into manual mode, take a shot, adjust the exposure, take another... until done. I would have thought that using the timer or remote to take three autobracketed images for HDR would be one of the more useful features of autobracketing but instead they limited it to the shutter button (and without timer delay) only.
This...a million times this...

It's SO annoying having to choose EITHER bracketed shots OR remote/timer. Counter intuitive IMO.

I must say, it's the only thing I dislike about the K-x. Watching my friend shoot his XSi bracket shots with his remote is jealousy inducing.

Then I crank it up to high ISO's and laugh...so...meh lol
05-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found this out yesterday when attempting to shoot HDR with my K-x. Why can't we either use the remote or 2 second delay WITH HDR or Bracketing turned on?
05-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is very strange. I imagine it is something that could address in a firmware update. Whether they do or not is another matter entirely.
05-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
It is very strange. I imagine it is something that could address in a firmware update. Whether they do or not is another matter entirely.
Exactly....*sigh* oh well, back to manual mode adjusting the shutter speeds. Not hard, just a waste of a "feature".
11-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #13

+1 on this issue..

I like my K-x but this particular usability issue is pretty bad. It is just bad design of the firmware that "Drive Mode" and "Shooting Mode" are combined and things like Self-Timer drive or Remote drive (i.e. how shoots are triggered) are considered mutually exclusive with type of shooting (single vs. bracketed shoots). Just does not make sense and reduces value of the hardware.

Does anyone know if this firmware design problem exists in K-r or K-5?

Thx,
ertan.
11-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #14

My k7 also is only able to do or bracketing or timer, not both of them wich kind of makes no sense...
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #15

I see.. I didnt know the situation with the K-7. It does not make sense to me as well. Why would I have to keep my hand on the shutter release button (even if the body is on a tripod) when taking auto-bracketed shots, which are very sensitive to any blur for HDR post-processing? Disabling the self-timer and the remote control in this case is just hard to explain. I am looking at this as a firmware design issue. Combining shooting mode and drive mode into one setting seems to be the root cause.

FYI; I just started a new thread in the K-r Discussion forum asking K-r owners if the new firmware of K-r is making any improvements here.

Thx,
ertan.